An Elder Called Me Tonight

by MerryMagdalene 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• JH
    JH

Well, I hope Hermann won't phone or be coming over...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

wow merry! those witnoid elders are the weirdest. and their whole jesus phobia, crazier. they're supposed to be xians, right? if they only knew that the feeling of being blessed that the governingbody feels, is the same thing as being a born again xian, the whole religion would fall apart. hence the jesus phobia.

cheers,

TS

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Thanks for the quotes, Blondie, and the rest of you for your interesting comments.

In talking with my mom about my family having been associated with the Society since the 1920s, she actually admitted that they had not emphasied Jesus enough once Rutherford discovered how important God's name was...but she said that all that changed once the Greatest Man book was printed.

The elder who called also happens to be the father of our JW next door neighbors--the ones who told their little boy not to talk to us because we're traitors.

Yup, I would feel pretty welcome coming back to the congregation here.

~Merry

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Merry))))

So sorry to hear about the call. I've been waiting for close to 15 years, but it's not going to happen I'm afraid. You can see the disappointed in my writing, can't you?

A dub was telling me with great pride about her experience doing street witlessing. She approached a woman and initiated a conversation.

The woman said - "I'm a christian. Are you a christian?" The answer:

"NO (!!!!!) I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

What else needs to be said?

LMAO! Oh gawd...too funny!

• Preston
    Preston

LMAO!

That elder wanted to get all that hooga booga Jesus vibe off of himself once faced with the mystical use of the word Christ...

(Pictures elder hiding under bed) "Everyone calling on the name of Jehovah will be saved!!!!"

- Preston

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

(now you've got me doing it...LMAO)

(Pictures elder hiding under bed) "Everyone calling on the name of Jehovah will be saved!!!!"

And I remember going out in FS and frequently coming across people who were surprised to learn that JWs were Christians...and not just Christians, we had to somehow convince them, but the only TRUE Christians...made obvious by our calling ourselves...Witnesses of Jehovah.

Was Rutherford an evil genius?

~Merry

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Kingdom Hall sign saying: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses"?

the other extreme was the fad in the 70s/80s to put up the Hebrew tetragrammaton at the front of the K.Hall. This too was eventually "discouraged " and all the signs came down again pdq.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I pointed out in another thread how the original Bible Student hymnal (during the days of Pastor Russell) had practically every other song written ABOUT Christ, praising him and expressing love for him. Compare this with the current "song book" and it is truly remarkable how far they have come in putting the "Christ" out of "Christianity".

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well Leo, I still like the one song where Jesus is compared to Gideon. Maybe my favorite song in that book, besides #23 of course, which I have played and recorded with 3 guitars, bass, drums and me singing in a distorted voice. It's pretty great. Comes through good on yahoo too. I don't think I have enough room on my AOL FTP space to get it on there.

ANYWAY (as Chuck Klosterman would write) there exists a group called "Jehovah's Christian Witnesses." They are trinitarian and have a website I believe. That's why in the late 70s you stopped seeing that phrased used in WT magazines.

• heathen
    heathen

LMAO--- That reminds me of movies I've seen where people are hypnotized by key words so if they get a phone call using the word they suddenly become manipulated by the caller . a trance like state ................. Maybe he thought you are demon posessed and by saying jehovah was going scare the demons off ......................... edited to add --- just caught this from blondie ----

*** km 10/78 p. 3 Is Your Kingdom Hall Presentable? ***

What about the sign "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses"? Is it neat and well kept, with good lighting, if necessary?

Yah I'm sure the first christian church was concerned about a friggen sign .....LOL If you are going to have a sign why not mention chirst in there somewhere ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit