WT Against Higher Education...Again

by Jeannine 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JeepRube:

That used to get me too. They would tell you in their publications to be a good student, etc. but yet they would tell you college is no good.

In the old days when I used to write letters (thinking it would help), I very sarcastically told them how stupid it was that they said you should study hard only to be told you were supposed to clean toilets for a living.

This is really all about them being afraid of educated people. So they want to convince you that higher education is no good for you. The reality is that it is no good for THEM.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    This above-mentioned activity sure has gotten me in the 'border-line apostate' list. DY

I always have viewed you as a strong apostate.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

The more the rank and file educate themselves the weaker the grip of the WTBTS becomes. I know that when I was college age they discouraged it while a few years later several of the elder’s sons are suddenly getting a college education.

My guess is that they see numbers fall and decide to put a halt to it.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

DAMM!!

I was reading this from a poster:

ahh yes, because as we all know, these things only take place on university campuses, and 24 hours a day. This is just another example of the fundamentally cynical view the WTS has of an individual's ability to make good decisions, i.e., that he has none. And that is even secondary to what I feel is one of the REAL reasons they don't want the youth going to college - they will pick up the nasty habit of critical thinking, and will be bombarded from all sides with insidious peer pressure to put ideas in to historical and social context.

And I thought: what a coherent put down!! Who wrote this?

None other than COGNITIVE DISSIDENT.

YOU ROCK Cog.

Dad

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Nice avatar, too Cog.

P

• SadElder
    SadElder

But, oh how they have tried to suck the marrow out of those of us who are professionals.

• Scully
    Scully
    But, oh how they have tried to suck the marrow out of us who are professionals.

Amen!

I think I'll start carrying a 16 gauge hypodermic needle in my purse at all times. Then, whenever a JW asks me for medical advice, I'll take it out and tell them to bend over. FYI:

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    This is really all about them being afraid of educated people. So they want to convince you that higher education is no good for you. The reality is that it is no good for THEM.

So true! Higher education is a danger to the WTS. We can't have the brothers thinking outside the box, now can we?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I reckon that they softened their opinion in the early nineties because all the old farts in bethel needed nursing, medical attention plus computers needed programming and buildings needed engineers and oh yeah, lawyers were required as well.

That's all sorted, so back to the dark ages.

Reminds me of a quote from the Simpsons.

Lisa says to Bart. Native Americans worshipped the land and the animals in it.

Bart. Gee haven't we progressed now we worship a carpenter who lived to thousand years ago.

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

It seems to me ... all their teachings are based in F-E-A-R ... instead of love.

Love and light,

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit