2006 Special Convention only for a select group to be delegates

by juni 27 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener

In reply to Juni. The selected delegates do not receive monetary aid from the society. They do, however, have centralized plans while at the convention. Bus, hotels, things like that. But, it is all paid for by each individual delegate. Sometimes the friends in a particular KH will get together and pool their money to send one of their own to the convention. This proves a spiritual boost for all involved.

Some do stick around longer and make a vacation out of it. But, my guess is that since you'll need to be a pioneer or elder for 15 years there won't be a lot of big money on this trip. Perhaps that's why they picked pioneering for 15 years, to ensure that the U.S. friends are more monetarily depressed and therefore not off-putting to the foreign friends? Maybe.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I remember that all you had to be was in very good standing in the congregation & be able to finance your trip.

I'm just so stoked I never have to go to a convention ever again & pretend to listen and enjoy it. I never EVER felt refreshed afterwards - I felt tired for days afterwards & it was always held in our South African summer (hot as hell) & during december.....

• TheListener
    TheListener

Just for clarification Lou Belle. This isn't about the regularly scheduled local District Conventions. This is for those that are going to be special delegates at various int'l conventions in different parts of the world. This time it's Americans going to European conventions.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    In reply to Juni. The selected delegates do not receive monetary aid from the society. They do, however, have centralized plans while at the convention. Bus, hotels, things like that. But, it is all paid for by each individual delegate. Sometimes the friends in a particular KH will get together and pool their money to send one of their own to the convention. This proves a spiritual boost for all involved.

Some do stick around longer and make a vacation out of it. But, my guess is that since you'll need to be a pioneer or elder for 15 years there won't be a lot of big money on this trip. Perhaps that's why they picked pioneering for 15 years, to ensure that the U.S. friends are more monetarily depressed and therefore not off-putting to the foreign friends? Maybe.

you took the words right out of my mouth

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Just posting this from the other thread from sir182:

Assembly sites (working from memory, so may not be 100% accurate):

3 in Germany (Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg)

1 in Czech republic (Prague)

2 in Poland (Poznan, Katowice)

I doubt that it would be easy to "circumvent" the qualifications--the Society will have records of who are the pioneers & elders, & will be able to double-check the number of years serving.

I don't see how Society would benefit from a group of delegates paying $thousands to the travel agency arranging all this--I think it is, as other posters have commented, a carrot for long-serving pioneers & elders, and a not-so-subtle way to encourage others to sign up for the long term.

Randy Net Soup! http://www.freeminds.org

• juni
    juni

To the Listener,

Thanks for clarifying the information. Didn't sound right to me that the Society would monetarily aid the chosen ones.

Does a Bro. Dan (?) Sydlik still organize group trips? We went to NY in '71 to view the printing facilities. He was into the travel arrangements service. For all kinds of vacations. Maybe he does the travel arrangements w/these Int'l Assemblies????

Randy had mentioned some of the locations of past Int'l Ass. I wonder how often they have these overseas? Carrot on a stick scenario sounds right. But figure the logistics - you'd have a LONG TIME before you were "mature" enough to go. Atleast 15 years and you know that will change over time. And how often do they have overseas Int'l Assemblies? Time for bed - I'm repeating myself!!!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

yes the listener I do realise it was for an international convention, We've had international delegates here & have sent before - when I was in the faith of course.

• JW83
    JW83

We had an international assembly years ago in Sydney & I remember thinking what a crock it was. What is the point? It was sort of needless travel when we should have been thinking/doing theocratic stuff, right?! Maybe it is a retirement travel plan for special pioneers? If you hold out long enough, you may get to travel overseas !!! oh bummer - to a convention ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit