If you asked many JW's, how far can the new system be?

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Soledad
    Soledad
    I would answer: Everyday we are one step closer.

Uh huh. In December 1992 my mother and this elder assured me that it would only take another 10 years, if that, so I shouldn't be too worried about the future. I wasn't going to see age 30 in this system. ok. whatever!

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

The thing is..when the average Jw says the end is nigh because things are getting so bad...wooah,i say things are getting better!

There is a good chance of living to 80/90+ in relatively good health.No real chance of huge wars like in the first 50 years of the 20th century.Far less chance of Nuclear War now than in the entire Atomic age and more and more diseases are being wiped out.

A naive way of looking at things maybe...but im sticking to it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

In 1968 it was only a matter of weeks or months...

Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?

"...30 Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man’s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ. If these two periods run parallel with each other as to the calendar year, it will not be by mere chance or accident but will be according to Jehovah’s loving and timely purposes. Our chronology, however, which is reasonably accurate (but admittedly not infallible), at the best only points to the autumn of 1975 as the end of 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth. It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh creative “day.” Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the “sixth day,” which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or “day” ended, and how long Adam lived into the “seventh day.” And yet the end of that sixth creative “day” could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years."

-- The WATCHTOWER, August 15, 1968 page 499.

Today, of course - some 37 years later - we understand so much more about Jehovah's purposes, and we now understand that this was just the specualtion of "some brothers" who happened to work in the Watchtower's writing department in 1968. "Some brothers" with names like "Fred Franz," "Nathan Knorr," "John Barr," "Carey Barber," "Samuel Herd," "Geoffrey Jackson," "Theodore Jaracz," "Steven Lett," "Gerrit Lösch," "Anthony Morris," "Guy Pierce," "Albert Schroeder," "David Splane," and "Daniel Sydlik;" spiritually immature men who were given to following pipe dreams and fantasies, incapable of discerning truth.

Today we can be certain that it is only a matter of weeks or months, not years. In fact, it's just around the corner... oops, sorry, that was the postman.

• JH
    JH
    Today we can be certain that it is only a matter of weeks or months, not years

That's what ruined my trust in the JW Org. Going beyond what is written in the bible.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I agree with fleaman, this is by far the best time to ever be alive.
    Remember Russell said that the 1890's were so bad the Bible Students were doubting the system could survive to 1914. End of the worldists love to wallow in the selfpity of their miserable lives waiting for something better to fix it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit