Though many sages have tried to describe
God and his purpose, the best they could do was to declare neti, neti (not this, not this). To the question
of God, even Buddha responded with silence! Jesus declared: “Truth will set you
free” but did not say what that truth is! (John 8:31) Context of this verse
shows that he was evasive even to the question ‘who are you?” (John 8:25) He did
not use his super-human skill to prove the existence of God in a way that would
satisfy everyone—including atheists and agnostics. If God were to use any book,
he would have used a small book with minimum verses of absolute simplicity and
clarity ruling out all the possibility for scholars to interpret it for others!
With scriptures giving often conflicting views, people are left to make their conclusion about God taking into consideration certain mysteries/contradictions such as:
1) He gifts life that is dying every moment.
2) He has left his creation on its own, yet each is required to reap what he sows.
3) He has endowed man with qualities that can either be increased to resemble Him or be decreased to resemble lower beings.
4) He may not act/respond as His creation expects. For example, Judas Iscariot (who reflected the haste of Jews of his time to see the Roman yoke to be lifted) perhaps thought Jesus would use his superhuman powers if he is pushed into being arrested by the Romans. Jesus too expected God would save him at the last moment (He cried: “Father, why have you forsaken me?”)
5) The general divisions of nature (ether, air, fire, water, earth) are made mutually inimical but generously sustain life.
6) He allows even those who deny His existence to live and enjoy life.
Behind this facade, there must be a grand purpose—something which religious leaders could not understand. This means He wants us to discern His purpose for us ourselves. Throughout history, there have always been a few who chose to lead a saintly life (proving, everyone could do the same if they choose to do so which explains why God does not have to intervene in the affairs of mankind) !His intervention becomes a must only if humans mismanage things to the extent of total destruction!