1956 Photos, Fred (and Raymond?) Franz

by Fatfreek 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

When I was a 15 year old boy (49 years ago), not yet baptized, Fred Franz came to our KH in New Bedford, Mass. for a weekend of talks. That was a trip of some 220 miles. He brought with him an entourage of some 5 or 6 other Bethelites. I wonder if one of them was his nephew Ray. I'll post a few snapshots I took to see if any of you can help.

Number 74 is one of Fred talking to Henry Judson, our circuit overseer. In between the two, however, is one who is younger and bears some resemblance. Could that be Ray?

Number 76 is one of Fred seated in the front row, probably being introduced for the 3pm public talk (which lasted nearly two hours). Directly behind him is my dad, Wesley. On the same front row, to the left, is Frank Gonsalves, a local.

In the morning, Fred gave a talk to the Portuguese bros. that lasted just short of 3 hours. The locals say he kinda fractured their language, that it was more Spanish than Portuguese.

Fats

• blondie
    blondie

Both look like Fred only to me.

• VM44
    VM44

Wow! Look at the size of that tape recorder!

--VM44

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

They do look very much alike.

• Smiles
    Smiles

Fats,

In #76, the man seated on the left, wearing a light colored suit, looks like Carey Barber, the now 100 year old member of the Governing Body.

In #74a, the man in the background behind Fred Franz does look like Fred's nephew Raymond Franz who later became an "apostate".

It must have been something serious or some major butt kissing for those WT reps to show up at that congregation.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Look at #76 - so when Fred Franz was introduced, there were two brothers towards the back talking away , eh? Such disrespect, even in those times!

• I quit!
    I quit!

Interesting pictures. Those were the Watchtower glory days. Getting ready for the build up for the 1975 campaign, not much opposition, no internet. Happier days for the old false prophet.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I quit:

It was even earlier than that! About 20years earlier, but, like you say, halcyon days in the Borg. In the western world there were good increases from families who had known war and were looking for something better and made a compliant flock.

The build-up to '75 started around '68.

Cheers, Ozzie

• steve2
    steve2

The two Franz's look far too thin and sickly. Where was all the American apple pie in the 1950s? My good old JW mother would have had them fattened up in no time, end of the world on the horizon or not.

• Mary
    Mary

Ah, if only Freddie Kruger Franz were still around to see the Internet and what it's done to his empire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit