Is sunshine and fresh air counter productive?

by Darth Yhwh 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I’ve attended meetings at a handful of Kingdom Hall’s in my day. I would venture a guess of approximately five or six. I’ve also driven by many more. One thing that I’ve noticed is that none have any significant number of windows if they even have any at all.

I would like to know the reasoning behind the decision to keep the rank and file under the oppressive glow of florescent light fixtures in lieu of allowing them to refresh them selves with the natural light that Jehovah created for their benefit. What are your thoughts on this matter? Is it a way to cut down on construction costs or does it go deeper than that? Is it a conspiracy by Governing Body to limit distractions from the outside world? If your local Kingdom Hall had windows, how would that have impacted your service to Jehovah?

• carla
    carla

I have been given the following reasons for no windows-

People used to throw rocks through because they hated jw's. persecution.

They don't want people daydreaming, keeps their eyes on the speakers.

Windows are expensive and the added cost is not worth it. (hmm, the kh by my house has a concrete drive and parking lot! in our area that is very, very expensive. The interior decorating is not too shabby either!)

• damselfly
    damselfly

Maybe it's to prevent people from looking in. If they are curious about what goes on inside, they will have to attend a meeting?

One of my halls had windows but they were placed high on the wall and the hall was on a high foundation. No one could look in them or out of them when seated.

The other hall I attended was at ground level with no windows that I remember. It could be security issues as well, it's harder to break into a building with no windows.

Dams

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Windows can be installed in a clerestory application. This places the windows high enough in the wall to let light and air in without giving up security or privacy. I also know for a fact that other churches of various denominations all use windows in their construction. The cost of glass and commercial aluminum is not too much more than other available building materials.

I would like to know if any one out there knows anything about the procedure for Kingdom Hall design development and why there is such a diffencey in window usage. I can understand the concerns regarding vandalism but I think that security reasons are bogus. Seriously, what would anyone want to possibly steal from a Kingdom Hall?

• kid-A
    kid-A

my old KH actually had lots of windows, but they dont build them like that anymore. I would always go out of my way to get a "window" seat and stare longingly out the window as one of the androids blabbed on and on about the end of world......I was happy just to see a green tree outside of this boredom chamber.....

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Oh man, what I wouldn't have done for a window seat at the Kingdom Hall! I am truely green with envy.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

It is so people cannot see the ritualistic sacrafice of the virgins at the alter...

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

The first hall I attended had lots of windows. When the time came to build a new hall,....no windows. I remember being told that it was due to vandalism, although not one single window, nor any other type of vandalism ever occured at the old hall.

Once the new hall was built, the old one ended up being converted into a "church."

• kid-A
    kid-A

"Once the new hall was built, the old one ended up being converted into a "church."

Wow, you'd think jehovah would have struck the renovated KH with fireballs seeing that his former residence was now being occupied by the great harlot!!! LOL

• jgnat
    jgnat

Our older Kingdom hall has no windows. I heard they used to and they were bricked in. A brand-new Kingdom Hall just opened down the street, and it has these:

Windows can be installed in a clerestory application. This places the windows high enough in the wall to let light and air in without giving up security or privacy.

I took a look around and compared the new hall to regular Christian construction. The first notable difference is how the interior space is split in to all these side rooms. This large hall has been split in to two large meeting rooms to accommodate four congregations in shifts. A similar Christian church would have made a single meeting room, or sanctuary. I imagine the smaller congregations make it easier for the elders to monitor the flock, and the side rooms for private conversations. My church has a much larger stage area and theatrical lighting to accommodate plays, skits, and special presentations. It seems JW's save those for the conventions. The KH lobby is airy and spacious, but it does not accommodate informal socialization after the meeting. New churches are built with large lobbies, a place to make coffee, and an information board to encourage people to interact informally before and after the meeting. I do like the KH's sheltered car-port and no stairs, something Christendom could imitate.

Now, churches usually have a warren of children's rooms in the basement to accommodate all the children's services and the nurseries. I didn't have a good look in the KH basement, but I suspect the construction is quite different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit