Why aren't congregations much bigger in size?

by JH 36 Replies latest jw friends

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

I was told by our PO that the congregation wasn't larger because they want to keep the numbers smaller so it would be easier for them to keep an eye on the flock.

So I can see how you can turn that around and say that they want to keep numbers small to keep control.

• JH
    JH
    So I can see how you can turn that around and say that they want to keep numbers small to keep control.

But keeping the congregation small, means keeping it dense with elders and MS to run the congregation efficiently, thus putting pressure on every brother to make it to the top.

• Scully
    Scully

When I was auditing a Social Psychology course on the university channel several years ago, the professor made a very interesting statement about high control groups and the size of those groups. Apparently a group made up of 50 - 75 members was optimal for keeping the group in check. It makes it difficult for a dissenting splinter group to form, because there are less people to assume leadership roles. It is easier to gather information on individuals when you have half a dozen people in Elder type roles and another half a dozen in Ministerial Servant type roles, mostly all responsible for smaller group (book study and field service arrangement) situations.

What you'll often see among JWs is that when a couple of neighbouring congregations are all approaching the 100 publisher mark, there will be a reorganization of the congregation territory and the congregations will split, usually two congregations into three, or three into four

100 + 100 = 200 200 ÷ 3 = 66.6

100 + 100 + 100 = 300 300 ÷ 4 = 75

In this situation it also artificially creates a fairly fast turn-over rate, so that people do not develop close or very deep friendships, considering that there is a pretty constant state of flux. On a psychological level as well, the members come to believe that the growth rate is "phenomenal", because it seems like new congregations are springing up all the time, when in fact there is merely redistribution of the congregation territory.

Seeing it happening at the same time in the congregation that we were assigned to really caused one of those moments of clarity for me....

• JH
    JH

100 + 100 = 200 200 ÷ 3 = 66.6

Scully, I've also seen new congregations form here. We had 4 congregations and it went up to 6, but the congregations were tiny. Eventually it came back down to 4, with 2 congregations disolving completely because they were too small, and couldn't operate anymore. We all thought that we were expanding with these 2 additional congegations.

Boo hoo. A trick of the tail.

• JH
    JH

I guess that I was the 0.6 brother...

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I'm not a JW, I joined this site because my wife started studying with them. But since joining, I have seen other threads on this subject, either directly, or as a side point to the main issue. Most of the members of this site usually state that they think its a control issue, and I would tend to agree. At least twice that I can remember though, I saw it said that there was an official WTS reasoning for it, based on some scripture in the new testament. (Corinthians, maybe? I can't remember the exact passage, Leolaia or one of the other knowledgable bible researcher types on here could probably tell you.) Something about small gatherings, and the actual size of a group from biblical times, the Corinthians or Thessalonians or something. Edited to add: Forgot to mention, there was a specific number talked about in those posts; 120.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

also about territory coverage - a lot of small is better than a few big ones

• Soledad
    Soledad

In my area we started as 1 congregation for almost 20 years......then it was split into 2, not because of newcomers really but because of immigration.......it was a Spanish speaking congregation.....then it was split again because many of the new immigrants were from a neighboring city and the elder's body saw it appropriate to create a new congregation in the other city.....this split took place after I left....but the "growth" had more to do with immigrants and them having a lot of kids rather than new people coming in.....of course everyone thought that it was a "blessing" the fact that we were growing so much but upon a closer inspection.....now the congregation that was created in another city for the benefit of all the newcomers has not grown at all in 6 years. I'm pretty certain that in another 3-4 years the numbers will start to dwindle and these folks will be shipped back to the old arrangement.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

My former congregation has dwindled in numbers not because of people leaving, but everyone moving away to other parts of the city. I remember we used to have 80 to 90 people at the meeting and they're lucky if they have 60.

• boy@crossroads
    boy@crossroads

Easier to control !!!

Also, while witnesses love to claim that they an example to all in the community, they like to keep somewhat of a low profile. Kingdumb halls are therefore small and usually (in my experience) in areas removed from community populations i.e. outskirts of towns. Probably also land is cheaper !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit