Who can and can't a JW sit next to at the hall?

by JH 38 Replies latest jw friends

• sunshine2
    sunshine2
    What's the deal with the back row?

the back row was for mothers and kids.....that way they can take the kids quickly to the bathroom if they were too loud......

• prophecor
    prophecor
    there also always seemed to be an understanding that the husband sit in the seat closest to the aisle. Never did understand that one.

Psychologically speaking, it's the seat of control, it's like being in the driver's seat. You have immediate access to leaving and being the first one out. If someone comes in to sit in your row, you can easily stand step out if necessary to allow entrance, while all others down the aisle have to get a brushing, sometimes with the unfortunate butt of one not versed in the ettiquette of passing down the aisle.

Excuse me, pardon me, excuse me............ " EXCUSE YOU!!! ? "

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

prophecor (I dig your style),

You're probably right. That must be drilled into the minds of the women too. I remember a long time ago I wanted to sit 2 chairs in and my wife said NO you HAVE to sit on the end. I was like, why?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    a single brother shouldn't sit next to a single sister

This rule is to cut down on the volume of drool that must be mopped up, afterwards.

S

• karen96
    karen96

A single brother definitely did not sit near a single sister unless they were engaged. I dated a dub once from another cong, and when he visited and SAT (My Goodness!) next to me, all the older sis's had us married. It was alot of pressure and we broke up.

When i was married to an elder, it was unwritten law we needed to sit near the front. Had to be good examples, you know. I wonder if anyone picked up on my seating choices, which were moving to the back of the hall, as i was heading out the door....

Karen

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

This brings back another memory. When I was dating my wife, not yet engaged, I'd go to her evening Kingdom Hall meetings since she was in a different congo and we planned on attending hers so I wanted to get to know it. I would put my arm around her and one night an elder grabbed me and threw me into the back room and said 'YOU DO NOT ACT LIKE YOURE MARRIED UNTIL YOU ARE' and I replied 'GOOD, THATS WHAT I WANT TO HEAR, WHAT THE RULES ARE AROUND HERE.' She has a brother 14 years younger than her who would sit with us and newer ones would think he was our kid. That was always funny, I must have looked like a terrible dad cause I didn't give a crap what he did during the meeting, lol.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go to a rural kingdom hall, pretend I don't know what I'm doing, show up 20 minutes early, spot the best looking single girl there and sit next to her. If somebody gives me shit I'll say, most churches I go to don't have seating arrangements. Why does yours? You think I'm gonna rape her during the show onstage?

On second thought........... I'll be sleeping until 3 PM tomorrow I'm sure.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Not pertaining to the Hall but to the vehicle, a brother wasn't allowed to sit next to a single sister in the father's car. Whether or not there was no interest in his daughter. The wife would politely move to the back, while the brother and I would sit in the front. Just a tad sad, all the mind bending, guilt numbing tricks of the trade of being JW

• damselfly
    damselfly

Young brothers can sit where they like. Young sisters must sit with their parents, unless daddy is an elder then you may sit where you please.

I sat where and next to whoever I felt like the last year I attended. I perferred downstairs. Then we could take off our shoes put our feet up and have a good chat about boys.

Dams

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I always sit on the end of the row...

And new ones and visitors in the cong often think that me and my mother are a married couple. One brother was in the cong long enough to get his Eldership back, and he tried to counsel my mother for not being submissive to her husband!!! Til he found out I was the kid!!

• prophecor
    prophecor
    Young brothers can sit where they like. Young sisters must sit with their parents, unless daddy is an elder then you may sit where you please.

I sat where and next to whoever I felt like the last year I attended. I perferred downstairs. Then we could take off our shoes put our feet up and have a good chat about boys.

Dams

You elder's daughters were always some of the hottest and most wanted women in the Hall Lucky You's

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit