Change in WTS doctrine under way!

by biblexaminer 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

A "significant re-adjustment" in Watchtower dicta is in the works. Is it important? How so? If you do want to know, then take the time to read the following information, for doctrine is the motivation behind everything that is "Watchtower", and recent happenings within Watchtower-world shed light on the future course of the great ship Watchtower.

[HR]
    Prologue

Although the effect of the recent scandal relating to children being molested, and the things that are bound to happen in the near future with respect to this, will have an impact on the course of Watchtower-future, it is certain that Watchtower-past and Watchtower-present have been most affected by doctrine. Those who have left, and those who are leaving right now, are in the majority those who have had a "crisis of conscience" with respect to doctrine. After all, that's what got us into this mess in the first place. We cared about "right doctrine", and as time went by, we found out that the Watchtower had many false doctrines not unlike the religions we left when we joined.

The writer of this paper came to the point where he is, as a result of no other thing but this, -that doctrine continued to prove false, and the forcing of this doctrine by the Watchtower became like a pair of cold hands squeezing on the throat of free thought and expression.

The neophyte does not feel this squeezing. As a novice I myself was too busy in the prescribed regimen of activities to hardly notice the inconsistencies in doctrine, nor did I see the effect on lives. I saw little problem with doctrine, and I certainly saw no problem with the concept that the Watchtower had the right to set any doctrine it chose to set. It's unfortunate, but most Jehovah's Witnesses struggle to remain in this "newbie" mental state, a 'spiritual babe', a true 'newbie' to Biblical understanding, so as to keep their figurative head in the clouds. Ignorance is bliss.

This discussion is about understanding the future direction of the "Organization" of the Watchtower, via it's ever changing doctrines. As a long time, and current member, I understand all too well how one can plan one's life around doctrines which inevitably receive "significant re-adjustment". (note: they are never 'wrong')

As both a Bible student, and a person engaged in an ongoing study of this organization in the most intensive way, that of immersion in the culture, I would like to carry this understanding to the outside world.

I do not write this for the novice JW or those newly considering joining the Watchtower movement, to which I belong, for to understand the doctrine -and its effect- takes years of experience, -years of painful experience. I write for the benefit of those who have had the unfortunate experience of losing many years of their life to the Watchtower and who are curious as to what is happening to it now.

I also write this for the benefit of those who study this organization on the outside, and who could make use of an insiders knowledge and experience in understanding the doctrines of the Watchtower and the effect on the direction of the movement.

[HR]
    The Discussion

Recently, a Circuit Overseer has been giving a talk that involves certain verses in Matthew chapter 24. What he is preaching, one can be absolutely sure, is sanctioned by the Watchtower proper. Why it's important takes a few more paragraphs to explain because one must first have in mind the Watchtower's position up till this point. And to understand why this particular change is so significant also takes a few paragraphs. Yet this read should be rewarding.

The material I choose so to make the point is the Watchtower article of May 1, 1999 pages 14-20, where we find a few important points which find even more significance when taken in context with the recent sermons given by certain CO's.

The Watchtower is full of allegories. If the reader was ever associated with the Org, then the significance of Matthew 24:45 and the allegories invented by the Watchtower relative to this verse are plain. It is the single most important verse in the whole Bible for JW's. The entire authority structure of the Governing Body rests here. It is the "sacred cow" of the Watchtower. Therefore, any changes in doctrine relative to Matthew chapter 24 will have lasting effects on the Watchtower organization.

At Matthew 24:15-16 we read in the NWT

*** Rbi8 Matthew 24:15-16 ***
    15 “Therefore, when YOU catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, as spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in a holy place, (let the reader use discernment,) 16 then let those in Ju·de'a begin fleeing to the mountains.

The Watchtower allegory that relates to these verses states that "…the first fulfillment involved the Roman assault on Jerusalem and its temple" (Note: all quotes are from the w99 5/1 14-20) This article goes on to say that "It is apparent that Jesus was referring to the Roman army that would come…"

Therefore, the Roman army was represented by the "disgusting thing that causes desolation" in this supposed "first" fulfillment and it's "standing in a holy place" was a prophecy concerning the time when the Roman army would undermine the wall in 66CE and Roman soldiers, Gentiles, would enter the Temple grounds.

Christians then would recognize this "sign" and when the Roman army retreated, they would take the opportunity to "begin fleeing to the mountains".

This is all well and good, and for a fact is a matter of history now. But the Watchtower does not leave it there. They insist, and have for many years, that this was only the "first" fulfillment, and the article goes on to say …

"Since World War I, we have seen the larger fulfillment of Jesus’ sign recorded in Matthew chapter 24. Yet, recall his words: “When you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation . . . standing in a holy place, . . . then let those in Judea begin fleeing to the mountains.” (Matthew 24:15, 16) This aspect of the prophecy must have a fulfillment in our time too."

They warn us that "OUR being alerted to an approaching calamity can enable us to avoid it."
    Ohhh, we had better tune in!

The article further points out the characters in the Watchtower allegory when it says

"So in 1919 “the disgusting thing” appeared. In time, the League gave way to the United Nations. Jehovah’s Witnesses have long exposed these human peace organizations as disgusting in God’s sight."

So, where in the "first" fulfillment, the "disgusting thing" was the Roman army, in this supposed "greater" or second fulfillment, the "disgusting thing" becomes the United Nations Organization.

But who then, in this "second" fulfillment, is represented by "Judea", the Jewish nation that was conquered with it's "holy place"? The article then relates …

"On Thursday, July 10, 1969, at the “Peace on Earth” International Assembly in New York City, F. W. Franz, then vice president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, gave …a significantly adjusted explanation…" of the outworkings of these events. …"The ‘great tribulation’ such as will not occur again is yet ahead, for it means the destruction of the world empire of false religion (including Christendom) followed by the ‘war of the great day of God the Almighty’ at Armageddon"

So then, the Watchtower allegory teaches that soon, very, very soon, the "disgusting thing" in the person of the United Nations Organization will stand in the modern-day "holy place" in the person of all religions of the earth, bar the Watchtower headquarters obviously, at which time it will be necessary for all good Jehovah's Witnesses to "begin fleeing to the mountains".

Interesting, then, isn't it, that …

"As first-century followers of Christ must have keenly watched to see how the “standing in a holy place” would develop, so do present-day [Jehovah's Witnesses]."

Now does it make any sense at all, that Jehovah's Witnesses need to watch for an event where the UN goes to church, …so that they know when to flee? FLEE WHAT? They are not in church are they?

16 Since the start of the great tribulation is yet future, is the “standing in a holy place” still ahead of us? Evidently so. While “the disgusting thing” made its appearance early in this century and has, thus, existed for decades, it will take a position in a unique way “in a holy place” in the near future.

Doesn't make much sense, not to us, and obviously not to them either, for they go on to say …" We cannot presently have full details about the great tribulation," and "Admittedly, we will have to wait for the actual fulfillment to know all the details."

Well, this is a convenient "out" for the Watchtower, with regard to this self contradictory allegory. Who can explain such nonsense? The article says …

"So “the disgusting thing that causes desolation,” which has existed since 1919, apparently is yet to stand in a holy place. How will this happen? And how can we be affected?" Yes Watchtower tell us, how can we be affected?

The watchtower explains …

"Details supplied in the prophecy help us to identify this symbolic beast as a peace organization …now the United Nations. Revelation 17:16, 17 shows that God will yet put it into the hearts of certain human rulers who are prominent in this “beast” to desolate the world empire of false religion. That attack marks the outbreak of the great tribulation."

That's all they have to offer in the way of explanation. I wonder how many letters the Watchtower received asking their "channel" how in the hell the UN's standing in say, the vatican, will be reason for JWs to flee. And flee from what? Supposedly JWs have already "fled" from the supposed modern-day counterpart of Judea/Jewry. As the article says

"We have for many decades been urging people to get out of false religion and to take up true worship."…and "continue to maintain a clear distinction between themselves and false religious organizations."

What the hell does it matter to JWs that the UN is going to enter the Churches etc and axe them? If we aren't there, then we're just bystanders. As the aarticle says "After all, obedient Christians will not be punished when destruction comes on false religion and the rest of this wicked system."
    Why worry then? Why do JWs need to "be discerning and heed the warning about ‘the disgusting thing standing in a holy place.’ And they will act decisively on their unshakable faith."? WHY?

And how many asked our dear GB deskboyz, "If the Church is the "Holy Place" where the UN will stand, why have we all prematurely fled?" Did not Jesus say that "when you see…THEN.." AND, if it's a "holy place" why did the Watchtower make us all flee it before our Lord directed?

So, it's no wonder that the Watchtower is going to change this self-contradictory nonsense by way of sermons given by COs instead of announcing it outright by way of their "channel" journal the Watchtower magazine. After the COs have made their rounds and given "new light" to congregations on a one-at -a-time basis, then the Watchtower can safely discuss Matthew chapter 24 with their new doctrine, and nobody will notice….So they thought!

The CO is giving a talk that in summary says that the allegory of so many years is now GONE. He is teaching that there is no "second" and "greater" fulfillment of Matthew 24:15-16 but that it was fulfilled in complete in the first century, and only upon Jewry.

Well. Like thinking minds didn't know that! The problem is, this doctrine was fundamental to their "sacred cow" dicta of Matthew 24:45 and the further allegorizing of the Watchtower. The Watchtower is slowly dismantling their power base by altering long held doctrine which is fundamentally important to their power base.

Time will tell, but this cannot last.

Bonus Laugh

On a further note, I wish to point out one unrelated thing in this confusing and self-contradictory article. In an effort to increase anxiety in the rank and file so as to raise the specter of an 'imminent' action against "false religion", thus increasing the level of expectation among JWs (which is needed to accelerate magazine sales etc) the Watchtower went on to add…

"Yet, it is noteworthy that in some lands there is already a detectable and growing antipathy toward religion." Now, this statement on it's own might have accomplished their goal, but they didn't leave it there. They went on to cry that "…Some political elements, in league with former Christians who have deviated from the true faith, are promoting hostility against religion in general and true Christians in particular."

So, in an effort to make JWs think that the UN is soon going to act against the Churches, they point, not to anything related to any particular government's sentiment toward Catholicism for instance, but rather to those who hate THEM, the Watchtower! As if the increased hate of the fools in Brooklyn means that soon the UN will gobble up the Church. Sure, the hate of Watchtower will grow and grow until action bursts forth against… the Church?

Nonsense! And of course all this Watchtower hate will vanish the instant the UN gets the idea to destroy all religion EXCEPT the Watchtower.

In other words, the hate of Watchtower will grow, and grow, and grow until all of a sudden they love us, and leave us completely alone as they make a viscous attack against everybody else!

As the article says "Consequently, political powers even now …they will further vent their opposition against God’s true worshipers, his “holy ones” in particular" but all this will suddenly end when they get a divine revelation that it's not the Watchtower they should hate, but it's everybody else, all religion on Earth, EXCEPT the Watchtower Society.

You decide what to call this.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, BX...this is what I thought too but you said it so well...they always say that prophecies aren't meant to be understood until they are over.

I enjoyed your piece on the 120 disciples and the timeline before and after that event.

I'm saving this one too.

• gsark
    gsark

It just amazes me that the WT didn't jump on the chance,when they had it...to call the 'disgusting thing standing in the place of desolation'...the Apostates!!! Run JW's run...

Perhaps we, while we have the chance, could say that the'disgusting thing standing in the place of desolation' is the GB! Run JW's run...

Go figure.

Life is a roller coaster. Get in, sit down, shut up and hang on!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Unfortunately, the majority of the Rank & File will be thrilled about this "New Light." I can just hear it now.

That little catch-phrase will save their asses one more time.

"By doubting we come at truth" -Cicero

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Thank you, Biblexaminer

Posts such as what you have provided are precisely why I've ventured into these kafkaesque jw discussion boards for the past few months. I was ensnared by the door to door work and was entirely alone among my friends and (few) members of my family in responding. I don't have a long history in the organization. I am an avid reader, an ardent student, and voracious for truth, if such a thing exists. But I was a good girl and never read anything outside of the sanctioned reading list.

The point is that I was very vulnerable and trusted overmuch what I was being "fed".

I left the organization because over the course of some years and some fairly egregious neglect/mishandling of certain things (psychological health needs), it was increasingly apparent that it was a dehumanizing sub-culture. "Mind-control" alerts were flashing in my mind faster than I could deconstruct them. So it was an intuitive leaning, rather than an encounter with blatant lies (i.e. reading Crisis of Conscience) that helped me to get out.

Still, I wrestle with doubts all of the time.... I really, really, really want for there to be an explanation for why evil exists, what the point is of this short lifespan, and I can't find it in my heart to NOT believe in God. I have tried! I don't know why, but I can't NOT believe that there is a creator - the creation is filled with things that reflect beauty and loving-kindness, and an incomprehensibly vast, fascinating intelligence (I just saw the Seahorses exhibit at the Baltimore Aquarium.....blew my mind..). But as the years go by for me (44 now, sigh!) he/she/it is more elusive than ever, at least in terms of being.... accessible, for lack of a better word. (But that is an entirely different discussion, isn't it?)

The desire for a nice package of truth about God is so strong that I fear deluding myself yet again, or even somehow getting sucked back into the 'organization' that once promised it ALL.

So, what you have written has helped me a great deal, and I thank you. I NEED to see things like what you've detailed, and really appreciate all of the "new light" (sorry bad joke moment) that is provided. There has got to be countless other people like me out there who want to read it too.

I have decided what to call it: Evil

Thank you again, very much

lauralisa

It's only water from a stranger's tear (Peter Gabriel)

• Prisca
    Prisca

I have to disagree with you on one point, Biblexaminer

The Society has never said that when the UN decides to destroy all religion, it will make an exception to the WTS. Rather, the UN (as per WTS theology) will include the WTS in its destruction.

However, the WTS teaches that when it appears that all is lost for the WTS, Jehovah is going to step in, and prevent the UN from destroying the WTS completely. The WTS uses the scripture that speaks of them "touching his eyeball" in relation to his reaction to them touching his "favoured people". At that point, the beginnings of Armageddon will start.

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight

Prisca,

Good point, I was about to write the very same thing but you beat me to it!

BE - Interesting post, I look forward to hearing this supposed talk being given by C/Os. It is indeed a major doctrinal change and negates much of what has been written in previous literature, such as the Revelation and Daniel books.

• MDS
    MDS

Excellent post, BibleExaminer.

Many thanks for this vital and revealing information.

MDS

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Interesting post BX. Thanks.

When is this talk expected to make the rounds?

I'm not so sure that stating the fulfillment of the prophecy of the "disgusting thing standing in the holy place" was completely fulfilled on the first century Jewish system will just blow over without notice.

This is change is coming too soon after somewhat recent WT study articles that contained "new light" on this prophecy. Such a quick disposal of that "new light" has to be a wake up call to those Witnesses that actually follow these things.

If the new change doesn't go into print like you seem to be suggesting, that is a very interesting and dishonest strategy on their part.

Path

• Francois
    Francois

Lauralisa: Have you ever run across "The Urantia Book"? I've been reading it for about twenty years. It's the most amazing thing I've ever read. And if it's what it seems to be, there's more truth in it than anywhere else I've ever looked.

It's online at
    .. http://www.urantia.org/ubis/
    That's not the homepage, but you can get there by deleting the /ubis/. I got to that particular spot because there's a search engine there. I'd really like your reaction, since I'm an intense seeker myself. However, I've been reading it so long I'd like a fresh perspective. There are two tables of contents. If you examine the second one and then read the first page or two of the foreword, I think you'll get the point.
    Many thanks,
    Frank

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit