Reply to AF-Part I

by dunsscot 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

A picture of Alan when being retained at the ward for evaluation. As the reader will notice, his attire is the sort with a split down the back. The staff kept reminding him that if he were to also wear underwear that he wouldn’t be constantly mooning other people every time he went out into the hallways of this complex for mentally challenged people. Alan, in response, shouted back: “I’LL WEAR MY UNDERWEAR IF YOU LET ME OUT OF HERE!” Their reply: “But, Alan, we can’t let you loose right NOW … because you represent a threat to Society. So we guess that you’ll just have to let the moon shine on!”

• Eric
    Eric

The always amiable Dun also squandered a chance to think for himself when he lobbed this easy out to the infield:

No I did not admit I sold or presently sell magazines. As Paul stated, we are not peddlers of the word. Recouping the cost for the production of a product is not technically "selling" in my book. When I go and purchase a music CD in a store and pay $13.99 or more for it, that is selling, in the sense Steph talked about. But if the record companies only charged what it took to make the CD, I do not think I could genuinely say they were selling CD. Then the CD would probably be about 79 cents. Big difference.

Duns,

When an active publisher wants a current WT-CDROM, whats the going rate? 79 cents?

Has there ever been a Kingdom Ministry that has suggested the price one ought to pay for the Watchtower CD-ROM?

Use your fat brain to figure out who is selling what to who.

Best Regards,

Eric

• Zep
    Zep

Just in case you missed it duns:[url] http://www.plainenglishcampaign.com/[/url] & Quit hiding behind your bible and dub prophecy and all that high falootin' tootin' talk mate.

Examples of the use of plain English

Here are a few "befores and afters" to show you the changes we can make to complicated documents when we simplify them.

Before
    High-quality learning environments are a necessary precondition for facilitation and enhancement of the ongoing learning process.

After
    Children need good schools if they are to learn properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before
    If there are any points on which you require explanation or further particulars we shall be glad to furnish such additional details as may be required by telephone.

After
    If you have any questions, please ring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before
    It is important that you shall read the notes, advice and information detailed opposite then complete the form overleaf (all sections) prior to its immediate return to the Council by way of the envelope provided.

After
    Please read the notes opposite before you fill in the form.
    Then send it back to us as soon as possible in the envelope provided.

Before
    Your enquiry about the use of the entrance area at the library for the purpose of displaying posters and leaflets about Welfare and Supplementary Benefit rights, gives rise to the question of the provenance and authoritativeness of the material to be displayed. Posters and leaflets issued by the Central Office of Information, the Department of Health and Social Security and other authoritative bodies are usually displayed in libraries, but items of a disputatious or polemic kind, whilst not necessarily excluded, are considered individually.

After
    Thank you for your letter asking permission to put up posters in the entrance area of the library.
    Before we can give you an answer we will need to see a copy of the posters to make sure they won't offend anyone

• ianao
    ianao

AlanF

So for your benefit, when I get home from work I'll cobble together some quotes proving my original assertions about those men.

While I am flattered that you would do anything at all for my benefit, I believe it to be completely unnecessary.

(I've read your work before, and your research is sound.)

Don't do it for my benefit, just do it again for the readers.

• Winston
    Winston

Yadirf,

I think your attacks on AF are not revelent to the debate and show how desperate you are.

What you can't refute with facts that show logically the truth, so you attack the man.

Now If AF was saying he was God's channel then I'd say an attack on the man would be fair and appropriate, but that is not the issue here.

So please keep this in mind.

The Never Ending Search For Truth

• wasasister
    wasasister

Yadirf: thank you for enlarging this very charming picture of my friend Alan. The hospital garb you so enjoy was worn by him as he held his newborn daughter. Thanks to your enlargement, I can acually see the beam of joy in the man's eyes.

I've always thought you can tell a great deal about a person by how their children turn out - not always, but many times. Alan's daughter has grown into a fine, happy, talented, and well-adjusted young woman.

Thanks again, Friday.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Duns says:

Yes we exchanged magazines for money most of the time. But I can also remember giving plenty of magazines away to interested persons who had no money. The money covered the printing cost of the literature. We were not peddling magazines. When one thinks of a sale, he or she normally thinks in terms of profit and personal enrichment. That is what the dictionary does not tell us, namely, the pragmatic (the implicational) aspect of selling.

Joelbear says:

I thought so too until a circuit overseer told us once that we shouldn't say that because it did not cost the society that much to print each magazine. I found out he was right when I was at bethel and inquired about the cost of producing a single magazine.

You are right that the individual Jehovah's Witness doesn't make a profit, but someone is.

If the truth is in the Bible, I see no need for magazines. Maybe one reference book to be used to bring scriptures regarding specific subjects together.

Joel

• felix a
    felix a

I remember pioneering in the early 80's and again in the mid 80's and as a pioneer I was able to purchase my magazines and other publications at a reduced rate from the literature counter. Hmmm... I wonder why that was? Oh wait, I remember now. It was to help us pioneers out in our ministry.

Granted it was a token amount, and would not really ever cover gas or anything else. However it was an opportunity on a basic level to help recoup ones finances.

I mean, just think if you could sell a 100 magazines at a quarter you would gross $25.00 and net about $10.00 - $15.00. Yee hah!!!

I hope you all see the point I'm making here. :-)

felix a

• Anchor
    Anchor

It's much more efficient nowadays.

Where does that $25 go today? Directly to the Society. Pioneer gets nothing. He didn't get rich before, that's true.

Do the math. Who gets rich today? Who gets double the money they used to, considerably more than they got from the pioneer??

-A

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit