Thanksgiving question

by I quit! 13 Replies latest jw friends

• xjwms
    xjwms

Around here its always called:

Turkey Day

Most JW's, would rather not say Thanksgiving. (in my area)

• rebel8
    rebel8

Plus let's not forget, it is evil to set aside a special day to give thanks.....we should be giving thanks every day.

I love Thursdays.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I think problematic is a good word for it. I remember some of the feeble explainations we would give for not celebrating it such as: "we give thanks every day" I guess we could have added: "just not this day because your doing it and we don't want to be like you".

As for working on the holidays I think the Watchtower wanted you off work so you could go in service? Didn't the Watchtower tout the holidays as good time to go out in service because most people would be home? I think the our clever fiends friends at the tower new they would sell a lot of magazines on those days if they could get convince their brainwashed followers to go out with them. People who might not normally be so nice would take them just to be polite. What they were saying was: I'll take them if you'll just go away and let us enjoy the day."

• I quit!
    I quit!
    Most JW's, would rather not say Thanksgiving. (in my area)

In my area I think they say Th*#$k%%^ng to avoid using foul language.

When I was a Witness I was told Thanksgiving Day is worshipping the spirit of nationalism. ; Hence, idolatry.

That make perfect sense. At least to you if you are member of a group that thinks celebrating someones birthday is worshiping them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit