Anyone here ever taken Valium?

by Schizm 30 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

My mom used to give me Valium when I had a hard time getting to sleep (Mother's Little Helper!), so when my dad died and I was really stressed I asked my doctor for a prescription. Man, you would've thought I was asking for heroin! They grudgingly gave me five little pills (probably because Dad committed suicide and they were afraid I was headed there too, which I wasn't), which was fine because I knew I just needed to break the cycle of Not Sleeping, and it worked fine and I didn't need any more than that.

Usually I take one of my husband's muscle relaxers (Flexeril) if I'm stressed, and that works pretty good too.

Sometimes we all need something.

Nina

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I went in for a test for carpotunnel (spelling) and the doc hit a nerve in my hand that just about shot me through the roof. After that I started having spasm problems and jerking when I slept. So I would pop two before bed, it would knock me out so I could sleep. I have tried it for anxiety also, and didnt do much at all. If I drink enough before I go to bed, I dont have a prob, but if I dont, I wake myself up with the jerks! I never became addicted, still have a full bottle from a year ago.

• dh
    dh

i realise people are calling it addictive, but seriously, i have taken it a lot of unconnected occasions and haven't found it to be addictive in the slightest. when i used to fly a lot i would take 20 or 30 mg's so that i would be totally spaced out and knocked out before take off, i would take a cocktail of diazepam (valium) 1-30 mg and temazapam (a regular sleeping tablet) 20-80mg, mmmm, sleeeeeeeep... flying 12 hours is boring anyway, and i have long legs, so that is my justification, and the only reason i would take it on a plane, but that being said... never once have i felt compelled to take it (or anything else for that matter)... i like the feeling of valium, it is designed to take an edge off, and if i did want to take it all day long, i could because it is easy to get hold of by the thousand, but i don't feel the need to take it often at all... so that leads me to believe that it isn't addictive...

my take on it (diazepam) is that it's a great recreational drug! - take it for a medicinal purpose and you are probably gonna have to take it regularly, and that is probably where the addiction comes from. take it for fun and not often, and enjoy. feel free to tell me how wrong i am, just stating my personal opinion based on my personal experience with this wonderful blue pill. lol

• rebel8
    rebel8

It is addictive, dh. However, to become addicted to something, you usually need to engage in habitual use first. If you used it daily for long enough, physical addiction is inevitable.

• avishai
    avishai

Whoa, there , dh!!! Just because you (or I for that matter) never got addicted, does'nt mean it's Non-addictive!!! Geez. Just because something has a propensity for addiction does'nt mean that everyone who takes it gets addicted!!!

• talesin
    talesin

Hey DH!

Addictive does not mean that you use it once in a while. If you note my comments, I said regular use over several weeks can cause dependency. These are meds that are often prescribed for daily usage. It's a whole other thing.

Most addictions occur after repeated usage. That is true of cigarettes, alcohol, opiates, etc. Few substances cause addiction with occasional use.

That being said, use of prescription and over-the-counter medications for recreational purposes can do serious liver damage. This includes everyting from Gravol to lorezapam to amphetamines (bennies or black beauties as they are commonly known).

For example, even one incident of using Gravol combined with alcohol to get a high can permanently damage your liver, if you are unlucky.

I state these facts not to be punitive towards you, but to warn any innocents that may be reading this thread. Enjoy if you choose, but don't go overboard, friend, I wouldn't like to see you damage your liver. ;)

tal

(this is based on my professional experience as a youth worker who has known kids with serious liver damage from such OTC and Rx drug usage, and not personal opinion)

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I've used klonopin, flexirel, and xanax in the past and never got addicted. Different people have different reactions. The only drug I had bad withdrawal effects from quitting was Paxil. So bad that one morning I woke up with the worst vertigo ever and puked every time I moved my head or eyes.

A little over 3 years ago I had an angiogram done and they wanted to give me valium through an IV. Well I wasn't nervous and felt fine so I declined but they said it's procedure so I was well, okay. I felt that stuff go right to my head and it freaked me out and I told everybody in the room to stop working on me until I felt normal again. So I definitely don't like valium, but that's just my opinion.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia
    i was given valium when i had my eyes lasered didnt seem to do anythind for me at all! but like someone said just coz it doesnt affect one person doesnt mean it wont affect someone else a different way
  • kid-A
    kid-A

Statistically, valium is the prescription drug with the highest addiction liability. Even stronger than narcotics. However, in terms of being dangerous, its very low on the totem pole.

Antidepressants, particularly SSRIs can be extremely dangerous in some users.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Schizm, As a once in awhile chill pill, I would recommend it highly for you. You never did answer my question, I answered yours. HL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit