Why aren't congregations much bigger in size?

by JH 36 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Like that, they wouldn't need so many elders and MS. They would have plenty of brothers to read and pass the mic.

No where in the bible do they mention how big or small a congregation should be.

If ever one day they have a hard time forming enough MS and elders, wouldn't it be simpler to just make congregations larger?

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

They dont make them bigger, cause they wouldnt be able to fill it up!!!!!! It would look empty to newcomers

• JH
    JH

I mean, they could join 2 congregations and make 1 out of it. They wouldn't need as many elders, and people could sleep in peace in the back of the hall.

• Bryan
    Bryan

If you have several congos use the same building they can split the expences, enabling the brothers to donate more to the Tower.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• zack
    zack

Don't you know size doesn't reall matter? :)

• JH
    JH

I guess that it's because they want maximum control, and that's why they make the groups as small as they can.... But I would love to see less and less elders, so that they would be forced to have larger congregations, thus less control...

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I think its about control too. And you are right JH it does make it harder to sleep!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Large groups are harder to control than small ones.

When I first became a JW it wasn't unusual to find 25 or 30 people in a book study. Eventually they restructured to make the groups much smaller, with a maximum of 12 people. Their reason for doing this was so they could "pay closer attention to the needs of the individuals in the groups".

But we all know it's all about exercising tighter control, isn't it?

W

• M.J.
    M.J.

Must be about elder/flock ratio. Why else would they split up one KH into two English congregations that each fill up 1/4 of the seats during the Sunday meeting? That's what they do here.

• JH
    JH
    Eventually they restructured to make the groups much smaller, with a maximum of 12 people

That's not OK !!! Imagine the same poor brothers always reading at the book study. I liked it when there were about 8 brothers per book study who would read each their turn, not like it is now, with 2 or 3.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit