My mother attended a non-JW wedding reception today

by findingmyway 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

My parents's best friends' (Bro. Elder and Sis. Pioneer) eldest unbaptized son got married today to his second child's mother. My mother attended the reception. So in essence, she celebrated the wedding of someone who was raised a JW, but never chose to dedicate his life. Do you think she'll come to my wedding reception (her df'd daughter) if I get married? [This is a rhetorical question.]

What's the difference? I know that she can justify that he isn't df'd so she can support him, but my mother is an extremist. She watches my sister's 3 year old son and does not allow him to watch cartoons because they are not upbuilding. She didn't allow us to watch Scooby Doo as children. She doesn't think that my son should be a member of the local boys & girls club. But she can go a wedding reception of someone who does not want to be a JW.

Am I missing something?

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

howdy and welcome,

I don't think you are missing anything, just hit upon one of the double-standards and glaring hypocritical fallacies in the Org. If you do have a discussion with your mom over her not associating with you, make sure to point it out to her. Maybe it will get her thinking.

best wishes,

Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

It's crazy isn't it...

If and when I get married... My mum told me that she is sad that she won't ever be able to go to my wedding. (I plan to have it where ever I please, church, garden, backyard). I told her that is nuts. She says that she can't go because I wouldn't have a JW wedding and I've turned my back on Jehovah. I told her that in that case she probably shouldn't go to anymore funerals in churches or other non JW weddings. The whole thing is hypocritical.

That's funny you weren't allowed to watch scooby doo. We weren't allowed to watch Road Runner.Too violent! LOL

Your not missing anything... but they are by their own actions.

• Es
    Es

The difference is we are baptized!!!!! Thats what it boils down too. Im getting married for 2nd time in Nov to a non JW my folks arent coming because even tho im a fader im still baptized.And it wouldnt be right for them to be there and seen to support it.

It suxs i know but hey they are the ones missing out.

es

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Wow!

Maybe after I get divorced from my current wife :-) I will have to visit Australia. Didn't know so many hotties down under were not married (Misspeaches, Es, et al.).

-Eduardo

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

Well, in that case, it seems that everyone can modify the rules to suit them. If I had refused to talk to the elders, and therefore never got df'd, my mother just might come to my wedding and reception if I were to get married. Just kidding. I'm so far removed and emotionally disconnected from my mother that it really doesn't matter to me anymore.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

You know, I hadn't even thought of this - When it came to my sister (who was admittedly dishonest with my folks at times when she was dating), our parents attended her wedding, but didn't participate (didn't pay for anything or host a shower or walk her down the aisle or give her away). If I get married, it won't be to a JW, so they wouldn't attend that at all.

But, my JW Dad performed the first two marriages of my non-JW cousin!

Figure that one out!

• spamos
    spamos

hi, people, im new on here, i thought i'd had it ruff coming out of the world into the truth, but you guys really have had it worse with all that family mish mash, none of my family are jws but me, well now not participating anyway anymore..

• Shania
    Shania

Welcome spamos, you are in the right place to be a free thinker!

• spamos
    spamos

it'l be strange being able to think on my own, without being controlled, still trying to adjust, me and my family....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit