Will the WTBS ever relax the current clothing/dress/grooming standards?

by Utopian Reformist 40 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

Oh come one now! The society doesn't dictate what we should wear. Those are merely suggestions. Some may have read more into those suggestions than others, but that is their fault and not the fault of the society. Never did they say "you must wear this" or "Jehovah has said you will groom this way." They are only reading and presenting their opinion of what the bible says. Each individual makes their own decisions.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Legolas : they might just come up with their own fashion line - that way you'll be sure to be pleasing the almight god of the watchtower....

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The society doesn't dictate what we should wear.

So you wear jeans and T-shirts to the meetings? And the elders don't say anything?

W

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

They will never allow JWs to "dress down" because they need to keep a "nice" outward image.

Matt. 23:

25 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence.

26 You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also.

27 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.

28 So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Great feedback!

I am not sure how much my opinion leans in either direction, but, like several of you mentioned, the WTBS thrives on control and isolation. Requiring adherents to appear different from the outside, but similar to fellow members does provide some extra elements of control.

I wonder to what degree would attendance have to decrease and how many complaints would it take (if anyone is complaining) before changes would even be considered?

In the U.S., the "dress down" trend is more and more prevalent and in some organizations, dress down days occur more often than just Friday. The last three organizations I have consulted for have all been casual environments.

I imagine that the legal and financial communities may never switch or relax to casual dress environments, which could explain the WTBS who is very legal and always concerned about finances.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

If I truly had several hours to waste a week, I would personally enjoy visiting an unknown kingdumb hall completely dressed as controversial as possible. I think I would enjoy the silent irritation I would be causing and disrupting the congregation's control factor.

Elders know they cannot control worldly people, and also know they cannot risk offending a potentially interested one by dictating dress codes to an unknown party.

It would be a fun experiment.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

This past Sunday's meeting (i.e. WT study) Dress and grooming were pointed out to be signs of whether or not we were showing fathfulness. Can you believe that, also going out in the ministry and using the suggestions in the Ministry b.s. were also signs that we were being faithful.

So I don't think that they will ever relax standards for dress and grooming. They sited 2tim2:9.11 I think) and a scriptual point.

They don't want to lose any control over the dubs, not now, not ever, at least not if they can help it (i.e. make more strenous rules and policies)

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Thx for that update. It figures. I am just unbelievably glad I am out of the borg.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

No they truly will not.

They may change the significance of 1914, they may change the ruling on blood, they may change many things, but they will ALWAYS keep sisters in skirts because its demeaing and controlling. And the bulk of the R&F are made up of sisters. Its their trump card control mechanism.

• carla
    carla

No, because they far to PROUD and vain. They take great PRIDE in their appearance. hmmm, isn't pride a sin? carla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit