Never ever shop at Comet

by Ellie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!
    Don't you take a close look at it before you take a £1300 item with you?

I would think that with large items like TVs most people don't open the box and check it out before they purchase the product and I don't think the store would want you opening and plugging the TV in on their selling floor before taking it home. Most stores understand that there can be something wrong when you take it home and open the box and would rather chance that than have everyone opening their boxes and unwrapping the TVs putting batteries in the channel changers so they can try them before purchasing. Stores know that this would be a nightmare for them. However if Comet doesn't handle her problem I think it would be a public service stand in the electronics deparment and inform customer that they need to do just that before they buy.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Germannnnnnnnnnnn. I don't know how big the TV is, but it would be even worse to open the box before taking it home. They are supposed to pack these things to prevent these things from happening. Thick cardboard, foam, styrofoam galore, All sealed into a nice secure package.

I think it happened at the factory. Some kid probably mishandled it, and his butt was already on the line. So she was the unlucky one who got it. HL

But my husband would probably want to do the same thing as you. MEN HL

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

When I recently had a problem with Sony that the people in the call center wouldn't fix, I found out the President of Sony Canada's home address, called his secretary and said, "What do I have to do to get his attention on this? Do I have to send a letter to his house for him to notice? Does he still live at XXXXX Queen's Quay West on the Toronto waterfront? He must have a great view of lake Ontario."

The problem was fixed within 10 minutes.

Kwin

BTW, the Registry of Joint Stocks is a wonderful resource for this type of thing.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    Registry of Joint Stock Companies - All Information
    alt

Profile Info People Info Activities Info Related Reg's Info View All Info
    PROFILE - SONY OF CANADA LTD. - as of 2005-09-20 10p.m.

Company/Society Name: SONY OF CANADA LTD.
    Registry ID: 1062047
    Type: Extra-Provincial Corporation
    Nature Of Business:
    Jurisdiction: Canada
    Registered Office: 115 GORDON BAKER ROAD
    TORONTO ONTARIO M2H 3R6
    Mailing Address: 115 GORDON BAKER ROAD
    TORONTO ON M2H 3R6

PEOPLE

NamePositionCivic AddressMailing Address
    HOWARD STRINGER Director 62 EAST 91ST STREET
    NEW YORK NEW YORK 10128
    G. ALLAN MACKENZIE Director 383 CHRISTIE ROAD
    ST. GERMAIN MB R0G 2A0
    HOWARD STRINGER CHAIRMAN & CEO
    HIROHITO SAKAI PRESIDENT & COO
    J.W.E. MINGO Recognized Agent BOX 997 1959 UPPER WATER ST 900
    HALIFAX NS B3J 2X2
    BOX 997 1959 UPPER WATER ST 900
    HALIFAX NS B3J 2X2
    DAVID M. HARLEY Director 8 MAPLE AVENUE
    TORONTO ON M4W 2T6
    LOWELL MURRAY Director R.R. 4
    PAKENHAM ON K0A 2X0
    HIROHITO SAKAI Director #1114 211 QUEENS QUAY WEST
    TORONTO ON M5J 2M6
    PATRICK G. WHITTINGHAM EXECUTIVE V-P 58 CHOICELAND BLVD.
    SCARBOROUGH ONTARIO M1C 4W9
    TSUGIE MIYASHITA EXECUTIVE V-P C/O 405 GORDON BAKER RD.
    WILLOWDALE ONTARIO M2H 2S6
    M. TARIQ SHAMEEM SENIOR V-P SERVICE & ENGINEERING 105 BECKENRIDGE DR.
    MARKHAM ONTARIO L3S 3B1
    ROBERT MACDONALD V-P CONSUMER SALES 222 WYNHURST DRIVE
    KESWICK ONTARIO L4P 2R6
    HUGH COPE SRVP, INFOR SYS & BUSINESS DESIGN 27 MARKHAVEN ROAD
    UNIONVILLE ONTARIO L3R 1T8
    DOUG WILSON V-P SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT 61 FERN VALLEY CRESCENT
    RICHMOND HILL ONTARIO L4E 2J3
    KAREN P. LOUIE SECRETARY 528 BRUNSWICK AVENUE
    TORONTO ONTARIO M5R 2Z5
    DAVID M. HARLEY ASSISTANT SECRETARY 8 MAPLE AVENUE
    TORONTO ONTARIO M4W 2T6
    HUMPHREY KADANER VP, RETAIL
    RAJ RAWANA VP, CONSUMER ELECTRONICS MARKETING NS
    TOM RAY VP, BROADCAST & PROFESSIONAL SALES NS

It's scary the amount of info on the net if you know where to find it.

Kwin

• Ellie
    Ellie

Thanks everyone for your advice, I have been told now that an engineer is coming round today just as a formality, he will take a look at the TV and order us a new one as a replacement, that will have to do.

Its a pain in the neck though, when you spend a lot of money on an appliance you atleast expect it to work, so take my advice now and go to Curry's instead.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Make sure that it is a brand new unopened one that you are getting - dont let them give you a reconditioned one. Really they keep them in stock in the shop they should just bring you one, your should not have to order it.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Check Curry's out first Ellie - someone else might know for certain but I think Curry's and Comet may be part of the same group!

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Curry's and Dixons are part of the same group but I'm fairly sure Comet are not.

Sad Emo. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time? I've got 7 STL Boxes withyour name on them!

(And I'm pretty sure there's no big telly in any of them)

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

As has been posted, in the UK the Sale of Goods Act means you have legal redress if they sell you something that is not fit for the purpose it is sold.

If the thing with the engineer doesn't work out, go to the store, and complain long and loud at the customer service counter; "I was sold a broken televison by Comet and I want a replacement or refund NOW, as is my right under the Sale of Goods Act". If they stall then make it clear if you go home without a refund or a replacement then tomorrow you contact the local court to get the papers required to make a claim in the Small Claims Court and get your money back, as well as contacting the local trading standards people and Watchdog.

Be polite, make it clear you have no beef with the staff you are talking to, but make enough of a disturbance for them to call in their managers. If you have a videocamera, consider taking it and taping things, that will stir things up nicely. Have the TV with you to make it possible to swap things then and there.

Do not on any acount take anything other than new stock, whether from Comet or the engineer. Your purchase was what they call D-O-A; dead on arrival, it never worked. Replacement or refund are what you are entitled to, not a replacement with reconditioned stock.

(I work in Customer Services, PM me if you have problems)

• oldflame
    oldflame

Germanxjw,

Have you ever bought a new television ? It does not sound like you have because if you did you would well know how a television is packed. It is packed tightly in a box with styrofoam around the television. So when we buy something like this, it is bought on a trust that when you buy something new we automatically trust that the item is new and in good working order.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit