Serena speaking for the Red Cross?

by Fatfreek 14 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I'm watching the U.S. Open tennis and the Williams sisters are about to play each other. Then comes the commercial. Serena, in a simple plea, asking the viewers to make their contribution to the American Red Cross toward the Katrina tragedy.

Good for you, Serena. No mention of the "World Wide Work". I'll bet the bros. at headquarters are stewing in their angry juices.

Fats

• _Atlas
    _Atlas

OH OH !!!

This on top of that see-thru dress, with the conspicuously brown pepperonis, flashing at you?

She is gonna be soooo grounded !!!

• Valis
    Valis
    Serena, in a simple plea, asking the viewers to make their contribution to the American Red Cross toward the Katrina tragedy.

anyone who thinks she is a Witness, has any standing in a congregation or does anything but lip service, most probably to keep their parents happy is delusional...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    the conspicuously brown pepperonis

My neighbors probably heard me bust out laughing at that one

• heathen
    heathen

Yah I watched that . Venus took her down old school . LOL

• blondie
    blondie

Only the mother is a baptized JW. The father was never involved.

Serena and Venus at the most are unbaptized publishers. But remember the flag incident in Australia?

I think they are high profile enough that the WTS will never do anything that will get into the media...remember MJ...and Prince's dress and grooming even now does not resemble the average JW.

Blondie

• rocketman
    rocketman

Lately I've been rooting for Venus when the sisters play. Serena came in to the US Open not in top shape and seemed more worried about her $40,000 earrings than her match play. She seems to have lost her hunger. Venus, pretty much spanked around until her Wimbledon win earlier this summer, seems to have regained her focus.

Anyway, whenever they play other players, I always want them to lose. It's the whole jw thing. I don't care if they are baptized or not - I've seen too many regular jw kids told by their parents and/or the elders that they should not participate in organized sports. To me, it's not that the Willams girls are doing something wrong - they're just living 'normal' lives, taking advantage of the opportunities that their considerable athletic talent has afforded them. I kind of 'take it out' on them as I think about young jws with athletic talent who have to be content with an occasional pick-up game as their peak years are wasted.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek
    Serena and Venus at the most are unbaptized publishers

Hmmm ... I suspect you are right, Blondie*. I thought I'd remembered some interview where one or the other acknowledged she was one of Jehovah's Witnesses. And to me, that implies baptism. Then, again, some newbies use that expression loosely -- claiming they are but not actually having taken that fateful step.

Shows you what I know -- and that ain't much.

Fats

*Today is Blondie's (wife of Dagwood) 75th anniversary if you haven't caught the comics for the past three months. One online source, "First published on Sept. 8, 1930, Blondie was created by cartoonist Murat "Chic" Young. He passed the torch to his son Dean about a decade before his death. The images are created by artist Denis Lebrun."

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

http://www.forbes.com/facesinthenews/2005/09/01/celebrities-hurricane-relief-cx_vc_0901autofacescan04.html?partner=yahootix

http://ads.forbes.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/forbes.com/facesinthenews/story/id2201678/755679130/StoryLogo/default/empty.gif/34303063373463633433316262383130?adTerms=Faces+In+The+News++Hurricane+Katrina++Celebrities++Hurricane+Relief&tickerTerms=VIA.B+GE+VIA

Faces In The News
    Serena Williams Serves Up Hurricane Relief Virginia Citrano, 09.01.05, 10:29 AM ET

Serena WillliamspicSerena Willliams on the Top 100 Celebrities List
    Most Popular Videos
    Remote-Controlled Woman
    Katrina Sends A Message
    Harley-Davidson Rolls On
    Corporations Hit The Court
    Best Cities For Singles
    More From Forbes.com Video Network

Related Quotes
    GE33.33+ 0.19
    VIA33.99- 0.16
    VIA33.87- 0.26

Most Popular Stories
    Safest And Least Safe Places In The U.S.
    How To Work For An Idiot
    With 25-Song Cap, iTunes Phone May Underwhelm
    Most Overpriced Places In The U.S. 2005
    Get News Via RSS Feed
    http://www.forbesautos.com/?boxes=custom

Serena Williams' Florida home was damaged in a hurricane last year. That experience has made the tennis ace one of dozens of celebrities stepping up now to help victims of Katrina.

Late Wednesday, after a 6-2, 6-2 second-round win over Catalina Castano at the U.S. Open, Williams said she'll give $100 for every ace she hits the rest of the year to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.
    While Williams is center court, other celebrities will take center stage at a live telethon on Viacom's (nyse: VIA - news - people ) MTV1 channel. Green Day, Ludacris and Alicia Keys have signed on, along with Dave Matthews Band, Rob Thomas, Linkin Park's Chester Bennington, David Banner, Gretchen Wilson and John Mellencamp. The show will also broadcast on VH1 and CMT. All proceeds from the show will go to the American Red Cross.
    General Electric's (nyse: GE - news - people ) NBC Universal Television Group has announced a concert for hurricane relief starring Tim McGraw, Harry Connick Jr. and Wynton Marsalis. The New Orleans-born trumpeter will also lend his horn to a telethon on Viacom's Black Entertainment Television on Sept. 9 (See: "A Telethon For New Orleans" ).

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Well done Serena!!!

The Red Cross does a terrific job!!!

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit