Does anyone else not really care about Katrina?

by sonnyboy 64 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

Well, It's funny. It takes this to care about folks. ya know, what about the carnage and genocide that we've been ignoring in the Sudan for yrs.?

• avishai
    avishai

Dude, Honestly, though, I feel ya. Got whacked in the head a couple yrs. ago, and am on SSD. SERIOUS change in standards, and have a mortgage. Messed up my credit etc., plus I'm sick. But, I'm still looking into what I can do, as it takes the focus off of my OWN problems which is nice for awhile, but I have more time on my hands, so it's a different situation. ((((sonnyboy))))

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Thanks, Finally-Free. I do help others when I can, but now I'm focusing on helping myself and getting back on track.

I'm still trying to grasp the situation. When I bought lunch for the homeless man at the Harbor a few weeks ago, we sat outside eating, watching passers by. He told me how his life was pretty much f'ed after the war, and he was shell-shocked all to hell. He then said, "Watch this," and tried to start conversations with a few people who were going about their business.

Not ONE of these generous, giving Americans would even look at him. Not one. Some turned their heads, and others kept looking straight and they walked on. The man didn't look dangerous or overly 'homeless', as in wearing rags, but you could tell that he lives on the street.

It's too much effort for some to even look at such people, yet it's so easy give support and turn on the waterworks during a natural disaster?

I guess I really don't understand how compassion works.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    It's too much effort for some to even look at such people, yet it's so easy give support and turn on the waterworks during a natural disaster?

I guess I really don't understand how compassion works.

i'm with you sonnyboy.

it is sad what happened there. but really, no more sad or tragic than what happens all over the world all the time due to western foreign policy, and famine and war and greed etc etc etc.

the most parsimonious explanation is that we're a bunch of apes guessing as we go along, although we are REMISS to admit it and work with it. this explains a lot, including the disingenuous news coverage you see in the states, and lack of it regarding all the other crap that goes on in the world including trauma sustained by OTHER species with whom we share common ancestors.

injustice is everywhere. it's so prolific, it's normal. indeed, it never really has been different. we've always been dumb like this.

TS

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

[duplicate]

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

The first post is pretty much the definition of becomeing jaded: 'They don't care, so I don't care.' That may explain why people become jaded, but it does not excuse it. How different the discussion would be if no one ever responded when disaster struck - no news coverage, no donations at all, no caring at all. At least what we're seeing in response to Katrina is a response. Imagine if these disasters went ignored - as we assume is done to people's "everyday" troubles. What kind of world would it be if people really never did anything, ever. Whether that means advocating, donating money... or sitting down with a homeless person to have lunch and talk. People work every day for the betterment of those at the mercy of "common" forces that create homelessness, starvation, abuse, and other tragedies. Perhaps I'm biased because I've worked with and for those at the receiving end of those forces. Even if we personally have faced suffering in spades, that does not warrant ignoring the efforts that are made everyday to address these concerns. Those efforts are thwarted repeatedly by corrupt people and organizations, but that doesn't mean no one cares. That doesn't mean that no one is benefiting from the efforts put forth against the forces that create suffering. Thank goodness many of those fighting for these things don't give up. I don't expect them to fix the world - I don't even expect they will make a major dent in current policies and politics - but it says something about the power of hope and the power of valuing others when people insist on fighting against the hardening of their hearts and the hearts of those who suffer.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Sonnyboy, welcome to the extremes of capitalism!

carmel

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

ahhhh how refreshing it is to see that people can take the problems going on in the world and turn it around about themselves...woah is me...blah blah blah

sheesh people, put your cross down for a few minutes and try not to think only of yourself.

sonnyboy...don't feel like an asshole though...it is better to be honest to lie about how you feel. Heartless bastard? Sure, why not.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Don't any mods read this thread?

I don't know why it's not closed yet. If Simon posted something like this it would have been a shit storm and deleted by now.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

And for the last time, I wasn't trying to make this specifically about me (although it may have sounded that way in a few posts). I was trying to make a point that most people were able to get.

I really wish I never made this thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit