So you used to be...

by onacruse 19 Replies latest jw friends

• evita
    evita

Min had an interesting thread not too long ago which I did not respond to but which really burned me up. If I remember correctly he mentioned being irritated by new or infrequent posters who had the nerve to express a strong opinion or give advice to the "elders" or more experienced ones on the board. It so reminded me of the condescending attitude many elders and their wives had toward the so-called "lowly" ones.
    Everyone comes here with unique and varied experiences and abilities. Someone may be new to this forum but may be very knowledgeable about JW history and biblical references. Perhaps they never held a position in the org but may have some personal wisdom to share or even just an opinion.
    I do love hearing from elders or other biggies who left the dubs but I'm also amazed at what others have to share.
    By the way, I was just a lowly, young, unmarried sister. I left so that I could be somebody else.
    Eva

• JW83
    JW83

Maybe those who rose through the ranks are the biggest fools of all?! I myself, gender issue aside, am ashamed that I didn't leave until I was 24 and an aux pio. I wouldn't be able to look at myself if I'd actually made it to the platform or other positions of (laughable) 'responsibilities'. Don't look for respect here, folks ...

• chrissy
    chrissy

If I see someone has more or less posts than I do the only thing that runs through my brain is "oh, so they found this site before/after I did." If anything at all. Usually nothing computes. I could care less.

And titles mean little to nothing. From the tower congregations to this forum, to my POE, what have you. Anyone who has to command respect usually isn't getting respect because they do not deserve to receive it. That's what I have found to be true.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Just before I decided to reply to this I noticed that everybody else has like 5 or more thousand posts and I have like 12 or something.

I have that many posts. I've been here two years. I'm not that highly ranked. A lot of it depends on how much you rub people the wrong way. I tend to rub people the wrong way with some of my posts. But I do get respect from a few posters that I deeply admire. And I hope that I do help people. I don't tend to start threads dealing with doctrinal issues. I found a lot that tedious and overwhelming when I was still active in the org. Most of the "deeper things" of the witnesses were so poorly written and expressed in their publications, that they tied my brain in knots. I am the type that cannot fathom something that is not well written or well edited.

I don't feel like anyone is "lofty" here at JWD. I feel like, for the most part, the men respect the women. I have seen a lot the posters evolve where women are concerned. We do get some posts that objectify women, but then those that posted them tend to get called on the floor for it.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Craig:

I stubbed my toe last night and characterized a long-time poster here as still being an elder

Ya sure it wasn't the other way around? You had evil thoughts and got paid back by stubbing ya toe!

• jgnat
    jgnat

JW83, your comments brought to mind a brief conversation my JW husband and I had with a lady when we were visiting another congregation. In a thirty second conversation she happened to mention that her husband is active on the building committee AND the hospital liaison committee. Wow. I sure knew who the alpha female was in THAT congregation. Notice also that her status was entirely dependent on her husband. I see a few men in the congregation who are egged on by ambitious wives. Some of these men look like they'd rather be golfing.

By the way, no-one else bothered to approach us.

Another time in my church, we were making the rounds introducing ourselves and a young lady introduced herself as "just a housewife." That bothers me to this day. There's no such thing as "just a housewife". Staying at home and raising children takes a great amount of self-motivation and hard work. There are very little external rewards for all that hard labour, the stay-at-home parent has to wait many years to see the fruit of their labour. It also bothered me that this woman may think that MY status is somehow superior, just because I have a paycheque and a title.

• defd
    defd

I agree with this statement Isn't the "leveling" of the playing field one of the most helpful, and healing, aspects of the discussions we have here?

Women are worthless apart from doing the bulk of the ministry in the WTBTS -but on this board; some of the people I respect most are women - Blondie and Leolaia jump immediately to mind but there are so many others and I do not want to list them as it would be disrespectful of those I missed off --- so yes - levelling the playing field and especially from a teaching angle - I have learned a huge amount from women on this board whereas in WT land women are not allowed to teach.We are all equal and that is healing and good.

Man how some can DISTORT and slander the truth so much. You say that "Women are worthless apart from doing the bulk of the ministry in the WTBTS ." Who says? YOU? You also say, " I have learned a huge amount from women on this board whereas in WT land women are not allowed to teach." The WTBTS does not say that women cannot teach. As a matter of fact Most Pioneers ARE women. What do you think a PIONEER does? TEACH. Makes DISCIPLES. If you are refering to women not teaching in the congregation, taking the lead in the Congregational arrrangement, the BIBLE says that they cannot, not the WTBTS!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Man how some can DISTORT and slander the truth so much. You say that "Women are worthless apart from doing the bulk of the ministry in the WTBTS ." Who says? YOU?

Defd says this is a distortion of the 'truth'. Let's take a poll, my friend! I come down as seeing that women do the bulk of the magazine sales, but get nearly no respect otherwise. Many pioneer since that is the only title they can get. But then, my 40 years a witness prob doesn't stack up to defd's few months as a new witness! If that is what he is at all. Jeff

• jgnat
    jgnat

The big eye-opener for me was the separate examination for men and women for completing the TMS. As the convention speaker put it, women would have no occassion to prepare a public talk.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    In some ways, do we tend to show them the same kind of deference we showed them when we were JWs?

The only people I show any deference to are those who can fire or imprison me. I've always been that way. It's probably the reason I never made "progress" in the congregation.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit