The Golden Hand Shake

by Grouper 12 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I always looked at this this way, they put up with a lot and perhaps they deserved it to some degree. I can honestly say that the CO visit was often the most entertianing of them all. After all, could you not sit and enjoy all the butt kissing and nervous attitudes. Anyone who could make my week that fun, deserved a tip!

• DocBob
    DocBob
    P.S. Do the COs declare this money on their taxes? How much do you think they get?

No they don't declare it. They, like all travelling overseers and Bethel workers are members of a special religious order within JWs called " Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah’s Witnesses", previously known as " Order of Special Full-Time Servants ". As such they have taken the Simple Vow of Poverty which allows them not to pay any taxes.

In my old congregation we had 4 or 5 families that would slip the CO a hundred each time they visited. No doubt several others gave them less. Four of five hundred a week, tax-free and that after your expenses have been covered isn't doing too badly.

• luna2
    luna2

I was so clueless that I had no idea that this was going on. So maybe that's why so many brothers would be seen shaking the CO's hand throughout his visit. There were several well to do families in both congregations I was a part of who I'm sure contributed in this way. I hope they saved it for their retirement funds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit