Think Stephen King has personal experience with JWs? (long read)

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Disclaimor:

The following is text directly from a Stephen King (under his pen-name of Richard Bachman) novel called The Regulators. If the mods must delete this for copyright or other legal reasons, so be it. However, my intent is not to in any way ripoff King, or somehow rob him of sales revenue-the book is great in my opinion, you should go out and buy it if you're intrigued.

It just struck me as so simliar to what many of you have described of Witness attitudes and beliefs that I thought it might be interesting to people here. Note: the text is in the form of a diary entry about a housewife's little boy who lost his favorite toy. In the book it's in a font that makes it look like handwriting, thus the italics. Highlighting is by me, to indicate particularly JW-like places. [...] is by me as well, to show places where I cut a bit out, otherwise this would have been twice as long.

June 13, 1995

Around 3:00, while I was vacuuming, there was a knock on the kitchen door. I opened it & there stood Mr. Hobart from down the street, and his son, who is a pudgy redhaired boy with thick glasses and pasty skin. Sort of repulsive looking, if you want to know the truth. The kid had a Dream Floater van in his arms. There was no question it was Seth's. I didn't have to see the broken tail-light and the scratch up the driver's side to see that, but as a matter of fact I could see both. You could have knocked me over with a broom-straw. I tried to say something & couldn't, my throat was locked up. I don't know what would have come out if I had been able to talk.

It's hot today, mid 80s, but WM. Hobart was dressed like a church deacon (which I'm sure he is) in a black suit and shoes. His kid was wearing the junior version of the same getup, & was snivelling. Had a pretty good bruise on one cheek, too. I'd bet my bank account his old man put it there.

It didn't matter that I couldn't talk, because Hobart had the whole thing scripted. "My son has something to say to you, Mrs. Wyler," he said, then looked down at the boy as if to say you're on, don't fuck it up. "Hugh?"

Snivelling harder than ever, Hugh said he'd given in to the Tempting Voice of Satan [edited for length by me]... He talked real fast, crying harder & harder as he went along. The kid finished by saying, "You can go to the police and I will make a full confession. You can spank me, or my Dad will spank me." ...[edited for length]... "I am very sorry," the kid says, still rapping it out as fast as if it was on cue-cards in from of him. "I have asked Lord Jesus for forgiveness, and now I am asking you for forgiveness."

[edited] "The boy also has to apologize to your son," Mr. Hobart said. He looks like Moses with a clean shaven face and a good haircut, if you can imagine Moses in a double-vented three-piece from Sears. [...] "If you'll just lead us to him, Mrs. Wyler-"

I'll be damned if the self-righteous SOB didn't start trying to push his way right in! [...] "Seth's not my son, he's my nephew," I said, "and he's taking a nap right now." "Very good," Hobart says, giving a stiff little nod. "We will come back later. Is tonight convenient? If not, I can bring Hugh back tomorrow afternoon. I can ill afford to take off a second afternoon-I work at the stamping mill in Ten Mile, you know-but God's buiness must always take precedence over man's."

[...] all this time, I swear it's true, the kid's looking around like he wants to see if there's anything else worth hawking. I'd say the day is going to come when Hughie winds up on some shrinky-dink's couch, except that people like the Hobarts don't much believe in shrinks, do they?

I herded them out the door & kept them going right down the walk, I mean I was on a roll. The kid, meanwhile, is asking "Do you forgive me? Do you forgive me?" over & over again like a broken record. By the time I got them down to the sidewalk, I realized I was furious with them both. Not just because of the hell we've been through but because they both acted like I was somehow responsible for the the thieving little fart's immortal soul. Plus I kept remembering the way his eyes were going everywhere, seeing what we had in our house that he didn't have in his his.

[I asked] how Hugh Hobart had come to lift Seth's Power Wagon in the first place. Pere and fils exchanged a glance at that. It was a funny, uneasy glance, and I realized neither of them much minded the idea of a spanking or even a visit from the cops, but they didn't much like the idea of talking about the actual theft itself. Not one little bit. No wonder the fundamentalists hate the Catholics so much. The idea of going to confession must make their balls shrivel.

[...] one of the things they do as good church members is to "spread the Gospel". This means leaving tracts like the one Herb found sticking out of our mailbox, the one about a million years in hell & not one drink of water. William and Hugh do this together, a father-and-son type of thing, I guess, a holy substitute for Little League or touch football. They stick mostly to houses that look temporarily empty, wanting "to spread the word & plant the seed, not engage in debate" (William Hobart's words), or they put their little love-notes under the windshields of cars on the street.

They must've hit our place right after we left for Milly's. Hugh ran up the driveway and stuck the tract under the milkbox, and of course he saw Dream Floater wherever Seth put it down. Later, after his father had declared him off-duty for the rest of the day but before we got back from the mall, Hugh wandered back up the street...& gave in to the ever-popular TVS (Tempting Voice of Satan). His mother found the Power Wagon yesterday, Monday, while Hugh was at school & she was cleaning up his room. Last night they had a "family conference" about it, then called their minister for his advice, had a little over-the-phone prayer, and now here they were.

Once the story was out, the kid started in on "Do you forgive me" again. The second time through, I sad, "Quit saying that." He looked like I'd slapped him and his father's face got all stiff. I didn't give a crap. [...] Hugh backed a step away from me, and I could see in his face that this wasn't going the way it was supposed to, & he hated me for it. [...] "We'll leave you now Mrs. Wyler, if you're finished." Hobart said. "Hugh has got a lot of meditation to do. In his room. On his knees."

"But I'm not finished," I said. "Not quite." [...] "Hugh," I said, "you know that people only have to ask forgiveness if they do something wrong, don't you?" He nodded cautiously...like he was testifying in a trial & thought one of the lawyers was laying a trap. "So you know that stealing Seth's toy was wrong." He nodded again, more reluctantly than ever. By then he was practically hiding behind his father's leg, as if he were three instead of eight or nine.

"Mrs. Wyler, I hardly think it's necessary to browbeat the boy," his old man said. Unbelievable prig! He's willing to let me turn the kid over my knee & whale on his ass like it was a snare drum, but when I want the kid to say out loud that he did wrong, all at once it's abuse. There's a lesson in this, but I'll be damned if I know what it is.

"I'm not browbeating him, but I want you to know that the last few days have been very difficult around here," I said. It was the adult I was answering but still the kid I was really talking to. "Seth loves his Power Wagons very much. So here is what I want, Hugh. I want you to tell me that what you did was wrong, and it was bad, and you're sorry. Then we'll be done."

[...] "Mrs. Wyler, do you think that's really necessary?" Hobart asked. "Yes sir," I said. "More for your son than for me." "Dad, do I have to?" he whines. He's still giving me the death-ray look from behind his smeary glasses. "Go on and tell her what she wants to hear," Hobart said. "Bitter medicine is best swallowed in one gulp." Then he patted the kid on the shoulder, as if to say yes, she's being mean, a real bitch, but we have to put up with it.

"It-was-wrong-it-was-bad-I'm-sorry." the kid says, like he's back on cue-cards. Glaring at me the whole time-no more tears or snivelling. I looked up & saw the same stare coming form the father. The two of them never looked more alike than they did right then. People are amazing. They came up the street, scared but sort of exalted at the idea of getting crucified, just like their boss did. Instead I made the kid admit what he was, & it hurt, & they both hated me for it.

July 6, 1995

Someone shot the Hobarts' pet Angora cat last night. Apparently nothing left but blood & fur. Kim says Irene H. is hysterical, thinks everyone on the street is out to get them because they know the Hobarts are going to heaven & the rest of us are going to hell. "so they are making this hell on earth for us" is what she told Kim. She begged Kim to tell her who did it, said Hugh was devastated, wouldn't come out of his room, just lay there on his bed, crying and saying was all his fault cause he was a sinner. When Kim said she didn't know and didn't think anyone on Poplar Street would shoot the Hobarts' cat, Mrs. Hobart said Kim was just like the rest & told her they weren't friends anymore. Kim very upset, but not as upset as I am. [...]

If you read this far, thanks for your patience. So whaddya think, King knew some Witnesses, or what?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have a son named Stephen King and he has personal experience with JW's.

He got a lot of attention because of his name, in case you wondered. We named him that, long before the author was writing best sellers, or anything, for that matter.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Here in the Bible belt, it isn't just the JW's knocking on your door. I had a bunch of pentecostals come by my house one evening. They invited me to their revival. When I politely declined, they asked me, with a very stern look, if I had accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior. If I had said "no", I am sure they would have smacked me around. On retrospect, I wish that I would have said "hail Satan".

So, my answer to your question is although I am sure that King is aware of the JWs, I don't think that he was targeting them.

• Iforget
    Iforget

I read everything Stephen King puts out. He doesn't single any particular religion out but he uses things in every day life in his books. He is smart and very aware so it doesn't shock me that he writes and uses everything around him in the world.

His home in Bangor is surrounded by a beautiful fence with spiders and webs and different things on it. It would shock me if a witness actually tried to go up to the house. It looks scary and given what he writes I am sure they are already afraid of the "demon".

King is an amazing gifted writer and I can't wait for his next book!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I happen to know a former jdub fam whose daughter's recent "SO" is working in collaboration with King currently, so I'm sure King's privvy to the inner workings of the witless society, both now and in the past.

Frannie

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

King has specifically mentioned JWs in two books that I am aware of:

In "The Stand", the main bad guy, Randall Flagg, wanders the Earth causing discord and corruption. He carries different tracts and propaganda in his pockets, KKK literature, Black Power literature (this was written in the '70s) and even a "JW Tract" (but not really, since it's titled "If you can answer these Ten Questions correctly, then you are Saved!". Knowing the Witness doctrine on being Saved, it doesn't fit.)

In "The Dead Zone", Johnny Smith's mother goes a little nutso in her old age, subscribing to all sorts of religious publications, including JW literature. But once again, he gets it wrong, as the article from the literature he mentions talks about UFOs being messengers from God.

King's mother in real life was an old timey Methodist, and a lot of her ideas about religion must be what inspires his "fundamentalist" characters, ie. Carrie White's mother in "Carrie".

On a side note, Joseph Wambaugh wrote a lot of brilliant police fiction in the seventies and eighties. Invariably, one of the police officer characters in his stories would be married to a JW, and the marriage was never happy. Either the wife was a frigid harridan married to man with a weak personality ("The Choirboys"), or she would become a Witness after the marriage, causing problems that would lead the husband to cheat on her ("Lines and Shadows"). I don't think he cared much for Witnesses either.

One last one:Mario Vargas Llosa, the Peruvian writer, wrote and incredibly funny book called "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter" (which became a lousy movie with Keaunu Reeves and Peter Falk called "Tune in Tomorrow"). The "scriptwriter" creates soap opera stories for radio. One story involves a police detective assigned to investigate an alleged rape. The accused is a JW. The detective has a vague familiarity with JWs, only because he had one call at his house one time. He politely took the magazines, and from then on, the JW would appear at his door "with stellar promptness and regularity" and nothing he would do could convince this guy to quit calling on him. Eventually, he had to move!

Back to the plot, the JW is so upset to learn he has been accused of such a crime, that gets ahold of a knife, pulls down his pants, and offers to cut off his own penis to prove his innocence. Yikes! What happens next? I don't know, because that was the end of that particular radio play's chapter for the day....

Y'know, it's interesting and aggravating that for such a "widely preached" religion, no one ever gets it right when we are portrayed in mass media. The only ones that ever seem to get an accurate portrayal are Catholics and Jews, which figures since that seems to be the majority of writers for novels and screenplays....

• enigmatic
    enigmatic

thats right captain! i have read about a dozen stephen king books and knew the jw's were mentioned somewhere but could not place it, but you hit it right on! i am personally a big fan of stephen king, i love the dark tower series but have only made it thru the third book, i need to buy the rest...lol

• avishai
    avishai
    but not really, since it's titled "If you can answer these Ten Questions correctly, then you are Saved!". Knowing the Witness doctrine on being Saved, it doesn't fit.)

In "The Dead Zone", Johnny Smith's mother goes a little nutso in her old age, subscribing to all sorts of religious publications, including JW literature. But once again, he gets it wrong, as the article from the literature he mentions talks about UFOs being messengers from God

Sure it fits. Things are always slightly different, depending on what "alternate king universe" he's writing in. Sometimes things are slightly different from this plane.........

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Mr King lives within walking distance of me and we see him about.Bangor Maine has been heavily 'apostasized' so it's possible he knows the dissident side too.

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

looks to me that mr. king uses his gawd given right (write) to embellish, exaggerate, hyperbolize & conglomerate. IMHO those two figures at the door represent all that he hates in organized religious society. he's combined witnesses with pentecostals, the amish and baptist into a fictitious/or a hyperbolized non-fictitious occurance. i'm sure he's met or observed someone extreme from each sect.

altalt

either way...a look into his mind is a carnival ride into hell.

-whip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit