Watchtower Magazine - Statement of Purpose

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

"THE PURPOSE OF THIS MAGAZINE, The Watchtower, is to honor Jehovah God, the Supreme Ruler of the universe. Just as watchtowers in ancient times enabled a person to observe developments from afar, so this magazine shows us the significance of world events in the light of Bible prophecies. It comforts people with the good news that God’s Kingdom, which is a real government in heaven, will soon bring an end to all wickedness and transform the earth into a paradise.  It promotes faith in Jesus Christ, who died so that we might gain everlasting life and who is now ruling as King of God’s Kingdom. This magazine has been published by Jehovah’s Witnesses continuously since1879 and is nonpolitical. It adheres to the Bible as its authority."  (Bold mine)

The above statement was printed in every edition of the Watchtower, on the inside front cover.  It last appeared in December 15th 2012 edition.

The Statement of Purpose (SoP) set a high standard for any Christian author to follow.  It alluded to the very serious responsibility authors have in disseminating the Christian message.   It strongly suggested Christian humility as a prerequisite in that the authors would have to defer to scripture and the context of same, in composing the contents of the magazine rather than yield to personal preference, opinion etc.

I have made two enquiries of websites which are used by Christians who are still JW's or have recently departed. Some "Bethelites" and others in positions of authority are reported as making visits to, and on occasion leaking information to these sites. There has been no leaks that I can discern,  indicating the rationale for the withdrawal of the SoP.  The silence on this imporant issue may be indicative of they too, not having been informed of the rationale for the SoP removal and are (hopefully) equally disturbed at this nihilistic departure.

I understand that most Brothers and Sisters have not noticed the absence of the SoP such has been the surreptitious manner of its withdrawal.  Not in my locality in any case.

This absence of the SoP gives rise to many questions for JW's and for me in particular; some of which include....

A) Can one really trust the WT today in the same way as one might have trusted it pre SoP withdrawal?

B) Is the withdrawal of the SoP merely an honest act on the part of the Gov. Body in that the WT has never lived up to the SoP in any case?

C) If B is true, then should we not be getting back to the Bible as our source of information rather than examining the Bible via the narrow vignette of the WT?  (The Beroens are a good evidentiary example of reliance on the authority of scripture alone.)

D) Why have neither the Gov. Body of JWs nor their subsidiaries on the writing committee demonstrated the elementary courtesy of dignifying the readership by informing their Brothers and Sisters of the SoP removal and reason(s) for such?            

It is written:             

"Do nothing out of contentiousness           

or out of egotism, but with humility           

consider others superior to you".              

- Php. 2:3  NWT

E) Has there been a deterioration in the quality of writing in the WT which has coincided (even approximately) with the withdrawal of the SoP, or in spite of its withdrawal?

F) Have you observed that you are not getting the stimulus from the WT that you perhaps once did?  Could this be related to the abandonment of the SoP as a guiding influence on the magazine's authors?  

G) If the WT no longer takes it's authority from the Bible and we continue to laud it; study it as if it did; are we defacto "followers of men"?H) How can the WT be part of the "food at the proper time" in the absence of the SoP?

Many JW's read "Examining the Scriptures Daily" (ESD) genuinely believing that they are loyally doing just that - examining the scriptures daily.  However, the ESD text is derived from the WT for which the SoP has been surreptitiously withdrawn as already stated.  This ESD text contains 365 excerpts from WT magazines and is thus a good speedy way of "examining" the focus of the magazine.  After all, millions of JW's fill their minds with these textual excerpts on a daily basis.  It is likely a formidable influence on the pyche of JW's.  (It used to be upon me!)  But what are we really getting?

The most significant parts of the statement of purpose for me are as follows....   

1. To honor Jehovah God.   

2. It promotes faith in Jesus Christ.     

3. It adheres to the Bible as its authority.

Yet, if the WT were still pursuing the above purposes despite their withdrawal from print, then why am I lacking the experiences which I used to have in terms of refreshment, stimulation, edification.  I don't think it is I who have changed. I still experience the aforementioned when I read God's Word.  No, I think it is the WT magazine which has changed.  The quality of writing is soporific on the one hand, and demeaning to one's intelligence on the other hand. I understand that three members of the writing committee resigned during 2014 such is their concern for the paucity of references to Jesus for example.  If such is indeed the case, then they are to be respected. 

Thought: we take care of our bodies - keep ourselves hydrate, nourished, avoid unreasonable risks which can be deliterious to our physical well being.  We don't always consider our minds in a parallel way.  By studying the WT and reading excerpts from it daily via the ESD, are we exposing our minds to influences which would be better avoided in the long run?  Are we not honoring Jehovah and his anointed Son if we confine ourselves to reading and pondering his Word in the Bible itself?  Do we really need an ESD text?  It's not something which was paralleled in any way by early Christians!  Would we pay money to read such a poor quality of composition from an author who demonstrates a history of.... 

a) caprice - changes regarding 1914, 1919, 1925, 1975 

b) inaccuracy - "millions now living"... "generation" etc 

c) arrogance - purport to be feeding the sheep and actually seek to micro manage folks.  In most parts of the develop west,       micro manageing people is an example of bullying.

If we do continue reading the WT magazine, then perhaps we should do so with circumspection in view of the absence of the SoP.  It is helpful for me to consult other websites which disect the study articles somewhat.  

Foremost in this practice is the website....               http://meletivivlon.com/about-this-forum/

Another interesting website which offers extensive and detailed information on, for example, the man of lawlessness is....              http://perimeno.ca/Index_A.htm

A fascinating monitor of what is going on in the JW world is that managed by a former elder who is also an MTS graduate.  His site is....              http://jwsurvey.org

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98
    Interesting thread, this deserves a bump
  • millie210
    millie210

Yes it does.

I am one who didn't notice them quietly delete their statement of purpose.

• KillerJones
    KillerJones
    Very well done! I have read this twice and likely will read it again. Great research! Thank you. 
  • wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I didn't notice the removal of the mission statement from the watchtower. Great observation.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

To comprehensively answer your Question d), we can get the answer straight from the horse's own mouth:

km 9/07 p. 3 Question Box

Does "the faithful and discreet slave" endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt. 24:45, 47.

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. They have also held conferences and produced publications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature. (Attending O.S.C.E. conferences by the Org is OK though?) Throughout the earth, Jehovah’s people are receiving ample spiritual instruction and encouragement at congregation meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as through the publications of Jehovah’s organization....so that all of God's people may be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought" [doctrinally hard-wired] and remain "stabilized in the faith." (1 Cor. 1:10; Col. 2:6, 7) [loyal to the Org] Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse [allow] any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight. It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability in support of the good news. However, no personal pursuit should detract from what Jesus Christ [the ORG] is accomplishing through his congregation on earth today. [raking in money & real estate] All Christians should strive to "shun foolish questionings [examining JW dot ORG teachings] and genealogies and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile."—Titus 3:9. For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures, "All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial," and our other publications....These provide abundant material for Bible study and meditation..." [and serious indoctrination!]

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    I had never noticed its removal either!
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

so what else have they omitted? uh, how about Jesus. lol

its amazing how no one notices certain things, its taken for granted.

and searcher, that article is classic

'Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation.'

that's rich, what the hell do they think they are NOT 'an independent study group to analyze a bible...' ?

'Do as we say not as we do' 

'It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability'

wow, thanks so much for patronizing me, WT !

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

So it's official, the magazines have no purpose!!  ( rim-shot) Thanks, I'll be here all week!!

DD

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

here is how the 1989  wt reads

The purpose of The Watchtower is to exalt Jehovah God as the Sovereign of the universe.

It keeps watch on world events as they fulfill bible prophesy. It comforts all peoples with the good news that Gods kingdom will soon destroy those who oppress their fellowmen and that it will turn the earth into a paradise. It encourages faith in the now reigning King Jesus Christ, whose shed blood opens the way for mankind to gain eternal life. The Watchtower   published by Jehovah's Witnesses continuously since 1879 is nonpolitical.It adheres to the bible as its authority.

now, not too different but curiously different.

and lol, Im still looking for the multiple scriptures used by the apostles,  to back up the claim that 'Gods kingdom' will destroy anyone ,let alone ONLY those who oppress their fellowmen,   or that Gods kingdom is going to turn the earth into a paradise.  technically the earth is a paradise, man just sh@#s all over it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit