To loot, or not to loot-is the point moot?

by CaptainSchmideo 22 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Okay, let's say you find yourself in the Big Easy. No lights, no phone, no motorcar, not a single luxury.

You have kids, you have yourself. Everyone is hungry, and thirsty, and drinking the water will kill you (even walking around in it isn't real safe.)

The local Piggly Wiggly has been smashed open, and everyone is helping themselves to food that has already been written off as a loss, or soon will be.

Do you join in? Or do you say "God doesn't like stealing, it's wrong. If I do the morally right thing, He will sustain me."

I'm not talking about walking out with a TV, DVDs, or a new wardrobe. I'm talking about sustenance to survive.

What would you do? (Apologies to Minimus for hijacking his question of the day...)

• Daunt
    Daunt

It's been proven throughout history that under extreme situations, the person's animal brain will take over . I can say that I won't but under those situations my attitude can change dramatically. I'd say I would steal in those situations, but I wouldn't be all too proud of myself.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Here is where the Government is way behind in it's relief efforts. The sanctity of life must come first. The law has to be changed and the people who are affected by tragic circumstances and are on the verge of losing their lives must be allowed to gather food and drink wherever it is available before it and they perish. Whole families lives are at stake here. Therefore it would not be considered looting when the preservation of life is at stake. Looting would involved the taking of items that would not save a life.

Sometimes relief effort are thwarted by the severity of the damage done and any delay can be costly. The Government needs to have in place a policy that pays back to those stores that have suffered financially from such emergency policies. Beyond what ever insurance policies are in place and take too long to receive.

Even now with such devastation many are frustrated in trying to feed and clothe and get medical attention from the outside to the unreachable inside.

When the Government declares such an emergency then that new policy would take effect immeadiately.

Just my opinion. I am sorry for those who are suffering from this tragic and horrific event.

Blueblades

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hell yes I'd steal food to stay alive.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I have never stolen anything in my life, except a piece of bubble gum I really did forget to pay for as a little girl. I really don't know if I could. I could see myself, as Upside/Down said in an earlier thread, writing a note for an IOU. My conscience could probably live with that. HL

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

There is a difference between the looters stealing for food, water, medical supplies etc. and those stealing TV's VCR's etc.

I was watching Nancy Grace tonite and a National Guard or Army official said they know the difference between the two kinds of looters, I sure hope so.

They should encourage as many folks to go into that big Winn Dixie, Piggly Wiggly and take the food, the water, the diapers because it will be a waste if they don't.

Yes,,,,, I would steal to feed my family I believe. We can say all day we might not........but think about those people on the airplane that went down........they ate the flesh of their friends to survive. You just don't know how you will react to literally survive. It is scarey.

Watching the news and seeing the frantic , desperate people, so afraid is so sad. I can't imagine being down there in that trying to get out with my kids.

• delilah
    delilah

Most of the looting I saw on CNN were people taking the necessities of life, food, water, diapers and such. Then I saw people taking armloads of clothes, and I thought, ok, maybe they need a new shirt or pair of pants. But when I heard they were looting big items, like t.v's, I thought, HEY....you got no power, how you gonna watch that big screen tv? Your house is probably under water, where you gonna put it in the meantime? Stealing big ticket items like that is NOT right. Taking things to feed your children or yourself,..... you do, what you have to do, to stay alive. Anything else is just greed.

Delilah

• damselfly
    damselfly

I would most definetly steal food to feed my babies!! ( if I had any )

I would also go back and pay for it later after things had settled down. You need to survive, not get a new tv!

Dams

• JW83
    JW83

I think the 'looting' going on is a bit of a beat-up. The pictures I saw showed people walking slowly through shops, gathering supplies, while the police watched. Surely that is only humane? Definitely not like the tv scenario of LA riots.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Food, water, etc, of course I would take it in that situation. There really is no choice. And I would take it a step futher to say it would be wrong to not take needed food and water in order to save a life.

And all those people stealing $200 shoes and arm loads of name-brand clothes...well, I bet in a few days they would trade those shoes and clothes for a drink of water. They will realize, if they have not already, what a silly waste of time their crime was. What are they gonna do with that crap now?? It's too bad so many people had to waste their time learning that lesson instead of using their time to help their fellow man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit