Tiramasu

by Mulan 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

What about tiramisu?

Oh, love it, love it, love it! No matter what the meal. it can always be finished with tira.........

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Scully,

Excellent suggestion, I'm sure to get my belly scratched for the effort.

BD

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Ozzie...............you beat me to it!

Tiramisu is a popular Italian dessert and it literally means.............tira (pull)..........mi (me)..........su (up).

Translated from Italian to English it simply means pick-me-up...............and isn't that the truth about Tiramisu!

Italian food names are often associated with feelings or moods. Pasta arabiatta (angry sauce, hot chilli in it), putanesca (slutty), primavera (spring), calzone (big sock/trouser leg) and many others.

Being an italo/australian I often laugh when I order something Italian, using correct pronunciation. The aussie waiter looks at me and I have to re-order the Italian food but with aussie pronunciation. Try ordering a chinotto and calozone to see a confused expression on the waiter's face! LOL

Anyhow, it's been fun sharing. Thanks for the recipe Mulan

Cheers, Bliss

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Try this for size:

Tiramisu

Chef John J. Vyhnanek
    Good Cooking, Inc.

Serving Size: 4
    Preparation Time: 0:40
    Chilling time: 2:00

The recipe is meant to be made in the style of the the picture on the left from La Trattoria in Key West, FL

This creation that had many an Italian crying for more. The cream cheese although not in Italian recipes, adds body. The egg yolks are cooked by the hot sugar so you don't have to worry about raw eggs. Don't pour the sugar in too fast or eggs will curdle! Don't skimp on the quality of the chocolate and cocoa---use the best you can afford, the same applies to the Marsala wine. Also use a good quality dark rum! Fresh brewed espresso is a must, you can even use decaffeinated!

Amount/Measure/Ingredient

4 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup water
    4 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon sweet Marsala wine (+) 2 tablespoons for the espresso mixture. Use the best you can buy!
    4 ounces cream cheese
    6 ounces mascarpone cheese
    8 ounces heavy whipping cream, whipped
    2 cups espresso or strong coffee
    1 ounce dark rum
    2 tablespoons sugar
    24 French-style ladyfingers
    2 tablespoons powdered sweetened cocoa mix
    2 tablespoons grated semi sweet chocolate

Preparation:

Cream Mixture: Cook sugar and water together until it reaches a temperature of between 234° and 240°F o n a candy thermometer, this is the soft-ball stage. At the same time, in an electric mixer, prepare egg mixture by whipping the egg yolks on high speed until pale yellow and thick, then slowly pour in the sugar syrup while mixing on high until the mixture is light and fluffy, Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. With mixer on medium speed, add cream cheese and whip until smooth. Add mascarpone and Marsala. Mix until incorporated. Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate.

Espresso Mixture: To prepare espresso mixture, combine espresso, additional Marsala, dark rum and sugar. Heat to 140 degrees F. then let it cool completely before using it.

To assemble, dip ladyfingers in espresso mixture. Place one layer of dipped ladyfingers on bottom of serving platter. Top with one layer of cream mixture. Add another layer of dipped ladyfingers, topped with a second layer of cream mixture. Sift cocoa over top.

Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Sprinkle with grated chocolate.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Tiramisu is a popular Italian dessert

Yes, please!

Next time....pretty please!

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Next time....pretty please!
    Does that mean sooooooooooooooon?
  • Mulan
    Mulan
    Marilyn have you ever tried making it with a sugar substitute? Like Steivia or Splenda? I know why ruin a good thing.......cept for those pesky little calories!

Kate, I've never tried it with Splenda. Intriguing idea.

Oroborus21, I didn't know about rum. I will substitute rum for the Kahlua next time. Sounds great. It's also really, really good with Kahlua though.

Ozzie, you see how complicated and involved that recipe is? Mine is so delicious and absolutely fool proof. No candy thermometer needed.

• devinsmom
    devinsmom

I used to be a pastry chef for a well known italian restaurant in Milwaukee. The tirimisu I made is super easy and authentic:

Soak lady fingers in 2 parts coffee to one part dark rum (just dip them in quickly by hand)

Line the bottom of a cake pan with them

Mix one quart heavy cream, 2 cups powderd sugar, one tablespoon vanilla to soft peaks

add one lb of mascapone, which can be picked up at any itailian deli or specialty food store

beat till stiff peaks

spread this cream mixture over lady fingers and top with cocoa powder (lightly dusted)

repeat these layers as many times as desired and refriderate for several hours before serving

-April

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Mulan: Make that for us when we visit, eh? "When" is the operative word right now, but we live in hope!

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Mulan: Make that for us when we visit, eh? "When" is the operative word right now, but we live in hope!

You've got it! I sure will do that. Can't wait.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit