OCT 1st WT SLAMS HIGHER EDUCATION.....AGAIN

by Mary 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Maverick
    Maverick

Upside/down has got it right, as paragraph 13 talked about immorality, the Nit-witness youth don't need to go to college to learn how to drink, screw, and misbehave. All they have to do is watch and pay attention to the Elders kids and young adults at their local K-Hall! They get the bonus lessons of the benefits of being two faced and the mastery of passive agressive manipulation as well. Later they can advance to guilt driven extortion and false love.

• under74
    under74
    Par 9: .....In other words, quality higher education is fast becomng the domain of the rich and influential, who put their children through it to ensure that they too become the rich and influential of this system. Should Christian parents choose such a goal for their children?

Wow, my mom couldn't pay for me to go to college and I went to undergrad and grad school on loan money...and I'm still not rich or influential--in fact, I'm in debt beyond belief because of school....

What did I do wrong?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

For me higher education is the coup de grace, what makes me truly despise the WBTS begins much younger, namely the eliminations of choice for a child and the stunting of their development. So many choices are removed from a dub childs life, to play sports, to date, to become a musician, to pursue the performing arts, and on and on it goes. So many possible paths are closed to dub children, so many avenues of growth and fullfillment of potential are never considered of which a higher education is one of the last the parents can shut down for a child before they become an adult through the mind control and guilt manipulation that begins when they bring the child home from the hospital.

• Mary
    Mary
    So education is getting panned again by the Borg..........but it's all right for it to have its band of educated lawyers in Crooklyn!

Exactly. You have to go to university if you want to become a lawyer, but it's a big no-no for anyone else. Assholes.

Confusedjw asked: Why would they say that? What is the goal?

Their goal is to keep people uneducated. University teaches you to think critically, view doctrines and opinions from all different angles, not just one, and this is a huge threat to a control group in any religion. Look at it another way: In the Old South, slave owners did all they could to keep their slaves uneducated. Even those that they did allow to learn some reading and writing (so they could add sums and perhaps keep the books for the Master), were watched with a measure of fear. After all, if slaves suddenly became educated and discovered that they could read and write and figure things out just as well as their masters, then that would end the entire institution right?

The WTS is no different. They do not want their members to start thinking and reasoning for themselves, because they know full well that they'll lose control over their lives. They don't want the R&F to study history, religion, philosophy or anything else that might expose them for what they really are. They don't want any kind of "independent thinking" going on. They want you to simply accept their ever-shifting doctrines without question.

The future of the Borg is walking....no, running out the door and there's virtually nothing they can do to stop it. This latest attempt of theirs to try and squash any sort of individuality or independence will meet with very, very limited success. They've got too many other major disasters on their hands right now and they're lashing out any way they can.

• Shania
    Shania

The WT in the past said " you can go to college ONLY if you intend to pioneer" I had a big problem with that reasoning...............in other words the rest of you dummies can flip burgers if you are not going to be a pioneer. How many do you know got a college degree, then came back and devoted their educated brain to a brainless work of walking the streets with the rags sorry mags for the Tower? Very few from where I am at, so you see they know they have to back peddle on this bad decision. The drama at this convention was all about this and what a BAD choice you make if you decide to go to college......you reap the negative attitude of the congregation...........Don't be fooled my friends there are loads of educated people running the show in Brooklyn.........................

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I'm extremely vocal about furthering one's education. One of the reasons I'm in the JWs' "borderline apostate" list.

DY

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

My last study conductor was discouraging me from keeping up w/college. I went after high school, left and now take classes online. For a good year, I let her suggestive comments keep me from attending.

She would say, "you know, LS, I have a good job and I never went to college. People think they need a degree and they don't. It takes precious time away from serving jehobah."

Whatever. I have to work, therefore I have to get a degree to do the job I intend to do when finished. It's expensive to live in NJ. Geesh.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Mary, Mary Notatal Contrary,

Thanx for this link that you posted on the thread re: Child Custody/Lying. Many are likely familiar with the following quotation from AWAKE!, May 22, 1969, p.15. While it came out shortly after I quit college to get baptized, the WT sentiments influencing me pre-1969 are unchanged to this day:

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end IN A FEW YEARS...Therefore, as a young person, you will NEVER FULFILL any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But WHERE WILL THIS SYSTEM OF THINGS BE AT THAT TIME? It will be well on its way toward its finish, IF NOT ACTUALLY GONE!

[CC: emphasis]

Mary -- you, I and others here know what we and family sacrificed educationally and financially because of the above. Thanx for compiling all this valuable "meat in due season"!

Final note of irony -- My alma mater continues to send me circulars and requests for financial aid!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yet another note of bitter irony:

An "anointed" couple in my college town took me under their wing as I was continuing my Bible study and attending meetings. It was they, and they alone among all the JWs, who encouraged me to continue my education. Their son was a college professor. But whom did I listen to?

CoCo

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I was a high school senior in 1969, graduating in 1970. You can imagine how articles like the above influenced me. It seems to me there was another quote very like the above, discouraging college. Maybe someone can find it. I think it was also in 1969. I typed it out and put it on a 3x5 card when I was leaving, to remind me how misled I'd been

They're still at it, the bastards. I've got a granddaughter whom I am hoping I can keep from being influenced by this.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit