If anyone's curious...

by troucul 18 Replies latest jw friends

• troucul
    troucul

Just to let you know, the recent storms in the Gulf Coast of the southern US are well known in Iraq. In fact, mosque messages in town are saying that the storms are punishment from God for the occupation of Iraq.

Sometimes I think they're right.

• jstalin
    jstalin

Ah, yes. And the tsunami was god's "punishment" for... ?

And that brings up another thought. God, supposidly almighty, punishes people through guilt by association? God honors national boundaries and citizenship? Does god think I'm guilty because I'm an American, though I've done nothing myself to occupy Iraq? Sounds like god might be a collectivist, then. He believes in collective, not individual guilt?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

What about all the hurricanes that have occurred with regularity on the coastal regions of the U.S. for centuries waaaaaay before Iraq was occupied? Perhaps it's just the news media's ability to spread the news on a larger scale that is God's punishment, since we hear about disasters that occur over there, too, eh?

Frannie

• Celia
    Celia

Hi Andrew, good to hear from you again. Troucul is just reporting what he sees and hears in Iraq. Obviously, punishment from God because the US army is in Iraq is BS. But we know that fundamentalists will believe such claims.... unfortunately.

These fundies who say that it's punishment for the occupation of Iraq..... what do they think would happen if the US pulled out today ?

Christian Fundies here in the US use the "punishment from God" for all kind of tragedies, I know Simon. AIDS is one example. (Edited, because I was not quite awake the first time around...) Andrew, when can you leave Iraq this time around ?

• Simon
    Simon

There are plenty of fundies on both sides. I'm sure some in America are saying or thinking similar things: "Hey, if people die a horrible death they must have deserved it eh? Otherwise God is a monster or doesn't exist"

They will believe anything other than the truth.

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

Come home soon, I got something for you.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Yes, there are plenty of fundy preachers in the US who see God's hand in Katrina's devastation. There was one who was quoted in my city's main newspaper who claimed that at one point the image of a fetus became clearly discernable in the cloud mass, indicating that this hurricane was punishment for abortion.

I haven't heard any similar claims about Rita, such as the image of a monkey morphing into a man appearing in the clouds, therefore indicating that God was really letting the US have it because of public schools teaching evilution. lol

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Have you seen the sht-hole that is the Middle East? Maybe gawd is punishing them.

• Bryan
    Bryan

It's amazing how this thinkings still exists.

Centuries and millinia in the past, people thought this way, because the events were so much greater than themselves and they had no science to understand.

I even had a well educated friend in Houston tell me she thought it was God cleaning up the debauchery of New Orleans. My reply was, "It's too bad god had to kill people in Mississippi just to clean up a small city in Louisiana." I know she was influenced by her friend who claims to be some sort of Spiritual Guru.

Think people... think!

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• oldflame
    oldflame

I don't think that these hurricanes are punishments, but then do you remember Soddom & Gammorah ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit