Who was the Strangest on the Doors?

by individual 19 Replies latest jw friends

• individual
    individual

Yes, who was the strangest person you ever met in the field service, or what was the strangest experience?

I once met a man who claimed that he had invented everything, including the hovermower, the hovercraft and the xylophone. He said he created the hovermower out of dustbin lids attached to an old lawnmower. And apparently we have him to thank for polystyrene... He also caused every major incident in modern history, he had chats with world governments whenever there was a problem.

Another strange character was a person who was convinced that she would speak to her grandmother, who had died several years ago, and at night she would come out of the cupboard and talk to her... weird. I didnt get very far with either of them.. although they would have been ideal for the meetings since most of them there seem to have psychological problems!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    He also caused every major incident in modern history, he had chats with world governments whenever there was a problem.

Are you sure it wasn't Joe Rutherford??

w75 9/1 519 Insight on the News One young promiscuous woman who received a kidney from her older, conservative, well-behaved sister, at first seemed very upset. Then she began imitating her sister in much of her conduct.

• Angharad
    Angharad

I had an old lady once, who said that Jesus came a stood at the end of her bed every night and watched her. Oookkkkaayy backing down the drive.

• logical
    logical

The strangest person the JW's in my hall ever called on was me.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, logi, there were some pretty strange characters inside the Kingdom Halls. In Oz we have some veerrrry strange elders too! (OK, OK, there's some nice ones too! - You see I can be nice on a Monday. )

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"Evil is the absence of empathy"
    Movie (2000), Nuremberg

• joelbear
    joelbear

There was the woman who said animals floated all around her bed at night.

There was the guy who threatened to kill me who looked like his face had been ripped on and then sewn back on Frankenstein style (not kidding).

There was the attack hog that I have mentioned here before.

There was the lady I studied with whose house was so filthy that you could barely breathe. There were mice and roaches everywhere so I kept my feet bouncing up and down to try to make sure nothing crawled up my pants legs. We could only study for about 15 minutes at a time.

hugs

Joel

• blondie
    blondie

I was all prepared to say Jim Morrison.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

The strangest person I ever met at the door was this pregnant woman who claimed that she had been "pregnant for Jesus for seven years now"
    Well now there then! We didn't stick around too long to find out more info about how she was doing this

• Francois
    Francois

Working in the rurals in the hollows of the mountains of the state of Tennessee. And I mean waaaaaaaaay back out in the mountains, up one-lane gravel roads past where the electric poles ended. And not a man-made sound could be heard.

Get out of the car and walk up to the front of the "house" perched on a drop-off and luckily reading the message etched in acid on the glass of the front door: JESUS ONLY.

And they damn will meant that thing.

Back down backwards off that front porch and hustle around to the back door where lesser beings are expected to call. "Howdy neighbor. I'm here to talk to you about Jesus."

I might as well have been handing out hundred dollar bills.

"Come on in, son, you're just in time for dinner."

"I really don't think..."

"NONSENSE BOY. We welcome the company. And today we're havin...Why, it's hotter'n' blue blazes out here, get those folk outta that car and get 'em on inside here. HATTIE? YOU HATTIE? Company for dinner, old woman. Get three, no four, more plates on the table."

It was the simple faith of people like this, devoid of any guile, that made me ashamed of what I was doing. Peddling worthless shit to these people. Hustling shit that was going to change next week, or next month, or year anyway. There are many reasons I left the lifeless to themselves, and this is just one of 'em.

Francois

NOTE TO GOVERNING BODY: You've been challenged to a debate, boys. Dont you have ANY balls?

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

Francoise,

I've heard similar stories about those that had gone to preach where the need was greater (certain parts of Kentucky in particular). The people are just as you describe them and we even had some in the hall put on a little skit showing what it was like witnessing to them.

One couple played a "hillbilly" couple, man whittling wood and all, and another couple played themeselves as witnesses. I remember thinking how much easier it would be to talk about the Bible with such humble people.
    That's what the skit tried to convey, that it was a rollicking, great time and easy to make placements and feel good about preaching. They were trying to sell the idea of going there for two weeks to more of us in our hall.

"When caught between two evils I generally pick the one I've never tried before." Mae West

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit