This One Is For Scholar And His Celebrated WT Scholars

by Honesty 68 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have some quotes from several respected bible linguists regarding the New World Translation:

Dr. Julius Mantey - "A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament" calls the New World Translation "a shocking mistranslation".

Dr. Bruce Metzger, late professor of New Testament at Princeton University -"a frightful mistranslation", "erroneous", "pernicious", and "reprehensible".

Dr. William Barclay asserted that "the deliberate distortion of truth by this sect is seen in their New Testament translation... It is abundantly clear that a sect which can translate the New Testament like that is intellectually dishonest."

Dr. Robert Countess, who wrote a doctoral dissertation on the Greek of the New World Translation, concluded that the translation "has been sharply unsuccessful in keeping doctrinal considerations from influencing the actual translation... It must be viewed as a radically biased piece of work. At some points it is actually dishonest. At others it is neither modern nor scholarly."

British scholar Dr. H.H. Rowley asseted, "From beginning to end this volume is a shining example of how the bible should not be translated." he also said this translation is "an insult to God."

My conclusion as to the intent of the New World Translation translaters is they worded it in such a way that it virtually strips Jesus of His absolute diety and places the average Jehovah's Witness in the unenviable position of being forced to acknowledge two Gods instead of the one God of the bible, as demonstrated at John 1:1 in the New World Translation.

John 1:1

In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

all one has to do is read another translation of the bible to realise that the NWT is a little off, to say the least... but, since no JW would dare do that, there are no worries!

bethel

• inquirer
    inquirer

Jason BeDuhn would go even further than the John 1:1... He says it should "a divine being" instead of the word was a god!

He also said in his book the NWT and the NAB are both remarkable translations! I am very certain he is not a JW too.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Who is jason debuhn?

• Buster
    Buster
    has been sharply unsuccessful in keeping doctrinal considerations from influencing the actual translation

In the 70's I remember hearing a tape recording of good ole Freddy answering questions about the NWT. When questioned on a very specific word, he was quite proud of the fact that one should, and needed to understand the scriptures in order to translate them. He had no concept that he was proudly promoting circular logic.

Funny how it made perfect sense to me then.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    When questioned on a very specific word, he was quite proud of the fact that one should, and needed to understand the scriptures in order to translate them. He had no concept that he was proudly promoting circular logic.

Indeed, although there is something true to it: what you don't understand you cannot translate.

The problem with many confessional translations, but especially obvious in the NWT, is the extra-textual imperative of doctrinal synthesis which interferes with the exegesis of every particular text.

After all, the NWT suits the JWs' main use of the Bible: not to be read but quoted as separate verses to fit into the WT doctrinal construction.

• inquirer
    inquirer

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761825568/qid=1128073002/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-5851750-6197654?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Jason Beduhn wrote a book called Truth in Translation.

He compares 9 major translation of the Greek Scriptures: KJV, NRSV, NWT, AB, NAB, GNB, NIV, NASB and the LB.

You'd be surprised how biased ALL THE TRANSLATIONS ARE!

• Balsam
    Balsam

Concerning the book TRUTH IN TRANSLATION a reviewer brought out this:

Reviewer:Stephen C. Donahue (United States) - See all my reviews

Since I am very much aware that Dr. BeDuhn's major is NOT NT Greek, nor is he a Greek scholar, nor a translator, and is not really 'in' to the Bible Translators community, I can put this book in its proper perspective. Furthermore, when I noted exactly which particular Biblical verses in this book were being analysed, AND that the 'New World Translation' of Jehovah's Witnesses was used as a version worthy of comparison, I saw exactly which ways the winds were blowing, and behold! Which version does Dr. BeDuhn think is the greatest thing since sliced bread(my words)? The New World Translation! I have since learned that he uses the KIT(Kingdom Interlinear Translation) in his classes as Northern Arizona State University. His opinions are just that: his opinions, which do not coincide with 99.9% of Greek scholars.To even presume that the Jehovah's Witness bible is correct on these issues would be funny if it weren't so tragic. Some of Dr. BeDuhn's criticisms are worthy of consideration, many are not. This is just another book to place on my three-shelves worth of books on English Bible translations: nothing spectacular here whatsoever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So one needs to know just who is writing the book and understand their perspective. I would listen quicker to a real biblical scholar for the greek language. Anyway this is a publication that JW use to back up how wonderful their bible is.

• scholar
    scholar

Honesty

What is precisely your point? All that you have done is post the comments of critics on the scholarship of the NWT. Celebrated WT scholars boldly attest to the genius of the NWT Committee in producing the the most brilliant translation of the Bible ever made. The comments made by spiteful scholars clearly demonstrate their jealousy over the fact that the Lord raised up humble men to translate the Bible in accurate, modern speech in order people of many tongues could access its wondrous truths.

scholar JW

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

J. BeDuhn's book has been discussed here a few months ago. I came across his e-mail address on the Internet and sent him the link in case he wished to join in. No reply thus far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit