JW funerals getting more personable??

by Alana 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Well, the nimrod that handled my dad's last August stuck to the script and it was nothing but a plug (or a butt plug however you want to look at it) for the WBTS, he even kindly offered to have a study with anyone interested at the end of his speech. Luckily for him dad was cremated or I would have pitched his worthless carcas into the hole when he was done.

On a happy note, my cheapskate mother accepted the grave marker from the government as dad was a vet, but what she didn't count on was the soldier who showed up to present her with a folded United States flag. All the JW's present looked on in horror after brother Nimrod was done and this soldier steps up and gives this speech about what a good soldier dad was etc. and goes to hand the flag to mom who just sits there jaw hanging open, so I stepped up and took the flag. It saved the day for me, at least someone said something about who my father was.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

It isn't your imagination. They ARE somewhat more personable these days.

Maybe I am wrong but I think maybe they got such bad press because of their coldness about death that they are trying to change everybody's opinion of them. They also realize they sound like "Scrooge" because of their attitude toward Christmas, etc. so they want to show how human they are.

They also know that funerals are gathering place of worldly relatives who they have a chance to "make a good impression on", so they are treating this delicately, possibly. When you think about it, they are giving a public talk to worldly people who wouldn't otherwise listen to them.

• blondie
    blondie
    Can any witness, male of course who is in "good standing" give the memorial service?

They have to have been pre-approved by the body of elders in his congregation. Almost always it will be an elder. If a brother gives a funeral talk without getting his BOE's approval, he could lose his "privileges" in the congregation.

Blondie

• Es
    Es

When my grandfather passed away altho he wasnt a JW my father asked him before he died if he would mind if a JW gave the funeral talk. Anyway it was a pretty good one very personal, talked bout my pops past even related stories that i had never heard before. When the bro said he loved his great grandson (my son) that was it i was uncontrollable. He only briefly brought up the new system and that was it.

So overall pretty well done

es

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

A funeral should serve as a commemoration of the person who has died. While there is some justification in expressing what the deceased believed about what happens at death, the Society's standard approach to funeral talks cheapens the event by turning the event into a preachy sermon.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Locally here (about 2 months ago) a brother that stopped going to meeting for 2 years offed

himself with a gun, and the talk was similiar to the one first mentioned in this topic.

They even mentioned that xxxxxxx had the "belief of the resurrection for the longest"

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

It seems that the Pharisaical rules are applied differrently from congregation to congregation, but I believe the fact that the service was done in a funeral home allowed for more latitude. A service done at the KH has to follow the official outline. It's such a sad occasion when someone dies, especially someone well loved. Having stories from their life really helps ease the pain of the loss of life. The preachy stuff does not seem to bring much comfort.

• calico
    calico

A close friend of mine--too young--died a few years back of cancer. She was such a character and I sat there thinking of all the silly things she did. I only recall the brother mentioning one story about her personally--there was so much more about her that could have been said. Of course you know what the rest of the talk was like!

• Alana
    Alana
    It seems that the Pharisaical rules are applied differrently from congregation to congregation, but I believe the fact that the service was done in a funeral home allowed for more latitude. A service done at the KH has to follow the official outline. It's such a sad occasion when someone dies, especially someone well loved. Having stories from their life really helps ease the pain of the loss of life. The preachy stuff does not seem to bring much comfort.

I agree that it may vary from congregation to congregation. This one that I grew up in was more like an extended family (well, actually, most of them are related). My dad's memorial service was held in the KH and not the funeral home and his was like this one....with stories of him over the years, etc. I was very surprised and pleased, because those JW infomercials don't really do any good. Those who are JWs already know what they are saying and those who are not JWs are usually taken aback at the obvious preaching at them at a time that should be spend celebrating the life of someone they cared about. If the JWs would just get a clue that they could give a more powerful "witness" if they would cut the condescending preachiness. (not that I want them to give a more powerful "witness"....lol....but, I think you know what I mean....)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit