18 YEAR OLDS

by hibiscusfire 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

An eighteen yr-old is old enough to drive a car. Old enough to wed without their parents' permission. Old enouth to go to R and NC-17 movies. Old enough to smoke. Old enough to be sent to prison if they've commited a crime. Old enough to vote. Old enough to enlist in the military and fight, maybe die, in a war.

In other words, socially and legally, they are adults, not kids. Treat them like kids and they'll act accordingly; treat them like adults, and they may well surprise you with the depth of their maturity.

Personally, I don't think we should allow our homes (or specifically, our toilets) to get grimy, just because one member of the household isn't pulling their weight; that's probably not healthy.

• hibiscusfire
  • hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

gi:

When I was 18, I didn’t know how to drive, have a car, was not allowed to have a job because it would make me to independent. I was only allowed out, to go out in service, with older woman (men have jobs, and by older I mean in there 60’s) I was not allowed to work with people my age because it would make me have thoughts of independents. As a result I am years behind others emotionally. That probably was not the best thing for me… After I got away from my parents when I was 21, I suddenly found myself in a big world, and totally clueless, and promptly found myself making all the mistakes I should have already made

At 18 I was still at school so I had no job yet. I had a boyfriend (a big mistake). I thought that I'd get married at 18 and have lots of kids so I could see my great great grandchildren....didn't work that way. At 18, I was mature enough and responsible enough in certain things. I still felt like a child yet like a young adult I was supposed to be at times. I never thought I was old enough to see adult movies...I really didn't want to though...I was curious...whatever I learnt was at school...books, talk - you know.

I couldn't drive either. Yes I was very naive though. I believed people were just either good or bad no in betweens.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Gently

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Gently:

And is there some other household job that you hate as much as she hates cleaning the toilet? You could offer to trade. I'd rather clean toilets than vacuum or sweep floors, for instance.

I hated doing the dishes because the soap would damage my hands....still do. I prefer to dig dirt outside.

But cleaning the toilet is something at least everyone should be concerned. I know some people will attempt to clean the toilet bowl when there is toilet paper and mess in it. Then the brush stays with it. eeeeewwwwwwww!!!!

I do believe that parents need to show/teach children about everything ....little things that people take for granted....it may be ok with them in the house but other people (visitors) would notice these bad habits and scorn.

Hibie

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

It depends on the individual. Some 18 year olds have the maturity level of a 13 year old. By the time I was 18, I had full-time employment, I was living on my own, and I was caring for my own physical needs. My parents' next door neighbors still have their 33 year old son living in their basement. Not sure exactly what that says about him, but ever since I moved out he's been saving for a house and he's only 1 year older than I.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I remember that during the Vietnam war, those of us 18 or so were plenty old enough to be drafted and killed in combat. But too young in most cases to get a car loan, and it seems that you could not vote till 21 then.

My dad served for several months in Korea as an 18 year old in the 50's. He was allowed to kill for his country, but when he returned the state laws would not allow him to get married until he was 21.

I wish they would have let him - I was one of those darn 6 month babies...

Jeff

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I have a just-turned 19 year old working in my family's business, for 3 years now. Tough, dedicated, loyal, hard-working, does whatever aked of him. I wouldn't trade him for anyone. He's the exception. When I was 18 I worked my ass off to be independent. It seems something happened to most of the kids 3-4 years younger than me (Im 33) and most 18 year olds think they have 18 more years to grow up. Or maybe I'm getting old.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hibis, I left home to get away from the JW influence at age 15. By 18 I worked at two jobs to save money for college. My wife and I trained our kids to be self reliant so that when they graduated from High School they could support themselves if need be. For the most part, they all did.

carm

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Surely it depends. You can get 12 year olds who can cook, clean and look after themselves. At the same time there are 30 year olds who act like children and havent got a clue. Its all about maturity, and sometimes that comes from giving them no choice but to be responsible for themselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit