Do you hide you JW family's practice of shunning from non-JW family?

by kwintestal 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garybuss
    garybuss

I told the front page of the local daily paper.
    http://www.freeminds.org/buss/argus_leader.htm
    The shunners are jerks. Screw em!

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Robert King/You Know/E-Watchman once told me on H2O that JWs and the Watchtower never used the terms "shunning" or "shun." It didn't take me long to prove him wrong. But I suppose he's not, or wasn't since he's DF'd now, alone under that misconception. And I think a lot of JWs think that extreme shunning is just downright mean.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

It's backward, but some dark part of me is laying plans for the possibility I get kicked-out and shunned by my parents. Then I'll be able to disabuse my aunt and uncle of the notion that JWs don't disown family members who disagree with the Org as well as reach out to the aunt and uncle who are inactive.

• Sassy
    Sassy

well my sister has been dfd and shunned for years by my mom, so our non JW family already knows. I never shunned her when I was still a JW but sometimes I took some heat from non JW family because my mom did.. I'd have to explain to them that I didn't shun or agree w/ the practice..

any way, now that I am out, they know how mom will treat me..

they just see me as hope that one day she will leave too...

my bigger question has been what do I tell my bf's mom? I've avoided it for a long time and with her living in New Jersey, us in California and my mom in Minnesota, it hasnt' been all that difficult....

but the day that we get real serious and say,.. well if we got married.. she is going to wonder where my mom is... I'm thinking I should start to give her some info...

• evita
    evita

I was always very honest with my dad, my in-laws and my friends regarding my mom shunning me off and on for 20 years. They mostly didn't really understand and just thought I didn't get along with my mom. When she died and they saw how devastated I was and what a loss the years of shunning had been, they finally got it.
    Eva

• Will Power
    Will Power

"For evil to thrive, good people do nothing".....

Abuse of any kind, and this type of shunning is abuse, emotional, spiritual, physical, financial, anyway you look at it will always continue as long as it stays hidden and they don't have to be accountable or take any responsibility.

How many split families, ruined lives, suicides, depression, dysfunction, etc. result from such unchristian behaviour? They try and excuse it by convincing themselves & others that it is the ultimate form of love, hurts them more than you.

That is a crock and people have a right to know when their loved ones are being abused and emotionally blackmailed.

wp

• kilroy2
    kilroy2

I tell every one that will listen, it is a badge of shame.

• Anitar
    Anitar

This may come as little comfort to the ones who are shunned, but believe me, your better off without them. By their fruits you will know them. You would not eat fruit that expired in 1975 would you?

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I take every opportunity I can to make sure that the non-JWs know how appaling the JWs are acting. The JWs deserve it, they'll only look as bad as they are. If they want to look decent, they should act decently.

Actually in our family's case, it's really the only way to get through to them. The only thing that my family really cares about is 'how it looks'. As my brother-in-law told me the other day, at this time they and their organisation looks like a 'pile of steaming dog shyte'. I'm glad; and if I could only get it through to them.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I used to do this but now I don't anymore...Well my dad was the only JW on his side, but my mom(dub) has 2 sisters/BIL's that are dubs too...Sad to say I kinda avoid going to my grandmother's house (mom's mom) when I know her sis's and bil's are there...and when i do happen to show up and they're there my uncles usually find some way to ask me when are they gonna see me at the hall again...NOT!!!

Funny this topic is on here tho cuz one of my cousins is graduating this month from college and I'm debating if I should go because the dub relatives are gonna be there...but like I told my brother I'm not gonna let them run me from my cousin's graduation..but the sad thing is seems like to me that my mom's whole side of the family shun me because of the dubs shunning me...(did i say that right???) it maybe just my paranoia but just sometimes i get a vibe that because the dub relatives don't talk to me (because of my devil-horns growing out my forehead) that my other relatives seem to think i'm doing bad stuff too and treat me as the black sheep of the family...i tell my mom about it and she always says its just my imagination....but i rarely get invited to "family" stuff that's not on a holiday or birthday party because the dub fam is invited too and they not even the ones giving it...but if its xmas, thksgiving, or birthday i get a invite then cuz dubs won't be present...like they all punish me in some way..

I'm so glad no one else on my dad's side is a JW or else I'd go crazy...nothing like having a grandma that you can talk to about anything...wisdom wisdom wisdom and plus she shares her true feelings about the dubs...its always so funny..she rants more than i do about them...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit