Watchtower Gives Up Explaining 607 BCE Date!

by VM44 239 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Nope, no coma but scholar has followed this controversy for many years for it was Carl Jonsson who first attempted a major rebuttal of our chronology but failed to provide any convincing alternative or any coherent interpretation.

It is not surprising that prior to Jonsson, no-one else had bothered to make a major exposé of the Society's flawed central doctrine as, even still, most of the world's population are completely unaware of the minor religion's beliefs. It is an error in logic to suggest that an exact alternative date must be offered for the Society's interpretations to be proved false, despite the fact that there is indeed much known information that proves the Society to be wrong.

The simple fact that a start and end date is achieved is indeed significant othberwise any such scheme would be of little value for Christians today. The dates therby deduced such as 607 and 1914 are confirmed by the present state of the world today and the fact the Kingdom is ruling.

There are no facts in your statements here. There is no evidence in support of 607. Nothing happened at the supposed October 1914 fulfilment. There is no tangible evidence that "the Kingdom is ruling". Dooms-dayers have been saying for centuries that the 'current' world conditions are the worst they've ever been to 'prove' their own end-time ends of scaring people into submission.

Your flights of fancy and false chronologies are empty and are of no value to you and other ridiculers. We have something that works, you have something that fails.

I have something that agrees with facts. You have something that says the facts must be wrong because the facts don't suit your interpretations. But it seems from your rediculous tenacity that even on your deathbed you will be confident that the Society's empty promises will come true, even though it wasn't in your lifetime. For that I pity you.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

You raise the matter of logic by inferring that the Society's chronology is illogical and that its derived dates are false. Yet, you offer no alternative, your proposed numerous chronologies offer no dates so your schemes are in fact useless. If we are wrong and you are right then what does your truth consist of? It is far wiser when providing a criticism to have a solution but you have no solution and you call this logic?

You say there is no evidence for 607 but you know this is untrue because 607 is a derived calculation from fixed forms of evidence both biblical and secular. The 607 date leading to 1914 is fully proved by the state of the world since then as predicted by our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Yes you have facts and so do we have facts. It is not the facts that is the problem because there is an abundance of facts, it is the methodology that is how the facts are used and the interpretation that is how such facts are to be understood. As I have reminded you repeatedly: CHRONOLOGY IS ABOUT METHODOLOGY AND INTERPRETATION..

scholar JW

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Scholar:

You raise the matter of logic by inferring that the Society's chronology is illogical and that its derived dates are false. Yet, you offer no alternative, your proposed numerous chronologies offer no dates so your schemes are in fact useless. If we are wrong and you are right then what does your truth consist of?

Dumbest thing I ever heard. Real scientists, real historians, are always cautious when they do their work, when they present their conclusions. This is because the fundamental idea of all science is that every theory is a hypothesis, and it is only true until proven wrong. Everyone with even a minimum of academic training knows this, and I am shocked that you don`t! Let me give you an analogy: The exact number of jews killed in Europe during world war II, is unknown. The most probable number, according to most historians, is 5,8 million people. However, the exact number can not be known, for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, as in the last weeks of mass-murder in the camps in the occupied territories, the nazis would not register the names of the arriving jews, they would simply send them straight into the gas chambers. And of course, the nazis destroyed much of their documents before they abandoned the camps. Hence, the exact number cannot be calculated! However, it is unfair and scientifically and historically a travesty when "revisionist historians" (usually neo-nazis and their sympathisers), like David Irving, use the fact of these "missing pieces" to present a ridicolously low number!

The same is true for the 587 vs 607-debate. The fact that there is some diverging opinions, some claim that 586 is correct, some 587 (etc), is neither an embarassment nor a sign of poorly done scientific work. On the contrary, it is typical for the work of real historians and real scientists. If you had any academic training at all, you would know this. Your problem is that you need a chronology to establish a religious doctrine. And this pre-established doctrine already decides which data you are willing to use. Unfortunately, you have no data to support your claim, so you rely solely on an unbiblical and faulty interpretation of the Bible.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    You raise the matter of logic by inferring that the Society's chronology is illogical and that its derived dates are false. Yet, you offer no alternative, your proposed numerous chronologies offer no dates so your schemes are in fact useless. If we are wrong and you are right then what does your truth consist of? It is far wiser when providing a criticism to have a solution but you have no solution and you call this logic?

Of course your argumentation here is flawed. Firstly, the Society's model in fact has no use except to delude people about its end-time prophecies and to scare them into submission. Further, an exact alternative date need not be offered in order for the Society to be proved false, and because there is no secret end-time agenda of honest people to 'force' a particular date, it is indeed less important that an exact date is given.

Your reasoning here reminds me of a long-time mathematical problem. Your 607 theory is kind of like saying that because c 2 = a 2 + b 2 therefore c 3 = a 3 + b 3 . It has never been proved exactly why the latter doesn't work but the former does, but that doesn't make the assertion any more correct. (You should not infer that I am saying no-one knows why 607 doesn't work, just that the logic employed is similar in that a full alternative explanation to the contrary is not required for 607 to be proved wrong.)

You say there is no evidence for 607 but you know this is untrue because 607 is a derived calculation from fixed forms of evidence both biblical and secular. The 607 date leading to 1914 is fully proved by the state of the world since then as predicted by our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

No, I don't "know this is untrue". What I know is that nothing spectacular happened in October of 1914. I know that every point of defense the Society has for 607 falls over under honest examination. I know that there is no secular evidence to support it. Yes, there was a war in 1914 (that started too early in the year for the silly prophecy), but this wasn't the result of a sudden action that happened at that time, it was a result of political issues that had been fomenting over a long period.

Yes you have facts and so do we have facts. It is not the facts that is the problem because there is an abundance of facts, it is the methodology that is how the facts are used and the interpretation that is how such facts are to be understood. As I have reminded you repeatedly: CHRONOLOGY IS ABOUT METHODOLOGY AND INTERPRETATION..

The Society's methodology includes distortion of facts, and ignoring some of the facts completely.

Of course, your use of the word "methodology" is erroneous and you usually should be saying "method". It is simply pretentious writing to use the word "methodology" when describing particular methods employed. The subject of Chronology overall has a "methodology", or a 'set of principles', but you refer to "methods", or 'principles within that set'. You also may wish to review the spelling of 'cuneiform'.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

An argument is not flawed because of a different opinion or hearsay. The facts are that 607 is based upon solid evidence namely a universalyy accepted date, a date for the return of exiles which is generally accepted and finally a length of the exile which is based upon interpretaion of scripture which leads back to a logical beginning. This is simply doing chronology which is establishing a few fact basic facts, examining the data and working backwards and forwards. So, you smart fellow where is there no logic in the calculation of 607?

It is simply foolish to counter an argument with no valid replacement and that is what you are doing because you say 607 is wrong but you cannot give me a right date in its place. This is not logic but stupidity and foolishness.

The acceptance of the events after 1914 and their significance is based upon faith and Jesus warned of those who took no note and ridiculed those who preached the divine mesage so your rejection of matters is of little concern to me.

We have not distorted any facts at all, you present one single fact that we have distorted it is you that rewrites history and ignores what the Bible actually says. I choose the term 'methodology' because that is what scholars use and if it sounds pretentious so be it. Yes my spelling is not perfect but I post directly on this board without the use of a spell checker because I do not kn ow how to use one for this post unless I send my posts to a Word document and proof-read it but i cannot do this. I am not as computer literate as you are and I try my best. One day and I hope soon I will be able the computer abilities of you all.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Hellrider

I agree with the central thrust of your argument relating to the nature of acquiring knowledge but what you fail to realize is that the 586/587vs607 debate is not only about conflicting methodologies but con flicting opinions. We are tols that 607 is wrong because of overpowering secular evidence which according to the Jonsson hypothesis consists of anything up to 18 lines of damming evidence. If this is really the case then how is it that such evidence cannot settle basic issues, basic dates etc.

With all the hoopla you cannot agree as to what date Jerusalem fell, when the seventy years began and its nature and the end of the Assyrian Empire for starters. So your existent chronollogy is a unholy mess and yet you people have the audacity to say that our chronology is wrong. First, fix your house up and then you can pick on some one elses house. Yes there is a strong connection between our chronology and theology but the beautiful thing is is that it works, it is functional whereas your chronology is as dead as the dodo.

scholar JW

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Scholar:

We are tols that 607 is wrong because of overpowering secular evidence

Yes.

which according to the Jonsson hypothesis consists of anything up to 18 lines of damming evidence. If this is really the case then how is it that such evidence cannot settle basic issues, basic dates etc.

Your response to my argument shows that you didn`t understand it at all.

If this is really the case then how is it that such evidence cannot settle basic issues, basic dates etc.

Because the amount of evidence is so huge. Back to the analogy again: Just as in the case with the Holocaust of the jews during the war, the evidence is huge! - that doesn`t make it any easier to establish an exact number of casualties. However, this is no argument that "less than a million died, and they all died of typhus and starvation", as the "revisionist historians" claim. In the case of Babylonian history, the enormous amount of evidence makes it easy to determine the approximate time of the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple, but there are so many factors here, that it should be easy to understand why establishing an exact date, is difficult. The Babylonians were literally obsessed with documenting everything, business transactions, etc, but of course, the people that wrote all these things down, were only human, and made errors. So of course you`re going to find an "odd" tablet or two, in with all the other, reliable evidence. This doesn`t change the fact, however, that a 100% of the evidence excludes 607 as the date of the destruction of the Temple!

With all the hoopla you cannot agree as to what date Jerusalem fell, when the seventy years began and its nature

What hoopla? Your "celebrated WT-scholars" are the ones causing the hoopla. The rest of the world agrees that the most probable date of the destruction of the Temple is around 587/586. To the rest of the world there is no need to determine an exact date, only the "celebrated WT-scholars" have a need for establishing an exact date for this, because you have a faulty and corrupt understanding of the Bible, and of "7 times/ 2520 days", in which you wrongly apply the day-for-a-year-rule, which has absolutely nothing to do with Daniel or Jeremiah, but is ripped completely out of context, from the Torah and from Ezekiel. Also, there is no biblical evidence to support your "celebrated WT-scholars" doctrine that the 70 years refer to the period of time between the destruction of the Temple and the return of the exile. I have asked you before: WHERE in the Bible does it say clearly that the 70 years refer to the period between the destruction of the Temple and the return of the exiles? WHERE? I`ll tell you where: NOWHERE! Daniel and Jeremiah speaks of "70 years of desolation, exile and servitude". Nothing about the destruction of the Temple. Nothing about buildings at all. And "desolation" is clearly not mean literally (as in 100% desolated, completely emptied of people for 70 years), because Jeremiah 52 clearly says that people were taken away also in Nebuchadnezzars 23rd year.

So your existent chronollogy is a unholy mess and yet you people have the audacity to say that our chronology is wrong. First, fix your house up and then you can pick on some one elses house

Dumbest thing I ever heard. "The audacity to say that our chronology is wrong"? You have no chronology. The only thing you have is a corrupt understanding of the 70 years. "Fix your house and then you can pick on someone elses house"? How about it, you show us your celebrated WT-chronology, then, as we have asked you before. Where`s the chronology? Where did the 20 years go? Who ruled for 20 years longer than all the evidence shows? Which one of the 5 kings ruled for 20 years longer? Evilmerodach? Neriglissar? Nope. You can drag up Josephus, but Josephus is way off the map on this one, he mentions 40 years for Neriglissar, so obviously he got his facts wrong.

Yes there is a strong connection between our chronology and theology
    You have no chronology, all you have is a corrupt theology. If you have a chronology, show it to us. I find it almost revolting that you have the audacity to attack the secular chronology, when you don`t even have an alternative. Not only do you not have an alternative that could be defended by the evidence (of course you couldn`t have, all the evidence excludes 607 as the date), you don`t even have an alternative at all, no matter how far fetched. What you have is a corrupt theology, and a mysteriously missing 20 years. Congratulations.
  • steve2
    steve2
    I am not as computer literate as you are and I try my best. One day and I hope soon I will be able the computer abilities of you all.

If I may deflect from this ongoing argument: It takes courage to admit things that we don't feel as good as others, especially on a forum and when expressing views that are not popularly accepted on the forum. So, scholar, I take this opportunity to acknowledge your expressed humaness.

• aniron
    aniron

Scholar is someone who is hanging over the edge of a cliff face by his fingertips. But the edge is slowly crumbling away. He keeps moving his hands to what he think is a firmer place, but gradually too that starts to crumble. Yet people are holding their hands out to him calling to him to take their hands and come up to solid ground. But no, his pride and arrogance will not let him do so, he believes his way is the best and doesn't want to be proved wrong. Even at the cost of his life.
    There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Prov 14:12

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    An argument is not flawed because of a different opinion or hearsay.

No, your arguments are flawed on their own 'merits'.

The facts are that 607 is based upon solid evidence namely a universalyy accepted date, a date for the return of exiles which is generally accepted and finally a length of the exile which is based upon interpretaion of scripture which leads back to a logical beginning.

The universally accepted date you refer to is of course the fall of Babylon, which date is determined on the basis of astronomical diaries, which the Society says are not a reliable means of absolute dating. Additionally, you of course know that 607 is indeed not based on an actual known date, because the date and even the year for the what the Society regards as the end point of the 70 years, the return of the exiles, is disputed by scholars. You allege that 587/6 is not acceptable because not all scholars agree on an exact date, and then you defend the same loose dating for the Society's selection of a date for the return of the exiles, which of course was not the event that marked the end of the 70 years anyway, as clearly indicated by Jeremiah, and backed up by Isaiah and Daniel. The mere coincidence that an event involving Babylon and Assyria is known to have happened in 609, providing 70 years of Babylonian supremacy that ended in the confirmed year of 539 even on its own strongly indicates the correct placement of the period, which is fully confirmed by all of the evidence.

This is simply doing chronology which is establishing a few fact basic facts, examining the data and working backwards and forwards. So, you smart fellow where is there no logic in the calculation of 607?

The Society's reason for 'definitely' placing the exiles returning around October 1, 537 is based on detailed references to experts on the subject, but on its own reckoning:

The 70th year of Jerusalem’s desolation, the last enforced sabbath on the land, would end in the autumn of 537 B.C.E. Cyrus’ decree must have been issued late in 538 B.C.E. or early in 537 for two reasons. The desolation had to last until the 70th year ended, and the released Israelites would not be expected to travel in the winter rainy season, as would have been the case if the decree had been made a few months earlier.

So the Society is saying that the 70 years had to end in 537 to produce the starting point of 607 in order to arrive at the date of 537 used as the basis for selecting 607 for the starting point.... circular reasoning at its finest!! Maybe if the Society lasts a few hundred years, they will also try to suggest that World War I also started in October of 1914 just to make things look a little more impressive.

It is simply foolish to counter an argument with no valid replacement and that is what you are doing because you say 607 is wrong but you cannot give me a right date in its place. This is not logic but stupidity and foolishness.

Your logic here is of course flawed. For a start, the end date and therefore the starting date of the Society's 70 years are not definitely established anyway. All of the facts place Jerusalem's destruction around 587. Logic does not dictate that an exact alternative necessarily be provided in order to establish that an assertion is not correct. For example, if I were to say that 1/0 (1 divided by 0) equalled 0, this is automatically invalidated, although there is no definite answer for this calculation. The facts that are available present sufficient information to indicate that 607 is not the correct year, regardless of whether they provide enough information to present an exact alternative date.

You don't have valid evidence to place the return of the exiles with certainty.

If that is the case, then by what evidence do you determine their return? (Apart from circular reasoning.)

The acceptance of the events after 1914 and their significance is based upon faith and Jesus warned of those who took no note and ridiculed those who preached the divine mesage so your rejection of matters is of little concern to me.

Yes it is based on faith: faith in the Watchtower Society's incorrect interpretations drawn from 19th century Adventist numerologists. It certainly isn't based on facts. Jesus also said that the "appointed times of the nations" would start at or after Jerusalem's destruction in 70AD.

We have not distorted any facts at all, you present one single fact that we have distorted it is you that rewrites history and ignores what the Bible actually says.

I don't time at the moment to compile a list of the various distortions and omissions that the Society makes in order to distort the picture of Babylon's power, the sieges on Jerusalem, Jerusalem's destruction, the exile, the fall of Babylon, the return of the exiles, and the rebuilding of the temple. And you would ignore it anyway.

I choose the term 'methodology' because that is what scholars use and if it sounds pretentious so be it.

Genuine scholars use the term 'methodology' only to refer to the set of principles involved in a particular field. There are two other categories of people who use this word; those who want to appear knowledgable by using a big word (not knowing it's the wrong word), and those who simply don't know its proper use. To continue to use it, whether for appearance or by sheer obstinence, after having been instructed in its correct use, is simply hubris.

Yes my spelling is not perfect but I post directly on this board without the use of a spell checker because I do not kn ow how to use one for this post unless I send my posts to a Word document and proof-read it but i cannot do this.

I also do not spell-check my posts and type them directly into the editor, though for the last couple of months, I've used the HTML editor instead of plain text. Of course I have an advantage due to my work in the IT field, and it is unfair to expect that everyone can accurately touch-type. Indeed, I can overlook your typographical errors, because your intended meaning is (usually) evident, flawed logic and all.

I am not as computer literate as you are and I try my best. One day and I hope soon I will be able the computer abilities of you all.

Of course this is not an IT forum, so it is a bit harsh to pick on typos, which I only do either in response to someone else mentioning such, or if someone nitpicks unnecessarily at me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit