Its been kind of dead around here lately

by Pathofthorns 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The letter was never sent. It was written during a painful time. COC and the mountain of evidence documented had a big effect on me. Disassociating seemed to be the only option that I could conscientiously take.

Upon further consideration, and upon advice from others, the "fade away" approach seemed to be more desirable, and the letter in the end, would only serve to be only be a "mental disasociation" and a snapshot of what I was feeling at the time.

Path

Edited by - Pathofthorns on 20 September 2000 19:30:52

• AhHah
    AhHah

Path,

Thanks for the link. It definitely is your letter! Wow! Well done.

I understand the decision not to send it (although it is so well written that I wish every JW would read it). I made the same decision. I knew all too well how it would be received.

My decision not to send a letter was mainly to help me preserve possible lines of communication with family members, instead of allowing the org to immediately slam the door shut. My desire was to be able to discuss my reasons personally with my family so that they would be able to make their own decisions about me and hopefully prompt questions about their beliefs.

Unfortunately, when they each got around to asking me why they had heard I was not attending meetings, their reaction was cold and harsh (no more communication from them of any kind).

As for the local cong, after we ignored a few phone calls from elders, we haven't heard a word from anyone. There is one elder I was very close to, so I sent him a couple of cards assuring him of my affection for him and his family. I still miss him very much.

I also felt that I did not want to dignify the org by sending a letter, as though they deserved to know what I was doing and why. I felt that leaving without a word was the best way to demonstrate how I felt - that they no longer have any power over me personally. Actually they still do, in so far as they are responsible for making family and friends feel good about shunning me. However, everyone does have a choice, and I realize that they value loyalty to the org over me. It took me a long time to recognize the deception -- so I remain hopeful for them.

Edited by - AhHah on 20 September 2000 14:10:13

• Zep
    Zep

You said it Path.Personnally, i dont give damn about religion at the moment.Though i am slowly reading the NT, just seeing if it'll speak to me all.Also read a little of 'The Blind Watchmaker' by Richard Dawkin's, dealing with evolution and stuff. But other than that, i'm just tired of spirituality and all that jazz, i dont care, its on the backburner pretty much.I sure dont care about the WT or some silly 1914 doctrine etc etc........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit