AUSSIES: PLEASE READ THIS - Is JW accountant Australia's top tax fraud?

by ozziepost 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Appearing in the current issue of Australia's BRW ("Business Review Weekly") magazine is the cover story of the Australian Taxation Office's cracking down on tax fraud.

Two high fliers are singled out, a former Assistant Tax Commisiioner and...... a CPA (Public Accountant) well known to JWs in Sydney. Why?

Because the practice is staffed and run by JWs, some of them quite prominent in dub circles!

For many years now pioneers who are accountants (or nearly so!) have been able to get part-time work at the practice.

It has very close connections with the Australia Branch Office and is situated in Liverpool, an outer Sydney suburb neighbouring the suburb with Bethel.

Here's what BRW says:

"Sam Cassaniti is before a jury on criminal charges more than 10 years after ATO and law-enforcement authorities first began to investigate his alleged mishandling of tax returns filed in the names of his clients. The combative Sydney accountant has pleaded not guilty in the District Court of New South Wales to 23 charges of tax fraud and one charge of attempted fraud..........................On one occasion, his home and office were raided by almost 40 officers.........The Commonwealth director of public prosecutions (DPP) alleges that cassaniti filed false tax returns in the names of his clients without their knowledge and kept the refunds.......Cassaniti has mounted an amazing resistance to ATO investigations over the years and has mounted a barrage of written complaints about his alleged harassment. And he has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal actions against the ATO and its officers."

(BRW September 8 - 14, 2005 issue)

Imagine that - it's been going on for ten years! I wonder how many dubs in Sydney knew of this?

If you want to see more, try this: http://www.brw.com.au/

• Scully
    Scully
    The combative Sydney accountant

I see he's earned a reputation for having "fits of anger".... wonder if the JWs have been turning a blind eye to that in order to benefit in some way from his Accounting skills....

Seems you can get away with anything among JWs if the right buttocks are being kissed.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, Scully, you're about the connections! I'm surprised they've kept a lid on this one!

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Ozzie - looks like the story is "locked" and I need an account to view. Can you post it? Thanks

• Miss_MG
    Miss_MG

Thanks Aussie going out to buy the mag now

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Oh a nice little scandal right here downunder!

I love it. Sounds like he's one of those real pompous butt kissing type brothers to get away with fraudulant behaviour and fits of anger. Hopefully this will cause some ripples in the Sydney dub community!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    the story is "locked" and I need an account to view. Can you post it?

I don't think that would be legal.

• JW83
    JW83

Dammit! A juicy piece of gossip & I don't know the guy!

• blakky
    blakky

i know this guy, he was in my old cong. Italian bloke, never strong in the faith. Was inactive for about 10yrs, so i would nt call him a JW.

Apparently he is in jail now...he ripped off a lot of brothers in the circuit. He deserves what he gets.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Blakky,

You Italian too? We probably have met up!

Anyways, no matter what his status you'll know the family influence in Sydney and the numbers of pioneers that worked there - presumably they were asked, or pressured, to be accomplices. Which is where Bethel comes in..................

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit