Went to church for 2nd Sunday in a row...

by findingmyway 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• defd
    defd

billy calling our heavenly father by his name is not impersonal...it just the opposite. By calling him by his name it is being personal. Jesus did it.

• findingmyway
    findingmyway
    You mean "the fryin pan" of the Watchtower? Dude! You're makin' progress!

Freudian slip! I doubt he knew what he was saying when he posted it. That statement lives forever on the JWD! Glad I made it happen!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

defd,

If your child called you "Defd" (or whatever your name is) rather than call you "father", "dad", or "daddy", would that bother you? I am God's child. He is not a neighbor that I call by a first name. I call him Father, because I feel closer to him than just someone I'd call by a first name.

Andi

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sooo, by this bit of linguistic reasoning, defd, are you suggesting that Billygoat is praying to another god? There is only one God.

Luke 7: 18 John's disciples told him about all these things. Calling two of them, 19 he sent them to the Lord to ask, "Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?"

20 When the men came to Jesus, they said, "John the Baptist sent us to you to ask, 'Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?' "

21 At that very time Jesus cured many who had diseases, sicknesses and evil spirits, and gave sight to many who were blind. 22 So he replied to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy [b] are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.

Billygoat gives a fine testimony to her healing, and she knows from whence it came. The proof is in the fruit.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I think that if God is the all knowing loving being people say he is, he would know if someone is praying to him sincerely, whether they call him God, Lord, Jehovah, Father, Allah (arabic for "the Lord").

Mocking the pronunciation of YHWH used in the KJ bible is silly - it was not invented by WTS, although most people today think it was.

Many eminent preachers in the past used it. There is a hymn "Guide me Oh thou great Jehovah" - which was recently changed to "great redeemer" because people were terrified of being thought of as witlesses.

Does God get this uptight?

But yes - my impression is that it is far less difficult to make freinds in contemporary churches.

HB

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Glad ya had a good experience

Whilst I see religion as no more than a tool for the spiritually minded (albeit one that's open for misuse), I believe it becomes one especially so for the exJW. It helps us put behind us the illusion the WTS created about the people of "Christendom".

If, for no other reason than that, I recommend folks try out a few different denominations (even just one, if that's all they can bear, but preferably not Roman Catholic if that's the case, as that's nearest to the stereotype we had implanted).

It's good to dispel our "conditioning".

I'm heartened to see defd slowly waking - the light truly does get brighter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit