What would you do if all the gas dried up?

by jayhawk1 31 Replies latest jw friends

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Okay, we know all the gas won't dry up soon, but it sure is expensive. I got to thinking, what would I do and what would others do if there simply wasn't any gas to buy? Myself, would it no longer be worth making payments on my home and moving to another one closer to work? (I live 30 miles from work.) Would it mean living near work and letting my family live in our home? Would I even have a job to go to? (I work in the aircraft industry.)

What changes would you be prepared to make if things changed drastically for you? Or have you begun to make changes in the way you do things today?

We've begun walking to the store and other places around our local community. I'm buying a motorcycle to ride instead of using my truck to take to work. I've nearly stopped drinking diet sodas and replaced that with water. And we've turned up the air-conditioner 2 degrees to cut down on the cooling bill. I don't consider any of these things to be a sacrafice, but they've been helpful thus far.

• JH
    JH

If that happened, cities would be organized differently. Every parish would be auto sufficient, like in the past. Many years ago, people went to school, to church, to the grocery store, to the post office, in their parish. They even married the girl next door...

Today, the way cities are made, work is far, school is far, people live in suburbs of big cities, with long traffic jams to get anywhere.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Clearly towns would have to become more self-sufficient in such a senerio. Also attitudes would have to return to a pre-modern society. I wonder what industries would be like if there was no fuel for cars.

(Just something to think about.)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Norman Tebbit

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Norman Tebbit??? Please explain?

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I think we would have a really shiznity couple years then things might actually be BETTER! Smaller more centrally located cities... People getting off their butts and walking Dunno, it would be different thats for sure!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I know this, I've lost weight as a result of higher gas prices. Soon I will weigh less than I did 10 years ago.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Like I said in another post the other day, we can grow oil. It will never run out in that sense. The only thing that will happen is oil will compete with food for the finite amount of space there is to grow "stuff", making the gap between rich and poor larger.

• in a new york bethel minute
  • ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

There will always be a way to get oil, just not crude oil found in the ground. There's a technology that can make oil out of animal byproducts. That oil can be turned into gasoline. We will always have gasoline, just not gasoline that's made from crude oil. BTW, guess which country has the biggest factory farms that can make the bio-gasoline? Yup :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit