"They don’t want prayers, they want food and shelter and a way out"

by trevor 4 Replies latest jw friends

• trevor
    trevor

This is a Quote from an article in ‘The Sunday Mail’ today, a British newspaper.

The Rev Calvin Castaign, a Baptist minister from Arizona who had been paying a pastoral visit to a sister church in the hardest hit lower 9 th ward when Katrina hit, told me:

‘I have been offering to pray for people, but they don’t want prayers, they want food and shelter and a way out. If the Devil put Hell on earth, this is it.’

I just wonder how people can square what is happening in a Bible belt area with the belief that there is an all powerful God listening to them ask for help and doing nothing?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I have wondered the same.

There will always be the hardcore believers. There was just a man on CNN standing in water saying, "God does everything for a reason."

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

These people are learning a very basic truth: Nothing fails like prayer

(James 2:15-16) 15

If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, 16 yet a certain one of YOU says to them: "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but YOU do not give them the necessities for [their] body, of what benefit is it?. . .

• trevor
    trevor

For the believers in New Orleans this must be one hell of a reality check. Do they keep on praying or realize that they are on their own and always have been. If they known this to start with they may have prepared better and relied less on God. They have every right to feel outraged and deserted.

In the thread ‘New Orleans is gone,’ BillyGoat said:

God help and bless everyone!

Is this a request? A demand? What does it mean exactly? Do these words have any value at all?

Does God wait until enough people have asked him for help before he cuts short his holiday and helps out?

People expect Bush to help out and he has been criticised for his slow response. Is bush more powerful and accountable than God? I am more confused about Christian belief than ever.

• trevor
    trevor

‘God help and bless everyone!’

Is this a request? A demand? What does it mean exactly? Do these words have any value at all?

As usual the silence from Christians when asked a straight forward question is deafening. So much to say about theology and belief and so little to say about reality.

I hope I never again hear a Christian complain about Christian bashing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit