Let's Donate NOW they need us

by Dogpatch 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I am so shocked by the devastation in the south from Katrina. Watch the news channel for a few minutes and you can imagine the grief, heartbrake and misery that thousands of people are experiencing as we read this board. PLEASE, if you have any money at all to donate, DO IT NOW while it is fresh in your mind. I'm sure many of you already have, but let's prove that we can be more generous that we were as JWs, who typically don't give for ANYTHING and leave lousy tips. :-))

I'm not trumping my horn but I want to show others that boards like this make a difference and that we are not just here to gripe about the Watchtower, but we really care for people. Go to http://www.RedCross.org or call 1-800-HELP NOW and donate and you will get a response like this:Dear Randall,

Thank you for your generous gift to the American Red Cross 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund. This fund makes it possible for the Red Cross to help nationwide Hurricane disaster victims of 2005 with critical needs such as shelter, food, clothing, counseling and other assistance. It's because of the 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund that our response can be immediate regardless of its location or the community's ability to financially support our efforts.

Your generous support means the most to the families who rely on Red Cross to help them through some of the most difficult times of their lives.

Please continue to visit us at <http://www.RedCross.org> to see how we're using your 2005 Hurricane Relief Fund donation to make a difference, and for the most current disaster updates and stories about the people being helped.

Together, we can save a life.

American Red Cross

Check the online directory of matching gift companies to find out if your company will match your gift.
    http://www.case.org/new_mg/default.cfm?keyword=99C12142-4973-4184-9774F882B7EB6408

Note that many companies (maybe one that you work for) will match your donations as well in the above link.

If you are donating, post here so we can see how many here care. (Not necessary to post an amount.) It would be great to see 100 posts on this thread! We can do it! Of course there are other places to donate, let us know if you donate to others. I tried the FEMA website but idiotically enough could not find a contribution link. :-(

Randy

Net Soup!

http://www.freeminds.org

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

((((((((((Randy))))))))) I am in Shreveport/Bossier Louisiana area, 5 hours north of New Orleans. Our motels are jammed full. Traffic is crazy around here, stores are flooded. The personal stories I have heard already are heartbreaking. I have cried so much today.......people are on the local news, just begging for help. I havent seen anything like this , this up close , in my life. It is so scarey, people are literally fighting to survive, looking for help for the bacis needs, food , clothing, a place to lay their heads.

Even in towns an hour north of me, my old hometown of Springhill has opened the Civic Center as a shelter. My friend who lives there was so torn up , crying at the people she met there.....such sad stories. People don't even know where their missing family members can be. They are depending on the good hearts of people who are willing to give something to help them. My friend and her Mom, took four little kids , the evacuees at the shelter to Walmart and bought them new clothes and a toy. Every little bit helps. I am going to drive up there to help this weekend, as I still feel something special with that little town and the people there.

I don't have a whole lot to give money wise, as I am taking care of relatives who are down on their luck already before this storm. But , I think we can all do something. I am going to Walmart this evening to buy some food, cokes, etc. and I am taking it to the Super 8 hotel , as I heard the Motels around here are taking personal donations to distribute.

The Salvation Army, Red Cross are truly the organization that show the most Christain love IMO.

This is a horrible tragedy, and it gets worse with the news coverage of how bad things are,,,,,,,just the beginning of seeing the destruction.

People are begging for help.........begging.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I think this thread is an excellent idea, Randy. Very encouraging.

I don't have a credit card or anything other than grocery money, myself, but have been squirreling away small amounts in hopes of taking a vacation some day (haven't had one in 5 years). So I will use my small stash of cash to do the following:

http://gbgm-umc.org/umcor/print/kits/allkits.stm

This idea came from Sixofnine on another thread and I bring it up here in case there are others in a position similar to me. Those of us who can't do much can still do something!!! So please do, everybody!!!

~Merry

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I just had to share this.......here in NW Louisiana life is not at all the norm. Someone asked about the school situation for the kids who left New Orleans. The school kids here have all day long,,,,,,,,,talked about what they can do to help locally. The need here locally is tremendous,,,,,,,,there are so many children in hotels right down the street who only have the clothes on their backs.

A sweet young boy came to my door asking me to donate coloring books, paper, crayons, anything to keep kids occupied while in shelters or hotels. I told him that yeah I was going to Walmart anyway today to get things for evacuees and that I would buy some coloring books and supplies for the kids. My youngest son and this boy are going door to door asking for donations of coloring books.

Now that is a door to door work I am damn proud of .

This boy JT who is with my son is 13 and he is donating his beloved Game Cube to the kids at a shelter. His game cube, is worth $200.00 and he loves playing it. But,,,he is sacrificing it because he cares , good kids I tell ya , they make me so proud.

Every little thing someone can do, your time , money (even a few dollars out of your own pocket,) and even if you can just listen, give a hug to some of the evacues if you are in MS, Tex, Louisiana help so much.

• littletree
    littletree

There's no way someone can look at that devastation down there and not be moved to give. I just made my donation to the Red Cross. I'd being reading about the conditions in New Orleans, especially at the Superdome (where evacuees are suffering and even dying, because there's so little food, water, electricity, and sanitation), and it's horribly sad. Even if it's just a little bit, every little bit helps. Donna/littletree

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

FYI.... The radio stations here in Los Angeles are giving out web addresses and phone numbers to contact for making contributions. One of the very reputable organizations that keeps coming up is FEED THE CHILDREN. I just sent off my donation to them via the following website: www.feedthechildren.org

We talk about helping others around the world... let's pitch in and help out those at home and be thankful that we're in the position to do so. my 2 cents.

D.E.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I called the United Methodist Church 1-800-814-8765 to see what current needs for donations are through them for Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief and the lady I spoke with said, aside from financial donations, they particularly need BOTTLED WATER
    BLANKETS
    and HEALTH KITS
    The HEALTH KITS are as follows:

UMCOR Sager Brown Material Resources Specifications

Kits to Sustain Everyday Life

The following kit is used in places where people do not have ready access to many essential supplies for everyday life. Please follow the directions exactly. Include all items; do not add items that are not on the lists. Extra gifts, though given with the best of intentions, render a kit unusable and must be removed. Note: All items sent must be new!

Health Kit

(Updated: 07/11/2005)

Health kits provide basic necessities to people who have been forced to leave their homes because of human conflict or natural disaster. Health kits are also used as learning tools in personal hygiene, literacy, nutrition and cooking classes. When people gain the knowledge and materials to maintain personal hygiene, their overall health improves.

• 1 hand towel (15" x 25" up to 17" x 27")
    • 1 washcloth
    • 1 comb (large and sturdy, not pocket-sized)
    • 1 nail file or fingernail clippers (no emery boards or toenail clippers)
    • 1 bath-size bar of soap (3 oz. and up)
    • 1 toothbrush (single brushes only in original wrapper, No child-size brushes)
    • 1 large tube of toothpaste (4.5 oz or larger, expiration date must be 6 months or longer in advance of the date of shipment to UMCOR Sager Brown, No child-size brushes)
    • 6 adhesive plastic strip sterile bandages

Place these items inside a sealed one-gallon plastic bag.

Value: $12 per kit.
    In a separate envelope, please send a check written to UMCOR Sager Brown for at least $1.00 for each kit to help with the costs of processing and shipping kits around the world.

Important: Please do not include any religious, political or patriotic notes or emblems in any kit.

Thank you for your donations. You are helping to make a difference in people's lives.

Kit Packing and Shipping Instructions

(Updated: 12/13/2004)

To learn what the current needs are call 1-800-814-8765. Send completed kits to: UMCOR Sager Brown Depot, P.O. Box 850, 131 Sager Brown Road, Baldwin, LA 70514-0850.

All emergency kits have been carefully planned to make them as usable as possible in the greatest number of situations. Because of strict rules imposed by international communities regarding product entry into their countries, it is important that kits contain only the items requested and nothing more. Do not include any personal notes, money or additional materials. These things must be painstakingly removed and will impede the progress of the shipment. Please note that all items included in kits must be NEW!

Kits should be packed in boxes with only one type of kit in each box. The contents should be clearly written on the outside or inside of the box. Please complete two packing lists: one for your own records and one to put outside the box with the shipping label. Paste the shipping label/packing list on the outside of each box you send to UMCOR Sager Brown. Thank you for including the shipping list; it expedites the depot's work.

You can get the shipping label on this website in PDF and Word format. (To get the label, click on the words "Word" or "PDF format" above. The free Adobe Acrobat® Reader must be installed on your computer in order for you to read and print PDF files.)

Please send please send a check written to UMCOR Sager Brown for at least $1 for each kit for processing and shipping costs. This support is vital because it enables material resources to be sent without delay to areas in need. You may send the money for shipping directly to UMCOR Sager Brown at the address above.

~Merry

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Here are somethings that are going on in our town filled with evacuees:

Just about all the stores are taking donations, there are people from the RedCross, to the local radios there to collect anything they can.

So far one of the local radio stations have collected just today three uhaul size trucks of donations to head down to Slidell, Louisiana to help support the firefighter who are in search and rescue.

They are mainly asking for bottled water, gatoraid, non parishable foods because they are so tired, not stopping looking for people . The firefighters have to eat on the run.

My city of Shreveport/Bossier sent 55 firefighters down to Slidell for search and resue. I am sure there are many more volunteers heading that way, I have heard of EMT, Paramedics etc who are signing up.

I heard on the local news that area business are really helping out. Midas is giving 20% off for evacuees. Pat Goins beauty school is giving free haircuts to evacuees. And every sign at gas stations , stores, restaurants have on them........"Our Hearts are with you Evacuees.. Welcome".

It is all the talk you hear in town at the stores........the firefighters going out not sleeping looking for folks , etc. etc. reminds me of 9/11.

• Valis
    Valis

Looks like our college district may help out too. Apparently 4 of the 5 campuses for the community college system are completely destroyed. We are in negotiations now to open online courses so their students don't have a totally gutted semester.

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work today, and they had a way of automatically adding a donation to your total at the register if you wanted to. The grocery chain is called Farmfresh if you want to do something like that, though I'm guessing other stores have something similar. The sign at the register said that the donations went to a special fund set up by the Red Cross just for the hurricane victims. I made a small donation, wish it could have been more, but things are tight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit