JW says they're told to report molestation to the police?

by thom 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• thom
    thom

Just got this email from a JW about an hour ago:
    "I just went to an anti-JW site. I was surprised to learn that we cover up child molesters, especially since it was announced that we should report child abuse accusations to the police. The only thing the posts had remotely correct was that a person doesn't get disfellowshipped unless he (assuming its a he) admits wrongdoing, or there is more than one person accusing him."
    Did I miss something? This is the first time I've heard they're encouraged to report to the police.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

It has always been my understanding that the elders "should" encourage or at least support a victim if they wanted to go to the police over an issue. The thing is in a tight-knit community like the JW's I think its very unlikely that an elder will put his neck on the line to do that.

I heard a talk shortly before I left explaining this policy and yes elders should do this, but I think realistically they are unlikely to do so.

• thom
    thom

The reason his email confused me is all the comments I've read about people being discouraged or worse by the org for reporting to the police.
    Are you saying that it has been announced or written by the WTBTS that it SHOULD be reported? How long has that been going on? Has something changed?
    I don't have any experience in such circumstances so I only am aware by what I've read, but his email and your reply are both a surprise to me.
    So if an elder discourages someone from reporting, he is going AGAINST the direction of the WTBTS?

• Momofmany
    Momofmany
    Are you saying that it has been announced or written by the WTBTS that it SHOULD be reported? How long has that been going on? Has something changed?

When the report from Dateline was aired, we were told not to watch it. (To this day, I wish I did) Then the following Thrusday we were informed that the report aired was wrong. Brother ------ said that any reports that were given, were to be turned into the police. That's where they lied on us. We report, always have, always will. We need to look out for those in need. Those hurting the sheep like ones, will be removed. They will be arrested, and charges will be brought.

I'm not sure when the Dateline story ran, but that's when it was announced at my kh.

• blondie
    blondie

Elders are told to call Legal in NY before doing anything. Then Legal will advise them if they are required to report legally in their state. If they are not required to report, they won't. This has been the case only in the last 2 or 3 years.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

There is an Official™ For Publick Consumption Policy™ whereby JWs claim that they are required to report child molestation to the police.

There is another Official™ Internal Policy™, whereby Elders™ are required to contact the Legal Department™ to determine whether they are required by law to report child molestation to the authorities. If the Elders™ are in a jurisdiction that offers Clergy™ immunity from reporting child molestation, then reporting is deemed optional, and the onus is left to the person making the accusation to report matters to the authorities. The Elders™ (officially) are NOT to discourage anyone from reporting criminal activity to the authorities. Unofficially, they tend to heavily remind accusers about the consequences of Bringing Reproach on Jehovah™.

• avishai
    avishai

What blondie and scully said. Plus, you have to factor in the two witness rule.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    especially since it was announced that we should report child abuse accusations to the police

My question is why do they have to wait for an announcement?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

As Scully said

The Elders™ (officially) are NOT to discourage anyone from reporting criminal activity to the authorities.

The worst of the cases that have made news and been the subject of legal cases, happened in the past. I used to be very skeptical of the claims of being warned off from reporting . But then there was the BBC Panorama programme, and the other TV programmes from around the world of which I read transcripts on the net. Then you add in all the personal experiences of all those unfortunate victims. They are not all exagerating. Do you remember in the T V Programme when Bill Bowen taped his conversation with legal Desk and they told him to ignore a case of reported abuse?

The evidence overwhelms and it saddened me very much at the time . Since I am not privy these days to elders letters I cannot say what has recently has been said by Brooklyn. I believe though that it depends where you live. If the law does not demand that ministes report , I cannot imagine them doing so. The advice given to the parent of a victim would, I guess depend onn the common sense of the individual elder.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Shortly after the Dateline program aired my elder father broke down the WTBTS policy for me. Basicly they were more concerned with protecting elder bodies, than with protecting innocent victims. According to him, elder bodies took their orders from Jehovah not local or state authorities. He was very adament that individual elders should NOT report these matters to the police. Doing such would violate a minister/parishioner trust and could discourage others from coming forth with other sins in the future.

It's all legalistic bullshit if you ask me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit