Never ever shop at Comet

by Ellie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

I went to Comet yesterday and bought a new TV, it cost £1300 so ofcourse we handled it with utmost care all the way home.

When we got it home we took it out of the packaging to discover a huge crack all the way down the screen.

So I phoned up the customer service helpline and was put through to the store we bought it from, and spoke to the most unhelpfullest people on the planet, they denied all responsibility but eventually agreed to send an engineer round to fix it tomorrow.

Then today I got a phone call from their repair department saying that the engineer was booked in error and that I should contact Phillips, the makers of the TV.

So I phoned Phillips and they said I should contact the store for a refund or exchange.

So I just phoned the store back and spoke to one of the muppets from the office who again denied it was their fault and said she will speak to the repair department again and call me back.

Does anyone know what I can do about this or what I'm entitled to?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

How big is it? Is it too large to physically bring back to the store yourself?

If not, load it up and put it down in front of the service desk.

If they won't take it back, call a lawyer.

If that does not work, then make a big sign with large and thick letters that says: "Comet sold me a £1,300 Broken TV" and then stand outside holding it up. If they chase you off, go across the street and hold it up there.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Elsewhere, I have been tempted to do the same thing, about wrongs done to me, from establishments. But being in a small town, and my husband stop me.

BUT I WOULD IF I COULD, AND LIVED IN A LARGE TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HL

PS. Sometimes I get that "Don't F**K with me attutude", Then I just stew over it for a long time. I think, if I would just do something, I would feel better. Ellie, DAMN IT!!!! DO IT. I WILL LIVE THROUGH YOU!!!!!!!

I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Legolas
    Legolas

I don't know what type of store Comet is.....but here if you buy something you can always get your money back within so many days!

• Angharad
    Angharad

I'm not totally sure - but you entered into a contract with Comet, they have supplied faulty goods, they need to deal with it - not Phillips. If I were you I'd go back to the shop at a busy time and demand very publicaly to see the manager and explain to him in front of a busy shop what has happened including how unhelpful his staff are and demand a replacement. Read up on you rights and make it clear to them that you know your rights.Maybe mention the words trading standards, that may get a reaction. Have a look at the trading standards website to find out your rights.

You bought it yesterday, and have never used it - you should not have to have it repaired demand a new one.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/consumerlaw/index2.shtml

SALE OF GOODS

Together with the law applying to services, these are the only laws that every consumer should really know by heart.

While laws concerning sale of goods date back 100 years, the only phrase you need to memorise is 'The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended)'.

The 'as amended' is important because it refers to laws which have extended the basic 1979 Act and using the phrase tells the trader that not only do you know basic consumer law, you know it has been amended too.

The Sale of Goods Acts lay down several conditions that all goods sold by a trader must meet. The goods must be:

• of satisfactory quality
    • as described
    • fit for purpose

'Satisfactory quality' covers minor and cosmetic defects as well as substantial problems. It also means that products must last a reasonable time. But it does not give you any rights if a fault was obvious or pointed out to you at point of sale.

'As described' refers to any advertisement or verbal description made by the trader.

'Fit for purpose' covers not only the obvious purpose of an item but any purpose you queried and were given assurances about by the trader.

If something you buy from a trader does not meet these conditions, you are entitled to a full refund if you return the goods soon after purchase. Otherwise you are first and foremost entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced.

If these remedies are inappropriate, then you are entitled to a suitable price reduction, or to return the goods and get a refund (reduced to take account of any wear and tear).

The Act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately, your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods are not 'as described'.

If goods which are expected to last 6 months, do not do so it will be presumed that the goods did not conform to the contract at the time they were bought, unless the trader can prove to the contrary.

In all other situations, it is for the consumer to prove his/her own case (i.e. that the problem existed at the time of the contract). This will prove more difficult, the longer you have had the goods. Subject to this, a consumer has six years from the time he/she buys something in which to make a claim.

You only have a relatively short period to get a full refund. After this time, you will be deemed to have 'accepted' the item. If it then turns out to faulty, you will have to claim compensation - see Enforcing the Law

Ellie, you're entitled to reject the tv as unfit for purpose - go back to the store and say 'I am rejecting the tv as unfit for purpose/unsatisfactory under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 as amended' This should mean that you can ask for your money back if you wish as well!

Don't accept repair - that's your right, you're better off getting a replacement because you don't know what else may be broken.

If they still refuse to replace it, report them to your local trading standards office - the council should be able to help you with that (not sure whether officers are employed by the council)

• Simon
    Simon

DO NOT ACCEPT A REPAIR. You may end up with a reconditioned one ... you bought a new one.

Take it to the shop and tell them that your contract is only WITH THEM and NOT with the manufacturer. They need to sort it out with whoever.

Do not be afraid to make a stand in the shop. Sat morning is the best time to do it. Be forceful but polite and quote the sale of good act.

They WILL back down and you WILL get the brand new TV that you are entitled to.

• I quit!
    I quit!

If there is more than one store I would ask the store manager for the address and phone number of the corporation. Tell the store manager you will be talking to them about how he or she takes care of their good customers. Fear of reproof from corporate may stir him into action. Even if it doesn't usually once you contact the corporate office they will contact the store and tell them to take care of the problem. At least that has been my experience.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Don't you take a close look at it before you take a £1300 item with you?

• core
    core

Simon is right - the law recently changed and any relationship in this contract is between you and the retailer (comet) you simply ring and say you are rejecting the goods as unfit for the purpose - you will not accept a repair and require a full refund or a replacement of a NEW/UNOPENED item the same as purchased - the onus is on COmet to prove you caused any damage - which given that you transported the item home in the original packaging will be nigh on impossible for them - also tell Comet you expect all your transport costs/telephone costs reimbursed - your rights under the law. Make a diary note of all calls re this for future reference

You have no obligation to use any manufacturers "Guarantee" as the first point of redress is the retailer and you must stress to Comet you hold them responsible and will not be fobbed off with repairs/the manufacturers etc

If no response ring the local Trading Standards dept at your council who will put a rocket up Comet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit