Is this true in the UK and Europe?

by Eyebrow2 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I heard that in the UK and Europe there are more cars that run on diesel. Right now, I think the only new car (not counting trucks, you can usually get a bigger pickup in diesel if you want here) that is usually offered as a diesel is the VW...like the TDI and Jetta, here in the US.

The reason I ask, is I am wondering how many of you that have diesel are or would consider using biodiesel, or using waste veggie oil, etc...so that you can cut your fuel expenses?

• Valis
    Valis

Oh and when I was there everyone I was with used diesel for their cars I think...and lots of Ford vehicles everywhere...thought I was dreaming that for a while lol..

Looks like the Canadians are starting in..

http://www.plantdrive.com/

And the Germans..

http://www.diesel-therm.com/veggie-kit.htm

And the Brits..

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/

and another good one..

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem
    I heard that in the UK and Europe there are more cars that run on diesel. Right now, I think the only new car (not counting trucks, you can usually get a bigger pickup in diesel if you want here) that is usually offered as a diesel is the VW...like the TDI and Jetta, here in the US.

There are quite a lot of Diesel cars here. But I think cars on gasoline are still the biggest part. Most car brands have some diesel cars. VW has probably the most, and also very small diesel cars.
    Some cars really run far on a liter of diesel. 33 km for one liter.

There are also cars, with a engine for gasoline, but not running on gazoline or diesel but running on gas.

by the way: the UK is part of europe.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

Jeep is coming out with a diesel vehicle (Liberty I think), and it will be shipped with a tank of Bio-diesel. Oil, etc. will all be non-petroleum as well.

Isn't the price difference between gasoline and diesel much greater in Europe, than in the US?

• sixsixsixtynine
  • ballistic
    ballistic

In the UK, Diesel used to be a lot cheaper but now there's hardly anything in it. Don't forget, though, that our fuel prices are heavily influenced by the tax levied on it.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Fuel prizes here:

Gasoline 95 -> 145.8 / liter (about 7,13 us$/gallon)
    Gasoline 98 -> 153.4 / liter
    gasoline super -> 153.4 / liter
    Diesel -> 105.5 / liter
    Gas -> 43.5 / liter

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

In Britain Diesel used to be 10p / Litre cheaper than petroleum (gasoline), but nowadays it's comparable. Diesel cars were generally more fuel efficient, however, and with a simpler design were easier to maintain. Unfortunately the initial cost is usually more expensive.

THe last two cars I bought my wife were diesel, and I currently drive a Vauxhall with a Turbo Diesel engine, and get 40 - 50 mpg. We're now finding cars are being produced, running on either fuel, that will do 60+ mpg.

I don't know what I'll do about my next car, but meanwhile I'm happy to run the existing one into the ground as I only really use it in bad weather, prefering the motorbike.

• Simon
    Simon

Diesel is very popular in the UK (still not as popular as in the rest of EU though) and is the only car-segment of the market that is growing.

Price-wise it is much better - 50+ miles to the gallon is typical.

Performance is also well-up with some hot-hatches even being diesel powered now. The torque on a diesel is fantastic - there is nothing like the rocket feeling you get!

Our last 3 cars have been diesel and I wouldn't go back.

• dh
    dh

I have both and for sure a 2.5 litre diesel is far more economical to run than a 2.5 litre petrol, given the choice I prefer petrol as they are quieter and historically have had better performance, but I have one diesel car which is 180bhp 4 wheel drive, and more than enough to compete with an average petrol car, and in general I've found that a lot of the new diesels coming out will give the equivelant petrol model a run for their money performance wise, but even though diesel costs more than petrol, the cars do better mileage.

Personally for the next car I buy I would look for one with dual fuel LPG conversion, or buy something that it's actually worth paying an extra £2000 to have an LPG conversion done. A nice 4.2 litre Audi A4 Avant for example ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit