Reality TV and talk shows infuriate me.

by Low-Key Lysmith 16 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I can't stand reality TV either. The worst of the worst are on MTV - The Real World and Punk'd.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I agree that "reality" tv shows can be the bottom of the barrel. I also would much rather watch the History Channel or Discovery channel. I cancelled my cable tv subscription about five years ago so now my choice of networks is FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS. PBS barely comes in clearly enough for me to really enjoy it. So having said all that I'll admit that I watch Survivor. Try not to thrash me too badly.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My goodness, such strong opinions!! Let me be the first to disagree.

Totally agree with you Low-Key. I've seen only one episode of a reality show and that was enough for me. I've never seen the Dr Phil show because whenever I've heard him talk, he always seems like a know-it-all jerk to me. Besides, Oprah loves him. I despise Oprah. Hate Jerry Springer too. I avoid that Maury Povich guy. I also hate soap operas and haven't seen one in over 30 years.

What on earth could you have against Oprah? Dr. Phil I understand, because while I loved him at first, I get it now. I don't have to see him say the same things every day. So I haven't watched his show in a couple of years.

But Oprah? Her show is so diverse, with great entertainment, and human interest, new things, fashion, etc. And she is such a humanitarian. Sure, she's rich, but she spreads the wealth around too. I love her life's philosophy.

I like some of the reality shows, but dislike even the premise of some of the others. I really enjoy Survivor very much. I watch The Apprentice and I love American Idol.

I also watch a soap opera. It's a long time habit, and I eat my lunch to As the World Turns everyday.

I seldom watch the Discovery Channel or the History Channel. Sometimes I do, but it's definitely not my regular thing. I do enjoy the Rick Steves travel shows, Antiques Roadshow, and some of the fund raiser shows on PBS, without the endless fund raising. Other than those shows, I seldom watch PBS. Does that make me a bad person?

By the way, I totally agree about Jerry Springer. The nail salon I go to used to have that on seemingly all day. Is it on all day? No matter when I went in there, it was on. It drove me nuts to have to sit there and hear all that garbage. The management changed, and the new people keep the TV off, and play soft music. Much nicer.

• luna2
    luna2

It's nearly impossible for me to watch anything where people are being embarrassed, made to look like fools, or exposing themselves as the fools or degenerates that they are. I've also read enough behind the scenes type articles that I know that the "real" in reality shows is a joke. Most of the stuff is either scripted or edited to be more "exciting" than it really is. I've read of quite a few people faking it in order to appear on Jerry Springer.

I watched Real World on MTV for one season and that was enough. I got drawn into it, but began to feel like a voyeur after a while. Same thing with the Osbournes' show. I don't need to know that much about anybody. LOL Can't do American Idol either as I've never been a fan of talent contests, plus Simon is just too cruel. Daytime talk shows I've never watched because I'm usually at work weekdays. I will occassionally watch Leno, Letterman or Craig Ferguson on The Late, Late Show in the evening...if I get around to turning on the TV.

I do understand why some people like this type of programming, but its generally not my cup of tea.

• Robdar
    Robdar

My goodness, such strong opinions!! Let me be the first to disagree.

Totally agree with you Low-Key. I've seen only one episode of a reality show and that was enough for me. I've never seen the Dr Phil show because whenever I've heard him talk, he always seems like a know-it-all jerk to me. Besides, Oprah loves him. I despise Oprah. Hate Jerry Springer too. I avoid that Maury Povich guy. I also hate soap operas and haven't seen one in over 30 years.

What on earth could you have against Oprah? Dr. Phil I understand, because while I loved him at first, I get it now. I don't have to see him say the same things every day. So I haven't watched his show in a couple of years.

But Oprah? Her show is so diverse, with great entertainment, and human interest, new things, fashion, etc. And she is such a humanitarian. Sure, she's rich, but she spreads the wealth around too. I love her life's philosophy. I quit watching Oprah back in the 80's. Perhaps her show has changedt. But back then, I felt that she was overly sentimental and encouraged others to be the same. Sentimentality is nice but not something that I want to witness everyday.

I seldom watch the Discovery Channel or the History Channel. Sometimes I do, but it's definitely not my regular thing. I do enjoy the Rick Steves travel shows, Antiques Roadshow, and some of the fund raiser shows on PBS, without the endless fund raising. Other than those shows, I seldom watch PBS. Does that make me a bad person?

Now, why on earth would you ask such a question?

By the way, I totally agree about Jerry Springer. The nail salon I go to used to have that on seemingly all day. Is it on all day? No matter when I went in there, it was on. It drove me nuts to have to sit there and hear all that garbage. The management changed, and the new people keep the TV off, and play soft music. Much nicer.

Very true. I was so overjoyed to walk into a pub in Wales only to find Springer on the tv set. No wonder the rest of the world thinks that US citizens are ignorant. Robyn *what is up with the formatting?*

• lola28
    lola28

(((( Mulan))))

You and I like the same things!!!

I love Oprah, not only is her show entertaining but I think that in a lot of cases it is also educational. She talks about things that sometimes are swept under the carpet and to be honest I feel that she is trying to help to make the world a little better.

I also like doctor Phil but don't get to watch him very often because of my job.The only soap that i watch every day is Passions on NBC ( I am addicted).

I have not been a fan of reality tv because some of those shows are disgusting, I can't even watch the ads for them without feeling sick, having said that a few weeks ago I stumbled on a show on VH1 called Breaking Bonaduce (spelling?), and I must say that I am hooked.

lola

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Breaking Bonaduce

I'm hooked too

I like "Dog the Bounty Hunter", "Dirty Jobs", "How Clean is Your House?", "The Surreal Life" and a few other reality shows. But I refuse to watch Jerry Springer or anything else along those lines (totally disgusting).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit