Can JWs donate to the Red Cross?

by marsal 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• marsal
    marsal

I do remember that as a JW, I was not allowed to donate to the Salvation Army because technically it is a church, but I don't remember anything about the Red Cross.

If JWs are not allowed to do so, why not? As far as I know, the Red Cross is not a faith-based organization.

Marianne

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I am sure officially this would be a 'conscience matter'.
    But as with everything with the JWs, there is a unofficial line that Jws should only be donating to the World-Wide fund.
    Eyeslice

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

JW's are discouraged from donating to any charity because they offer only "temporary solutions to mankinds problems". It's much better to "honour Jehovah with your valuable things" by donating to the "worldwide preaching work".

W

• rebel8
    rebel8

Apparently if you sign into this site, you can see an ad saying Prince is doing a benefit for the Red Cross.

So apparently it's ok for JWs now (not).

http://www.npgmusicclub.com/home.html

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The WBTS does not encourage its members to donate to any one charity. However, this JW and many others secretly donate to charities of their choice.

The only thing WBTS encourage their members to donate is their time/resources for service, to try and get more recruits. Otherwise, everybody that's not a JW is SOL when it comes time to help the community.

Sad, but true. JWs go great distance to help.... other JWs.

DY

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Sad, but true. JWs go great distance to help.... other JWs.

But they ignore, even persecute, those in need within their local congregations. I've seen it too many times.

W

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Oh, yes, Finally-Free, I forgot.... other JWs "in good standing".

A spiritually weakling wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell at being helped anytime soon. Sad. Very sad.

DY

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    A spiritually weakling wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell at being helped anytime soon.

Exactly. I remember a sister named Rita. She had schizophrenia, and was fine most of the time but couldn't work. She also had this annoying voice quality that made her sound that she was constantly breathing in helium, so most in the congregation were embarassed by her. She spent most of her time in service, doing about 100 hours a month. Her non JW mother threw her out because she was going in service so much. The elders refused to do anything to help her. She ended up in a womens shelter and no one heard anything about her again.

W

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

THE CROSS IS A PAGAN SYMBOL!!!!!!!!!

How dare you even consider such a thing!

I'm off to tell scholar.

steve

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following gives the recommended way of giving--and it isn't to the Red Cross. There are, however, individual Witnesses who do give to the Red Cross and other agencies anyway.

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/tsunami_relief.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit