Is there anything we can do to "Lower Gas Prices"?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Every now and then I get an email saying that we should all boycott a certain garage and not buy gas there anymore, and that it would eventually force that garage to lower the gas price and then we would all benefit from this.

I had another power point presentation this morning and they say to boycott Petro Canada and Shell.

Now gas is $1.16 a litre in Montreal, and should go up to $1.42 a litre this winter they say in this email.

So, my question is, do you think that we as consumers can make the gas prices come down, and if yes, how?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Lower gas usage. Boycotting won't work unless you decide to park the car.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    So, my question is, do you think that we as consumers can make the gas prices come down, and if yes, how?

Yes. Buy less. Lower demand means lower prices. Boycotting one garage will just force them to be more competitive, although normal market forces are sufficient to do this i.e. consumers tend to seek out lower prices.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I imagine the Amish folks are just laughing their asses off right now. Gas prices, blackouts, etc. they are totally unaffected by any of it.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

in the usa there is a minimum price that the gas stations have to adhere to. the pricing isnt in their control.

the only way to lower gas prices in the usa is to not elect an oil man next time.

• delilah
    delilah

I've threatened to get a horse and buggy!!!! Apparently,tomorrow, everyone has been admonished to boycott gas stations....well, as much as I think this will get their attention, I really can't see how it will affect the price of gasoline for any length of time. People will fill up, either today, or the day after the protest, so the oil companies will make their money anyways. Thismorning, as I went to work, the gas price went up, from 98.9liter, to $1.19.9L.....then at lunchtime, it was back down to $1.04L.....this is just insane. In Toronto, it's $1.20L. Unfortunately, looks like they got us by the yarbles.....

Delilah

• daystar
    daystar
    the only way to lower gas prices in the usa is to not elect an oil man next time.

or, lower demand. Stop buying SUVs!

• Gerard
    Gerard

I got this e-mail from an acquaintance:

·
    PUT IT ON YOUR CALENDAR FILL UP ON THE 6 TH OF SEPTEMBER 2005 AND NO GAS ON THE 7TH, 8TH, OR 9TH 2005 · TIRED OF THE GAS PRICES?? Let's all stand up and make a statement - we won't pay these prices.Please fill up on the 6th of September 2005 and don't buy gas on the 7th, 8th or 9th. Have a great week! · Years back on April 30,1999 a gas-out was staged across Canada and the U.S. to bring the price of gas down, and it worked. It's time to do something again. Only this time lets make it for three days instead of just one. The so-called oil cartel decided to slow production to drive up gasoline prices.

Let's see how many Canadian/American people we can get to band together for a three-day period in September, NOT TO BUY ANY GASOLINE, during those three days. LETS HAVE A GAS OUT----September 7th, 2005 TO September 9th, 2005.
    Buy what you need before these dates-- or after-- but none during this time period. If you want to help, just send this to everyone you know and ask them to do the same. We brought the prices down once before, and we can do it again. Come on North America lets stand together to make a difference!

• xjwms
    xjwms

I like the idea to:

Stop

Buying

Gas

at least for a few days. Send a message.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The solution is obvious... the instant fossil fuel costs more than renewable energy sources, there will be a rapid change in the world's economy that will cause everyone to start using the cheaper renewable energy source. That is the way humans are, we always go for the cheapest solution.

I wonder what the people in the Middle East will do when this happens. Right now oil is by far their primary export and they are doing almost nothing to prepare for the day when oil demand plummets. When this happens they will be seriously screwed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit