finally reading "Crisis of Conscience"

by glenwoodswoman 11 Replies latest jw friends

• glenwoodswoman
    glenwoodswoman

I never had the desire to read the book in all the years I have been "liberated". Joining this board got me curious about the book and i am finally reading it....and I am blown away by it!

I left for reasons of my own- the society and I could not agree on who should run my life- them or me-I always felt that this life style works for some people, but not for me.

Now that I am reading COC, I see the whole issue in a much bigger light! What a hold they have on people..What a racket it is...and a dangerous place to be

Glenny

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I read the whole book with a face like this-

Afterwards I decided once and for all I'd never go back.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I also didnt see the need to read it but eventually did so and like everyone above I was blown away by its contents; its a fantastic book and very well written with great appeal to all; my advice is to read it, carry on reading it and read it again. Its funny when you read it a second time you learn so much more!

Glad you are enjoying...well done on your liberation.

DB74

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Wait until you read his "Christian Freedom…" book!

Mahalo!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember the article in "Time" magazine way back in the early eighties about Ray Franz. I was still a loyal witness, and my teenaged daughter showed it to me. I replied, "What other organization is there?" About five years later, I saw an article in a local paper about a couple who had read the book "Crisis of Conscience" and had tried to show it to the elders in their congregation as well as their grown children. As a result, they were disfellowshipped and were shunned by their children. Once again, my thoughts were, "What other organization is there?"

Interestingly enough, about ten years after that when I was beginning to have my own doubts, I went onto a search engine and guess what I typed in? Franz, 1975, Jehovah. For years I had secretly been curious about what Franz would have to say about the debacle of 1975 plus all the happenings at Bethel. The first thing I did was order Crisis of Conscience. It really blew me away. Up until then, I still believed that JW's were right about 1914 and the blood issue.

I've read both his books from cover to cover, and still get them out occasionally to thumb through them. I often wonder how he managed to keep his sanity going through what he did.

• Es
    Es

I really need to investigate on getting a copy.

es

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I hear his uncle is working on a posthumous biography--

"Screams from Gehenna... as told by F.W. Franz"

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

I am 3/4 of the way through the book myself. I have found the book very insightful and shocking. It has given me a good look at the history of the BORG, very unlike the history that is taught in the kingdom halls. It blew me away to see how many people have died because of decisions the governing body made. So much politics and ego, and a huge lack of compassion and realization for how the average JW is affected by their rules and regulations. I also now feel more prepared to debate with any JW's that may cross my path.

Clayton

"Brothers dont shake hands, brothers got to hug"

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

In Search of Christian Freedom is perhaps the best book I have ever read. I use it as a reference book too. The Walsh case court transcripts in one of the early chapters are something else! I've read some chapters 5 or 6 times and am still in awe. The whole of chapter 9 is available free online.

http://www.commentarypress.com/booklist-eng.html

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

To answer a friends question. No, I am quite sure from reading this book that Ray does not support the trinity doctrine, but only he could answer that question. You could email him, he is good at replying. He doesn't deal with the specific question in either of his books, but I think he gives a strong indication.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit