To All Of The Kids Who Survived the .....

by BrendaCloutier 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Valis No matter what me and the rest of the other jerks say about you, I think you're A-OK for doing the best you damned well can.

• hubert
    hubert

Brings back a lot of memories... Like when I was 6 and my sister was 8, we had to walk clear across town to go to school, no school busses in those days, and were told that if it started raining, just go on someones porch and stay there until the rain stopped, then continue walking to school. Nothing ever happened, either.

These days, I drive by all the (used to be) woods that I've walked through when I was a kid, and just love the memories of it.

Thanks for the reminders, Brenda.

Hubert

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol... Not only did I grow up in a house covered with lead paint, when I was a kid everyone in the house went outside and used a hydroblaster to strip all of the lead paint off the garage.

I wonder what my IQ would be if we had not done that.

• Valis
    Valis

As well my JW parents decided it was best I live around smokers at least a good 14 years of my life because of their 1975 related debts..nice..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• wednesday
    wednesday

Brenda,

that was a wonderful post. It is a miricle some of us survived. My mom fried just about everything, and I was not an obese child or young adult. The reason most likely had to do with, all the playing I did outdoors. Yes, I walked home from school and played outside until supper.

Some changes however have been for the good. I remember the teachers being rather abusive (i'm 50) and at least now they can't get away with that. Our children are better protected from adults who sexually abuse. Seat belt laws are good.

Why do people have to go to extremes ? It seems we as a society have a hard time finding a safe middle ground. A place where we can keep children safe, but our life is not ruled by lawyers.

Weds

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

A line from a recent movie: "Mankind survived the last ice age, we're certainly capable of surviving this one."

Some dogs and cats get hit by cars, most don't. Kids are smarter (although I'll never forget when I was maybe six seeing my close friend Nick get hit by a car running across a busy street.... the old lady that hit him was terrified..... and probably dead now......... time for Cyg to quit thinking so much).

• Swan
    Swan

I remember following the 5-second rule before it was even called that. A little dirt never killed anyone.

Tammy

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Heh. When I used to cook at a chain restaurant the 5-second rule became the 2-minute rule.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

We were even given hidings and never hated our parents for it. We wore clothes sewn by gran and felt "extra special" even if it didn't have a label on. We actually got our hands dirty.

We are the generation of imagination - I feel sorry & disappointed in the ones coming out now.

• pratt1
    pratt1

I also remember that we were taught to respect our elders (older people) and if an adult in the neighbood saw you do something bad, you hoped they wouldn't tell your parents or boy, you were going to get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit