Russell as "That Servant"; Re: Dunsscot

by AlanF 82 Replies latest jw friends

• dunsscot
    dunsscot

:As usual, Dummy, your discussion is full of words that merely pretend to be arguments. I could once again dissect them, but you're obviously incapable of rational thought when you think that by beating a minor point to death you can score points. So I won't. Besides, "I'm leavin' on a jet plane" for vacation in a couple of hours and couldn't take the time even if I thought it would do any good.:

You probably need a vacation after the linguistic beating you just took. Rest well, AF. You sure need it! Instead of showing me evidence that the medievals, who devised the formula Q.E.D., ever used this abbreviation to mean "quod erat demonstratum"--you depart with more argumentum ad hominem. Ave atque vale!

:The real focus of this thread is on the fact that C. T. Russell was an arrogant, haughty man. The fact that you reject explicit statements from "the faithful and discreet slave" that immediately succeeded Russell in that position speaks volumes about your devotion to truth.:

The magazines have never claimed to be infallible. As we grow in knowledge, we must be willing to adjust our viewpoints. Have you ever thought about the possibility that the WT discovered it made a mistake in 1916 when it said Russell claimed to be the FDS in private? No, that could not be possible! But in the face of NO evidence, your assertions fall flat on their face for now. Q.E.D.

Duns the Scot

"Nobody is taller than himself or herself."

• seven006
    seven006

I hate to see intelligent people resort to nit picking. Alan, I'm going to smack the shit out of you. Quit calling Dun's a dummy, he is far from that. He has strong convictions that force him to try and wrap his intelligence around unstable theory and he is trying to hold on to them as well as he can, that doesn't make him a dummy. In a different setting I think you two would make great friends and we could all kick back and have a few drinks and make fun of really stupid people.

Both of you need a good ass whoopen. Try and play a little nicer or I'm going to take both of your dictionaries away. Some times my smart friends are more of a pain in the ass
    then my stupid ones.

Dave

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

An old american southern proverb says: "ya can't have but one rooster in the barnyard".

Sometimes, without malice, it appears we have many "roosters" posting in the forum. I have spoken with Alan and find him genuine, concerned, informative, respectful and wise.

I have not had this opportunity with MadApostate or DUNS. I cannot therefore comment on their demeanor. But given the radical comportment and direction this thread has taken, it is obvious we have traveled beyond a stalemate.

It reminds me of a story about Erwin Rommel, the desert fox of the Afrika Korps in WWII. Many times, due to lack of natural and logistical resources, Field Marshal Rommel would resort to crafty, cunning, shrewd and deceptive maneuvers to avoid, circumvent, escape, outrun, mislead, and confuse the enemy. Once, when Rommel learned about plans concerning a major allied counter-attack, he ordered troops to build wooden tanks! The tanks were painted with Afrika Korps markings and insignia and then conspicuously "parked" in open desert. Once enemy scouts viewed the armour, and took a count, "Monty" decided to call off the blitz.

You see, it is difficult to acquiesce in this forum. Ideas, thoughts, concepts are posting every second and the information is valuable (once sifted for personal attacks), therefore, I think DUNS and MAD should cease the attack on Alan, and in return, everyone return to true sanctioned academic discussions.

While many of us are on different sides of the WTBS, we should not interfere with the learning process. There is strength in admitting defeat and honor in humility.

• Anchor
    Anchor

: The magazines have never claimed to be infallible.

That's the biggest laugh you've given us so far. Of course they have not so claimed. Neither does the Governing Body. Yet they expect and demand to be treated that way.

Try deviating from their teaching publicly ever so slightly. You will be disfellowshipped in the blink of an eye, or if you manage a spirited defense they will declare you have disassociated yourself by your profession of beliefs. I suspect you know that all too well.

May you never find yourself in the back of a darkened Kingdom Hall facing illiterate but nonetheless appointed-by-Jehovah's-spirit elders, who ask you if you truly believe the men on the Governing Body are God's instrument, his Channel of truth.

This whole QED thing clearly started as a posit that there should NOT be quibbling over words, rather Maximus asked you to provide the substance of what YOU believe, not the quotations of others. The way you have gone about beating and stamping this silly whose-point-of-view into the ground just shows you want to obfuscate, not to arrive at truth.

Not different from the Society whom you embrace and for whom you apologize so ineffectually.

Anchor

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Homus, non debes esse bonus? Si si, responde mea carta scritta antes. Fio honorus de practicar con teum et cognoscere litterae novus!

Non timere, non sunto hostis malus.

Virtus et Veritas!

• joelbear
    joelbear

Bilgewater Duns,

Where did Paul and/or Jesus or any of the apostles specifically seek out ex-Christians and argue with them about their level of knowledge on any subject.

You like to argue, so you do.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Ok, Dave, I'll quit calling Dummy "Dummy" for awhile. As for whoopin' ass, you and whose mother?

UR, your little Latin ditties are not being answered by Dunny. I wonder why?

As for you, Dunny, since your 'arguments' consist entirely of unsupported bald assertions and denials, with nary a shred of actual argument, and you continue in this foolish mode of discussion post after post, your claim to have given me a "linguistic beating" reminds of the Black Night in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", hopping around on his stumps and waving what's left of arms, hollering "Come back and fight like a man!"

Additionally:

:: The real focus of this thread is on the fact that C. T. Russell was an arrogant, haughty man. The fact that you reject explicit statements from "the faithful and discreet slave" that immediately succeeded Russell in that position speaks volumes about your devotion to truth.

: The magazines have never claimed to be infallible.

Oh please! Not with a direct statement like, "The Watch Tower magazine is infallible." But certainly in other words and certainly by the Watchtower Society's actions against any who disagree. Go to Osarsif's website and look in my article "The WTS and the End of the World": http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm . There you'll find a quote from a 1923 Watch Tower where the Society explicitly claims that its prediction that Armageddon would come in 1925 was even more firmly established than was God's revelation to Noah about the coming Flood. If God's revelation to Noah was inspired, and if the 1925 prediction was even better established than an inspired utterance, then the Society was most certainly claiming that its prediction was inspired.

Here is a partial quote:

Question: Did the order go forth eight months ago to the Pilgrims to cease talking about 1925? Have we more reason, or as much, to believe the kingdom will be established in 1925 than Noah had to believe that there would be a flood? ...

As to Noah, the Christian now has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had (so far as the Scriptures reveal) upon which to base his faith in a coming deluge.

Since The Watch Tower was at that time, according to today's Watchtower Society, the printed mouthpiece of "the faithful and discreet slave", and it was at that time declaring all sorts of "Bible truths", it follows that "the slave" was then declaring that its interpretation of the Bible was infallible, since that interpretation was better than God's direct revelation to Noah.

: As we grow in knowledge, we must be willing to adjust our viewpoints. Have you ever thought about the possibility that the WT discovered it made a mistake in 1916 when it said Russell claimed to be the FDS in private? No, that could not be possible!

Such an assertion is revisionist nonsense. The fact is that the entire Bible Student community believed and taught as "God's truth" that Russell was "the faithful and wise servant". It suited his purposes to allow them to say such in public so that he didn't have to.

How do you think the Society would have "discovered it made a mistake in 1916"? That issue of The Watch Tower was written by Russell's close associates. They knew exactly what he taught and admitted in private.

You're grasping mightily at straws here, Dunny.

: But in the face of NO evidence, your assertions fall flat on their face for now. Q.E.D.

No evidence? A string of direct quotes from the mouthpiece of "the faithful and discreet slave class" is "no evidence"?

In reality, your denials are supported by no evidence. You can't produce a single bit of evidence that Russell did not claim to be "that servant". You can't produce any evidence or even any actual reason that pre-1927 Watchtower teachings should be rejected. You haven't touched the fact in the 1897 book The Battle of Armageddon Russell explicitly declared that "the faithful and wise servant" had to be an individual, and therefore implied that that individual had to be him since it could be no other. Your failures, my friend, constitute "no evidence".

AlanF

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Very strong and very convincing. I anxiously await the rebuttal.

• JT
    JT

Keep writing I love it!

I can see you use big word and philosphy to hide behined.
    Maybe that's why you studied it so hard because you love to hide behined it, it's your protection.

BUT IT WON'T WORK HERE.

######

Well said my man- when one considers the basic position of jw - it IS funny watching this dude post- consider vast amount of hours that are spent YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT on the school and service meeting pounding it into the heads of jw KISS -KISS -KISS- KISS

"KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"

and then we have a guy who comes here among for the most part regular old folks who might not be to educated , but damn surely knows when someone got Dog DO DO on thier shoes when they come into the house- smile

I have sent 13 NON JW to this thread and to the man and woman they have Laughed at this clown.

i fel much like you KEEP ON POSTING MY MAN -

IT IS like i always say "If we had to make this stuff up, we could never come up with stuff this good"

james

• JT
    JT

chuck d

says
    Perhaps I am missing the point; I am but a simple lad whose own knowledge of Latin doesn't go much beyond my being able to read the menu in a Latin restaurant. Is it that you are simply contending that Russell never used the actual words "God's Mouthpiece" when speaking about himself? A "yes" or "no" answer to this question, with no quotations from philosophers living or dead, will help me greatly.

#####

nice post - straight to the heart and soul of a man trying his best to duck

james

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit