Cave men?

by Lilycurly 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Hobbits!? lol Oh! Do you mean that very small human-looking one they found? I loved that news.:P

As for the dating error and mistakes...a few hundreds years wrong, I could beleive, but from what I've seen they found bones WAY older then 6000 years....is a million exagerated?

The WHY would they need to live in caves is also a good point, thanks! But I've learn from talking to my dad, that everything unexplainable, they will just gloss over with the simple classic phrase " We will understand in time".

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Hobbits!? lol Oh! Do you mean that very small human-looking one they found? I loved that news.:P

Gee Lily....Don't you know my Hobbit friends?...LOL

Frodo,Sam Merry and Pippin!!!! Oh and don't forget Bilbo!

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Cro-magnon people, the ones we are most like, appear in the fossil record only 30,000-50,000 years ago. Neanderthals go back much further, more than 250,000 years. Yet they had fire, made tools, buried their dead with possessions (so apparantly had a concept of an afterlife), and had, on average, slightly larger brains than do modern humans, as well as much more robust skeletal structure. They overlapped in time, that is, both species existed simultaneously for some thousands of years, but eventually Cro-Magnon people replaced Neanderthals everywhere. It is not certain whether Neanderthals were killed by the newer Cro-Magnons, or they just died out. One idea was that Cro-Magnons, and therefore ourselves, represent an immature Neanderthal, that is, one which had not yet passed puberty. Skeletal studies have shown that young Neandertals, including infants, children, and young adolescents, did not yet have the brow ridges, and protruding jaw and general skull shape we associate with Neanderthal. So perhaps something changed genetically which allowed Neanderthals to mature sexually without adopting the full skeletal development which we associate with the classic Neanderthal. This would explain why some features associated with Neaderthals sometimes appear in "modern" humans as rare traits. I have personally seen people with the steeply sloping forehead and brow ridges, although they appeared "normal" in every other respect. Before Neanderthals, there were earlier hominids which appear less and less like us, and having more in common with apes the further back in time one goes. There has been a number of good novels written based on new knowledge of early humans, "Clan of the Cave Bear", by Jean Auel, "The Animal Wife" and "Reindeer Moon" (forgot the author), and "Dawn Land" by Joseph Bruchac.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Yes Legolas.:P I do know my hobbits, being a HUGE fan of Lord of the Rings. I just thought that poster was talking about the "hobbit" skeleton they found a few months back.

Lily- Pippin Took's number one fan!

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Clan of the Cavebear was an awesome book, its part of a series called Earth's Children, I think there's 5 of them now. There was also a movie made of Clan of the Cavebear, with Daryl Hannah. I read the book when I was about 9 or 10, questions about dinosaurs and cavemen were what lead me to doubt the WCG (Armstrong) when I was a kid.

• Daunt
    Daunt

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/10/1027_041027_homo_floresiensis.html They've found many of these hobbit-like humans, not just one. There have been people like us for hundreds of millinea. Only ignorance can refute that.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Thanks for the links! I'll have a look, and possibly show my father when I get in the mood for an argument....*sigh* I'm not very good at that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit