An Elder Called Me Tonight

by MerryMagdalene 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I couldn't have been more surprised!

I've been DFed for 10+ years. 5 years ago they asked if they could stop by and talk with me sometime; I gave them my phone # and said "call first to make sure I'm home" and.....5 years later THEY DO ! ! !

I wish I had been prepared. But I doubt it would have mattered. Even though I said I did have several questions, he made it clear that all he wanted to know was did I want to come back to meetings? If so, I am very welcome.Welcome to come sit in the back and be ignored and scorned?
    Yeah, right...sign me up for that.

And why does the word "Christ" seem to make JWs so jumpy? I said I have recently experienced a renewed interest in learning more about God and Christ, and he had to say "Jehovah" really fast and with strong emphasis as if to counteract what I had said (and this is not the only time I have noticed this kind of response). You would have thought that I had said "Satan" or something.

Anyway, he seemed to just want to issue his meeting invitation, tick me off his list of things to do, and get off the phone really fast...so I let him.

~Merry

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

What a co-incidence. They called Es up last night too.... But she is on the other side of the world to you... Miss Peaches thinks somethings fishy....

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

its a new service year...and in the kingdom ministry there will be a reminder to follow up the instructions to call on all those df or da for more than a year...as per the wt of whenever...

so at least some elders are doing it...and to be fair i suppose there must be some bodies who are serious about it...

but any that i was on looked for reasons not to call...like they are still doing the thing they are df for...blah blah...or like u said merry...just ticked off their things to do list

mm...if u had said to me what u said to him i woulda been round like a shot

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene
    its a new service year

Well that makes some sense, at least. But I still wonder what took them so long? There is a "new service year" EVERY year isn't there?

Maybe my mom asked them to come around. She worries about me a lot. And now "they" can tell her they got in touch and I wasn't interested.

I'm glad you were never an elder around here, tij. You might well have been able to talk me into coming back. At least for a little while. Sincerity and compassion count for a lot with me. But there still would have been all the doctrinal and procedural issues that would have eaten away at me again... I'm glad you're here (at JWD) instead.

~Merry

• Honesty
    Honesty
    And why does the word "Christ" seem to make JWs so jumpy?

Because deep in their hearts they KNOW that they deny Him on a daily basis and when He is mentioned their spirit reacts to their guilt.

I bet the elders here never call at my apostate den because every one of them have been made aware that I joined Babylon the Great after the 'Damascus Road' experience I had a few days before I DA'd from their cult.

• blondie
    blondie

In my WT reviews I point out how significantly Jesus is absent from the study articles. I even have a phrase "where's Jesus?" to emphasis it. The WTS refers to themselves as Jehovah's servant's, Jehovah's people, Jehovah's faithful servants, fellow believers, servants of Jah, and rarely "true" Christians. They won't even put on the KH sign "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Christian Witnesses ."

While they have formed a corporation called Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses and have a letterhead to that effect, that term is not used in the articlesto refer to the body of JWs.

Where's Jesus at the KH?

Blondie

km 4/79 p. 4 Announcements ***

Is it appropriate to have a Kingdom Hall sign saying: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses"? So there will be uniformity, the Society encourages all to make their signs read: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses." (See October 1978 Our Kingdom Service, page 3, paragraph 5.)

km 10/78 p. 3 Is Your Kingdom Hall Presentable? ***

What about the sign "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses"? Is it neat and well kept, with good lighting, if necessary?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Blondie - you are so right about them marginalizing Jesus.

A dub was telling me with great pride about her experience doing street witlessing. She approached a woman and initiated a conversation.

The woman said - "I'm a christian. Are you a christian?" The answer:

"NO (!!!!!) I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

What else needs to be said?

HB

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Blondie - you are so right about them marginalizing Jesus.

A dub was telling me with great pride about her experience doing street witlessing. She approached a woman and initiated a conversation.

The woman said - "I'm a christian. Are you a christian?" The answer:

"NO (!!!!!) I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

What else needs to be said?

HB

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Congrats Mary on making the annual 'check and see if we can revise the dead and buried one's list'. Most likely your mention of Christ will prevent them from calling every year for a while now.

Blondie - your quote was interesting;

*** km 4/79 p. 4 Announcements ***

Is it appropriate to have a Kingdom Hall sign saying: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Christian Witnesses"? So there will be uniformity, the Society encourages all to make their signs read: "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses." (See October 1978 Our Kingdom Service, page 3, paragraph 5.)

I noted that they say the Society 'encourages' this; I wonder if anyone has ever ignored the 'encouragement' and posted a sign with Christian in the title of the hall? What would they do? Disfellowship the entire congregation for wanting to use Christ's name?

Jeff [of the wondering out loud class]

• blondie
    blondie

"encouraged"

Reminds me of what a CO told a body of elders about what a "suggestion" from the WTS means...that you do it without question.

If they had put up such a sign, the CO would have pressured them to take it down. There were some congregations that had put up such a sign in my area years ago, they all took them down. Elders like staying elders.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit